William Shatner

William Shatner Fan Reviews (16)

• I Don't Know Why So Many Knock His Acting Career. :idea:

I have no idea where people get the insane idea that William Shatner CAN'T act! :roll: Sure, his directing career and singing career than noteworthy; at least, not for GOOD reasons! But William Shatner sure knows how to ACT, even if he's making a joke of how he is portrayed as an actor! :lol: The only other person that I know of who does that is Adam West! His performance in the original version of "The Twilight Zone" is a role that many actors, past AND present, would LOVE to call their own. And the fact that he can also call himself the original Captain James Kirk, . Hooker, and the voice of Ozzie the Possum in "Over the Hedge" just adds to his amazing resume! Sure, other actors have had BUSIER careers, but I doubt that MANY have had the same degree as success that William Shatner has had! For this, I salute him! 8) Enough said! ;)
  • Beam me up Captain!

Love this guy. His cockiness is all tongue in cheek. Loved him as Kirk, love him as Tj Hooker, love him in Weird or What; he's pretty damn funny.
  • Cocky sucker.

1.5
    Don't like him very much. Thinks he is a bigger star then he is. A has-been. Full of himself. The 5 point is for his role in the movie "Showtime" where he is funny.
  • The true quality is in the sub text!

Aside from Star Trek, which is a gem on its own, I must admit that when I first thought of Shatner I thought that perhaps a pharmacologic intervention might be in order.

And then I watched him come forward on comedy venues like "Just For Laughs" and in a sincere and unselfconscious fashion, be utterly hilarious. Or watched him be everything I believe lawyers to TRULY be on Boston Legal (admittedly, not my favourite show!), and he was brilliantly deserving of his kudos.

And THEN, I heard Christopher Plummer interviewed and part of his response on an issue described how brilliantly Shatner was on the Stratford (Ontario, Canada) stage in understudy for Plummer, and that he knew then Shatner would be a star. And Christopher Plummer is arguably one of the best actors EVER! So he should know.

Bottom line: Shatner is a gem, and all the shinier because he can laugh at himself, is fearless in his artistic offerings, and more talented than he is given credit for.
  • James T. Kirk, T. J. Hooker, Denny Crane, these are stuffs that legend is made of. This is a man who is a true legend. An individual like no other!

James T. Kirk, T. J. Hooker, Denny Crane, these are stuffs that legend is made of. This is a man who is a true legend. An individual like no other! He has never been afraid to speak his mind and he has not shown the double standard that his mate Leonard Nimoy showed. Leonard time and again downplayed Star Trek and then always at the opportune moment made his comeback. Bill has always remained true to the legacy of James T. Kirk. He has contributed enough in Science Fiction alone to be called a legend.
    His comic timing was on show on Star Trek but it really came to fore on the show "Boston Legal". It was no surprise that I was hooked onto the series and the way Bill lapped up each scene he was in and ate the scenery that you had to salute this gem of a man for his performance.
  • William Shatner:A Man For All Mediums!

I adore William Shatner for the simple reason that he is not afraid to try anything and he can laugh at himself! I wish more of the"stars" in Lalaland were are real as Mr.Shatner. He will always be Captain Kirk, but is that such a bad way to be remembered? As a hero to a whole generation of children and young folk? If we ever do get the chance to travel to new worlds, I hope that they name a planet or some such heavenly body after Mr.Shatner. A fitting tribute to an actor that did as much for the space program in some ways as John Glenn.
  • Until further notice there will be no Shatner Award swag bags (Subject to change).

Introducing the Shatner Award. On December 20th 1986, William Shatner was the guest host on SNL. In his opening monologue Mr. Shatner mentions that one of the most interesting aspects of the Star Trek phenomenon has to be the conventions. The monologue dissolves into a sketch set at the16th Annual Star Trek Convention being held in a convention room of a local Holiday Inn. The highlight of the sketch is when Mr. Shatner growing tired of the Trekker’s nerdish questions says, "You know, before I answer any more questions there's something I wanted to say. Having received all your letters over the years, and I've spoken to many of you, and some of you have traveled... y'know... hundreds of miles to be here, I'd just like to say... Get a life, will you people? I mean, for crying out loud, it's just a TV show! I mean, look at you, look at the way you're dressed! You've turned an enjoyable little job, that I did as a lark for a few years, into a colossal waste of time!"

