Pat Morita

Pat Morita Fan Reviews (4)

• Talented and will be missed

I loved him as Mike Woo on the Mystery Files of Shelby Woo. I also heard he was on Happy Days, but I haven't seen that. I did see him in The Karate Kid a little while ago, and that was cool. Why the heck do the people I like die? It's usually not of natural causes either!
  • Arnold, It’s time to lock up.

Noriyuki "Pat" Morita
    1932-2005 To a generation he was Mr. Miyagi, Daniel-san’s (Ralph Macchio) mentor in the The Karate Kid movies, but to me he will always be Arnold from Happy Days.

As a child Morita suffered from spinal tuberculosis and was told that he would never walk again. Thanks to an operation to fuse four vertebrae he was on his feet only to be sent with his family to a Japanese internment camp in Arizona during World War II. After all this hardship and suffering Pat Morita dedicated his life to making people laugh. After years of stand-up comedy in the early '60s known as "The Hip Nip" and roles in film and television Morita landed his breakthrough role as the 50's drive-in owner Matsuo "Arnold" Takahashi.

I was trying to think of an Arnold quote, but Arnold’s best lines were either in Japanese or sound effects. To quote Pat Morita, "Only in America could you get away with the kind of comedy I did".

Good Night Mr. Morita. I will always remember you as a source of laughter and inspiration.

Stay Tuned

Tony Figueroa
  • empty

Pat Morita is probably better known to all younger people (well, children of the 80s) as Mr. Miyagi. He just may have been stereotyped into that role, but it's a classic role so there's nothing to be ashamed about. I mean, he is convincing as a great karate instructor. Other than this role, I don't know if I've seen him in anything else.
  • empty

Pat Morita is a classic actor best known for his roles as movies like "Karate Kid" the four of them, and movies like "Mulan" where most of the time he plays Chinese people. I really like his style, and though he did not have an extended variety of characters, he is still a classic actor. Really good actor.