TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Forums: Reality: "Fakery" in "Reality"

SOFANIELAS

[1]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 5

Hi fellow tv.commers,

I am a media studies student and as part of a research topic i am exploring why audiences put trust into reality andsimilarprogramming and why, when the press tell of 'faked' footage, there is more deabte over these types of shows.

Any opinions on why you would turst a reality show more would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sophie.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

DojinFan_2K

[2]Jul 13, 2012
    • level: 13

SOFANIELAS wrote:

Hi fellow tv.commers,

I am a media studies student and as part of a research topic i am exploring why audiences put trust into reality andsimilarprogramming and why, when the press tell of 'faked' footage, there is more deabte over these types of shows.

Any opinions on why you would turst a reality show more would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sophie.

The reason for said "fakery" is that Reality TV shows are always looking for that 1 thing to keep their viewers coming for more. Otherwise, all Reality shows would be as slow-paced as COPS & would be just as predictable. The worst of these "Fakers" would be found among those covering lifestyle-related themes such as modeling, wedding planning or even "nothing" shows like Jersey Shore.

At least, that's my take on the subject. Cool

jonas-winslo

[3]Aug 16, 2012
    • level: 2

It's still unscripted. Just because the producers put them in awkward situatioans doesn't make it fake.