I end my Child of Television column with a quote. There have been more than a few articles where I have quoted Mr. Shatner in this famous SNL sketch. I use Mr. Shatner's quote whenever I felt that someone needs to be told to, "Get a life!" because "It's just a TV show". This memorable moment and my quoting there of has inspired me to create The Shatner Award. The first meeting of the Shatner Award committee was held at the Don Knotts room of the Burbank Holiday Inn, February 1st 2006 at 7:43 P.M.: The Shatner Award committee was informed that in order to be compliant with Robert's Rules of Order they must use actual dates instead of Star Dates.

New Business:

The Shatner Award will be given to those individuals or groups who need to be told to, "Get a life!" because "It's just a TV show". The rules for winning a Shatner Award are as follows:

1) The winners need to have had made their SHATNER worthy comment in a public forum i.e. TV, Radio, Web site, Blog, Podcast etc. Since the Shatner worthy quote will be printed on the award itself, the Shatner Award committee needs to verify the actual quote with a Google Search. (Sorry we can't just give Shatner Award to your uptight Aunt Betty or self-righteous brother in-law Phil.)

2) Comments made prior to February 1st 2006 will not be considered. (It will otherwise be a fulltime job giving out retroactive Shatners. (My apologies to The Parents Television Council and The American Family Association, but we the committee are sure that there will be many Shatner Award worthy comments in your future). 3) There will be no nominees. Those who deserve a SHATNER will receive a Shatner Award.

4) To avoid any conflicts of interest, neither Mr. Shatner or any Shatner Award committee member shall be eligible for a Shatner Award, but it is an honor just being considered.

5) Shatner Award winners need not be present to win. (The Shatner Award Committee would actually prefer it that way)

6) The Shatner Award committee is currently entertaining nicknames for the Shatner Award. (So far we have rejected "The Willy", "The Shat" or "The Captain’s Log", but we are considering "The Kirk", "The Crane" or "The Hooker.") 7) The Shatner Award committee promises to give the Shatner Award the respect it deserves. Therefore we will not make comments like, "Last week we Shat on Pat Robertson". This is beneath us.

8) Unlike other awards, the Shatner Award committee encourages political statements with the understanding that your statement may make you eligible for another Shatner Award(Limit one (1) Shatner Award per statement).

9) Shatner Award winners who engage in conduct unbecoming a Shatner Award winner may win another Shatner Award.

10) Until further notice there will be no Shatner Award swag bags (Subject to change).

A motion was made to approve the Shatner Award eligibility rules.

The motion passed by a vote of 13 yes, 03 no and 01 GET A LIFE.

Respectfully submitted

Tony Figueroa,
    Committee Chair
  • A very cool guy.

As an actor that been acting way longer then ive been living, I have to say I am a young fan and I grew up fan of William Shatner. This guy is like so cool. He is known for playing funny character on what hes doing these days. Bonston Legal, Shatner plays Denny Crane a funnny, and very crazy guy. When I was really young I watched William Shater when he was hosting a reality show called Rescue 911 which was a show that was based on real events that saved lives. William Shatner is also known for doing these funny Priceline commericals that is very funny to watch.
  • empty

Great actor with lot of great accomplishment.

I think William Shatner is probably one of the most popular face on TV because of all the great work he did on every project he worked on. Hopefully, we will see him a little bit more on Big screen.
  • Crane, Denny Crane & The Legendary Capt. James T. Kirk!

William Shatner is the man of Many Talents Although Don't hate me for saying this but I don't think Singing is one of them. I Love Him As Captain James T. Kirk In the Original Star Trek (To Me He'll Always Be Captain Kirk) and in Boston Legal though Sadly, I stoped watching it cuzz i got fed up having to tape SVU while watching Boston Legal, I still love the show and hope to get Season 1 on DVD Someday. I Loved his Interactions with Alan Shore (Played by the Still Smokin' Hot James Spader) Him and James Play off each other Terrific I Love their Characters more then The other Characters on the show.

But back to the Shat-man, I Believe William Shatner is a Hollywood Legend he's great at what he dose and he dose it well, His First guest Apperance on "The Twilight Zone" (Episode #5.123: "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet") is a Classic. William Shatner Has Boldly gone where Every man has gone before and is still going strong!
  • He can pull off anything and still get away with it!

Canadian-born actor who - despite his detractors - has notched up an impressive 50-years-plus in front of the camera, most recently displaying comedic talent, and being instantly recognizable to several generations of cult TV fans as the square-jawed Capt. James T. Kirk, commander of the starship USS Enterprise.

