Patricia Routledge

Patricia Routledge Fan Reviews (3)

• Patricia Routledge is, in my opinion, one of the funniest and finest actresses ever to grace the stage and screen.

'Talented' is best word to describe this amazingly versatile lady. She can sing like a nightingale, do superb comedy and very strong drama. Truly an all-round performer.

Most people would know Patricia best for her flawless portrayal of the arch snob Hyacinth Bucket in 'Keeping Up Appearances'. For five years, audiences were delighted by each episode as Hyacinth worked on her endless quest to be 'above' the rest of the community in wealth, etiquette and social standing. The results were predictably hilarious and I honestly can't think of anyone who could have done a better job.

Not many people realise that part of Patricia's extensive stage background includes extensive singing and that she is very skilled. People old enough will remember her from 'Coronation Street' and later, in her role as elderly 'private detective' Hetty Winthrop. Even aged over 80, Patricia is in excellent health and continues to work regularly. She has never married nor had children but she certainly leads a very busy life and her work brings joy to millions.
  • Patricia Routledge is one of the best British actresses of all time.

I have just watched the full length film of Hetty Wainthrope Investigates. At the end of this production, she had me in tears as was she, when she finally got through to her bereived and shocked friend. Even though she is such a great character actress - (Hiacynth is Hiacynth, Hetty is Hetty and whatever part Patricia plays, she fully transfomrs into that character) - somehow throughout the part, she manages to maintain her wonderful true self, playing her role whole heartedly and from the gut. She has the same stature, facial features and steadfast determination as my ex-mother in law,(sadly deceased), perhaps that is why I feel a great fondness and admiration for her. She deserves all the awards possible.
  • One of a kind, especially in KUP!!

Keeping Up Appearances was made under a constellation of lucky stars, but the brightest star of them all is Patricia Routledge. She is a brilliant actress, a superb technician, a comedienne with a sing-song sweet soprano voice and perfect timing. Like musicians, it's either you have it or don't. Patricia Routledge shames and eclipses all other comedians. She's simply perfect, now created a Dame by her Majesty, she has all the reasons to invite everyone for her candle light suppers!!!