Steve Irwin

Forums: Steve Irwin Board: Revenge against stingrays?

windseeker15

[1]Sep 21, 2006
    • level: 9

Revenge theory in stingray attacks

BRISBANE, Australia (AP) -- At least 10 stingrays have been found dead and mutilated on Australia's eastern coast since "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin was killed by one of the animals last week, an official said Tuesday, prompting concerns of revenge attacks on the normally docile fish.

The popular television star was killed last week when a stingray barb pierced his chest as he filmed a TV show off Australia's Great Barrier Reef, prompting an outpouring of grief in Australia and among his fans worldwide.

The dead stingrays have been discovered on two beaches in Queensland state, including two that were found Tuesday with their tails lopped off, state fisheries department official Wayne Sumpton said.

Sumpton said fishermen who inadvertently catch the diamond-shaped rays sometimes cut off their tails to avoid being stung, but the practice is uncommon.

Michael Hornby, the executive director of Irwin's conservation group Wildlife Warriors, said he was concerned the rays were being hunted and killed in retaliation for the TV star's death.

The rest of story can be found on CNN.com

Come on people. While I have never really like stingrays (I think they're creepy) this kind of thing is not what Steve Irwin would have wanted.

Wouldn't be opposed to killing the one that got him, but hunting rays at random is against what Steve worked for.

Edited on 09/21/2006 1:57pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KraigA

[2]Sep 21, 2006
    • level: 36
    I suppose your right, but to be honest.. I don't care, I don't care for the sting-rays (only because of what has happened) and obviously other people don't either.

And if I saw a sting-ray tommorow, down at the beach.. I probably would throw a rock at it or something (again, only because of what has happened).

It sucks that Steve Irwin is dead. Killing Sting-rays, Killing animals is wrong.. but in this case, to me I think isn't as bad as let's say, if something like a tiger killed him.

I heard somewhere that fish don't feel much pain anyway! Is this true?
    Edited on 09/21/2006 2:03pm

sasg_2

[3]Sep 22, 2006
    • level: 52
    oh come on. This is insane. Killing stingrays won't bring Steve back. that's just cruel. Doesn't anyone think that an animal lover like Steve would want that?

KraigA

[4]Sep 22, 2006
    • level: 36
    Maybe those people were scared of seeing them, or having them near by, because of what happened.

And those people were scared the Sting-rays might "kill again" so they decided to kill it first.

teespoon

[5]Sep 24, 2006
    • level: 33
    what ever happened to Steve is no reason to kill innocent animals! it was a freak accident!!! sting rays didn't kill him because they are mean animals, it was an ACCIDENT! trust me this is not what Steve wanted and people shouldn't be scared of stingrays! I think it's insane to start killing something out of pure fear! seriously the chance of being killed by a sting ray is as big as i donno let's say falling on a piece of glass and piercing it true you heart! Really people pull it together and leave the animals alone, this kind of stuff makes me so angry...I'll stop saying any more before saying anything stupid!

LordGrievous

[6]Mar 20, 2007
    • level: 13

KraigA wrote:
    Maybe those people were scared of seeing them, or having them near by, because of what happened. And those people were scared the Sting-rays might "kill again" so they decided to kill it first.

Stingrays have caused less deaths them most animals on this planet your just a stupid nitwit and is not a true-fan of the crocodile hunter.

Killing stingrays is going against what Steve wanted and killing them in his name is just insulting him.

Stikky

[7]May 2, 2007
    • level: 15
    KraigA wrote:
    I suppose your right, but to be honest.. I don't care, I don't care for the sting-rays (only because of what has happened) and obviously other people don't either.

And if I saw a sting-ray tommorow, down at the beach.. I probably would throw a rock at it or something (again, only because of what has happened).

It sucks that Steve Irwin is dead. Killing Sting-rays, Killing animals is wrong.. but in this case, to me I think isn't as bad as let's say, if something like a tiger killed him.

I heard somewhere that fish don't feel much pain anyway! Is this true?

You people make me sick! I didnt even like Steve Irwin that much but i respected what he stood for. If he knew his fans had turned to killing and mutilating the animals that caused his death he'd be rolling over in his grave. The stingray didnt kill Steve Irwin to piss you off, it's a wild animal and he was in it's territory, he'd be the first to admit that it wasnt the stingray's fault.

Steve Irwin was annoying and loud mouthed but you cannot deny that he was passionate about what he did. He stood for conservation and protection of all animals, especially dangerous ones! You should be ashamed of yourselves for even THINKING about condoning this kind of behaviour.

wendila

[8]Jun 8, 2007
    • level: 15
    for the record, my birthday is September 4.

SoylentYellow

[9]Jul 9, 2007
    • level: 21

Theres a reason why Jacque Cousteau died at the ripe old age of 87 while Irwin died at half that age. Steve was show boating as usual and it finally caught up with him. A good quality puncture resistant Kevlarwet suit would have kept him from being injured. Hopefully his wife and children will have more sense when screwing around with deadly animals.