Shatner spent many years honing his craft in TV and live theater before debuting alongside Yul Brynner in The Brothers Karamazov (1958). He was kept busy during the 1960s in films such as The Intruder (1962) and Judgment at Nuremberg (1961) and on television guest-starring in dozens of shows such as "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" (1955), "The Defenders" (1961), "The Outer Limits" (1963) and "The Twilight Zone" (1959). In 1966 Shatner boarded the USS Enterprise for three seasons of "Star Trek" (1966), co-starring alongside Leonard Nimoy, with the series eventually becoming a bona-fide cult classic with a worldwide legion of fans known as "Trekkies".

After "Star Trek" folded, Shatner spent the rest of the decade and the 1970s making the rounds guest-starring on many prime-time TV shows, including "Hawaii Five-O" (1968), "Marcus Welby, M.D." (1969) and "Ironside" (1967). He has also appeared in several feature films, but they were mainly B-grade (or lower) fare such as the embarrassingly bad Euro western Comanche blanco (1968) (aka The White Comanche) and the campy Kingdom of the Spiders (1977). However, the 1980s saw a major resurgence in Shatner's career with the renewed interest in the old "Star Trek" (1966) television series culminating in a series of big-budget "Star Trek" feature films including Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979), Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982), Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984), Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986), Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989) and Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991). In addition, he starred in the lightweight cop series "T.J. Hooker" (1982) from 1982 to 1986, alongside spunky Heather Locklear, and surprised many fans with his droll comedic talents in Airplane II: The Sequel (1982), Loaded Weapon 1 (1993) and Miss Congeniality (2000).

He has most recently been starring in the David E. Kelley television shows "The Practice" (1997) and "Boston Legal" (2004).
    overall he is a very good actor.
  • Captain Kirk rules.

William Shatner is well known for playing one of the most iconic and famous fictional characters of all time. Capt. James T. Kirk is so well known around the world, to some extend so is TJ Hooker. But it's Capt. Kirk that takes all the attention. Ever since he played the enterprise commander back in the 60s he has forever etched that sci fi history in the world's minds. William Shatner's performace in the series surely made people love star trek for all its glory. He does it so well, that the persona of Capt. Kirk is very much associated with his own life. He is perhaps one of the most original tv heroes of all time.
  • He is a comedian! So many times he has been put in dramatic roles and that has left people wanting... but watch Boston Legal and you'll see he's a comedian!

It bears repeating: He is a comedian! So many times he has been put in dramatic roles and that has left people wanting... but watch Boston Legal and you'll see he's a comedian!

For years people tried to convince me he was a talented actor, but Trek just didn't do it for me, and while TJ Hooker gave him material he did better with it wasn't until i saw him on the Practice and now Boston Legal that I realized this man is a VERY talented comedian... and if that were the talent that people had been showcasing and using over the years he would be much better respected.

I don't think Free Enterprise gets the most mileage out of his comedic talents, but it is one of his better films as he is very relaxed, not trying to act, but rather enjoying the humor, giving us reasons to laugh at ourselves, and finding a bit of humor in his own life and career.
  • A Screen Gem!!!

Girl in my class had a dream about him last night. Wish it had been me! That would have been a very entertaining dream no doubt! Gotta love that Mr Shatner!!! Hard to believe for most decades he was just remembered as the hero Kirk. Such a funny guy as anyone who caught his performance in SHOWTIME with Murphy & De Niro could testify to!
  • He is an excellent actor!

So many people over look Shatner because of his cheesey roles on Star Trek and The Twilight Zone. But he is still a classic actor and has much talent when it comes to the actors of now adays. So many actors have lost what it is to be an actor. They are all just too much on the side that it is all about publicity. He on the other hand works with his craft not the need to be in the tabloids! The work is more important to him then the eye of the people and that is what makes him so great!
  • WOW

I think, and im sure a few of you will agree with me, William Shatner is one of the all time greats of TV

He made me PML in his role as Stan Fields in Miss Congeniality with Sandra Bullock LOL really funny!

Also people in england will have seen the all bran adz hes done, they are also very funny lol

I think he needs his own show!

His role in star trek is timeless as he played the REAL First captain James T Kirk!!! WOW!

Plus he owns a ranch and loves horses..... Hes my new fave actor!!! Like i said! Give this guy a show!!!