Buffy squares off, physically and mentally, against former classmate Holden Webster, who has just risen as a vampire. Back at the Summers house, Dawn is terrorized by an unseen force, while Willow is visited in the library by the ghost of Cassie Newton, who says she's been sent by Tara.Write a Recap »
Episode Cast and CrewView All
- Nick Marck Director
- Kelly Donovan Set Decorator
- In this episode the First is able to hurt Dawn and break windows, but in every other episode we are told that it is incorporeal and unable to touch physical objects. This is either a goof, or there is something more going on in the Summers home than just the First.
- Dawn is shown heating a marshmallow in the microwave and then eating it but in Blood Ties she tells Ben that she doesn't like marshmallows because Buffy once told her they where monkey brains. This is either a goof or Dawn outgrew the quirk.
- When the unseen entity is hurting Dawn to make her stop the spell it pushes her against the wall and there is a lot of blood in and around her mouth, but when she looks up after the spell there is no sign of the blood, it has completely vanished.
- When Dawn is in the kitchen dancing, the music that she is listening to is the same music that Buffy was listening to in Season Five "Listening To Fear" when she is washing dishes.
- This episode won a Hugo Award for Dramatic Presentation: Short Form.
In one version of the script, when Dawn actually thinks she brought her mother back from the dead, there is the line:
Dawn: They told me I couldn't bring someone back.
Joyce: I guess I'm the first.
Which obviously is a hint that it was The First talking to Dawn.
Holden: Oh, so I'm a vampire. How weird is that?
Holden: No, no. Feels great. Strong. Like I'm connected to a powerful all-consuming evil that's gonna suck the world into a fiery oblivion. How 'bout you?
- Dawn: (singing) Anchovies, Anchovies you're so delicious! I love you more than all the other fishes!
- Andrew: You keep leaving me. I hate it when you leave me. One time you died, and I ended up a Mexican.
Jonathan: Empress Josephine.
Empress Josephine, born Yeyette Tascher, became the wife of Napoleon Bonaparte.
Holden: I let you crib off my Vaclav Havel essay at that time.
Vaclav Havel was president of Czech Republic in 1990-2003. Czech Republic is small country in middle Europe. Vaclav Havel is also writer of many theather plays.
Andrew: Think McFly...
The highly popular time-travel trilogy Back to the Future starring Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly. The antagonist of the movies, Biff Tannen (or sometimes one of his relations), only calls Marty or his father George by their last name... as in "Think McFly..." or "Hello McFly" followed by knocking on their skull. Obviously Andrew is berating Jonathan like Biff does to Marty and George.
Also, the opening scene of someone setting up an electric guitar is very similar to the scene at the beginning of the movie where Marty is trying out the Doc's new speakers, and the date of this episode, 12th November, is the date in 1955, marty goes back to the future.