Forums: Redesign Feedback: Another redesign in January?!

BuffyAnneLove

[1]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 58
    According to this, we can expect yet another redesign in January. Or is this the "January" redesign? The news also may be made big here, so speak up about this.

Apparently, this is all because CBS wants to compete with Hulu. If they want that so badly, then why not please the people who already use it and work to improve via their ideas and suggestions instead of doing something like this? The traffic on this site went down drastically when they redesigned a few months back. See this where it shows how much the traffic went down and how it just keeps falling lower and lower.

The site is losing people. If a competition is what they want, a creaming is what they are going to get.

This can be easily fixed. Just give us an option to go back to the old look. So many people will pick that and you can keep your old members plus gain whatever extra you normally would.

Feedback is supposed to be listened to. It's not something to dangle in front of people and only say, "Thanks!" when things are going well and pretending it is not there when things are not. This is not the right path for this website to be taking. So many members have left and I think that whether you like the latest redesigns or not, you have to admit it is taking its toll on the value of the site and the number of members.

Well, we now know why they are doing it. CBS wants to be the big watch TV online people. And now we know why they are not listening to us. They want to go with the trendy look that most people generally like at the expense of us, its established and loyal members. This saddens me.

I just don't know what else to say at this point...
    Edited on 12/16/2008 7:28pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

buffyTVSrox

[2]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 33
    Well, CBS, congratulations. You're no longer the people who own TV.com, but rather the people who own "that crappy hulu-wannabe site with all the disgruntled longtime users".

According to Alexa, a trusted and accurate site, in the past three months the number of global internet users visiting the site has gone down 18.8%.

You lost nearly 1/5 of your users! And that doesn't even take into account the number of users who have stayed on despite the changes but still despise them.

Mac-Ale

[3]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 60
    The link was useful. I don't know if this thread will be locked, but it was obvious that CBS aquired CNET and TV.com to do precisely what the article says. It was always obvious. They will probably fumble a lot, but online video content is the way of the future.

If users want the database to be competitive and useful, they should strive to make program guides as accurate as possible. There are a TON of completely inaccurate or non-updated guides on TV.com. It's probably no longer enough to hope guides will be updated or accurate "some day", the new TV.com is moving on.

CBS may be rolling the dice, I admit. They may lose 1,000 long time users, tens more editors may leave. But they are risking it on many, many thousands of new and unique visits based on video content and new users.

I don't necessarily agree with the decision, but that's the way of the business world.
    Edited on 12/16/2008 7:40pm

123home123

[4]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 55
    The new users don't seem to be interested in editing guides and submitting accurate and useful information. I've seen some of the long-time quality editors depart or become extremely inactive this fall since the redesign. This is a horrible sign for TV.com. They really seem to be killing off the historical basis of this site, leaving nothing to distinguish it from other legal streaming video sites. There are many legal options to watch full TV episodes online these days. TV.com should not be trying to join the crowd and become another face in the crowd.

Mac-Ale

[5]Dec 16, 2008
    The new change is quite minor. Sure, a lot of things were badly botched in September, and they weren't fixed. But the idea that a multibillion dollar company like CBS is going to make the site more like TVTome is not tenable. It meets none of their income objectives.

For every retired editor, I can point to scores of guides that are never updated (I'm not even going to hint at the forbidden topic of botched guides). As just one example (there are MANY), one VERY popular daily show that makes the news almost weekly hasn't been updated since early October. If CBS is interested in linking to up-to-the-moment video of that program, what are they going to do with that guide?

TV.com ought to monitor editors, and closely supervise their work. The "level" system and the ability to aquire far more guides than an individual has interest in or knowledge of should have been scrapped LONG ago. Either that or scrap it all and make it open source. Wikipedia is often much more timely and accurate than TV.com.

BuffyAnneLove

[6]Dec 16, 2008
    Personally, I am not asking them to do away with videos. I am not asking for TVTome either. I'm asking for tv.com. The videos I thought were becoming a nice addition. Addition being the keyword. I think they would have done better if they just introduced the videos alongside what was already there. Would make everyone happy. The videos should not be the main focus. And no, they will not get all of the extra hulu viewers over here because of this. Why? They stream videos FROM hulu.

crtoddity

[7]Dec 16, 2008
    That was smart...Ok, so I was being sarcastic.

Mac-Ale

[8]Dec 16, 2008
    BuffyAnneLove wrote:
    Personally, I am not asking them to do away with videos. I am not asking for TVTome either. I'm asking for tv.com. The videos I thought were becoming a nice addition. Addition being the keyword. I think they would have done better if they just introduced the videos alongside what was already there. Would make everyone happy. The videos should not be the main focus. And no, they will not get all of the extra hulu viewers over here because of this. Why? They stream videos FROM hulu.

I don't disagree with any of that. I'll be the first to say it was inexcusable that adding new features broke the old features.

pikastatic100

[9]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 48
    This is just insane! Another redesign in January?! For crying out loud, CBS, if you want to compete against Hula, this is not the way to do it! Forgive me, but I am really almost starting to despise TV.com right now. The major September redesign happened just a couple of days after I joined, and I was actually alright with it. But now, I am seriously starting to get pissed. TV.com might as well have been given the ticket of doom. Whether it happens in 2 months, or a year, unless the big boss upstairs actually listens to our requests, this site is going to die. Longtime and newer users alike just keep leaving, more and more of them. It's just sad, really sad...

ycc1988

[10]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 20
    I've been to Hula. I hate their design.

chameleonic1

[11]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 13
    Well well well...I didnt know the "Dumb-Suits-who-cancel-great-shows-before-they-have-even-been-give-a-chance" now owned Tv.com...it is all becoming a lot clearer why this site is failing.

123home123

[12]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 55
    I certainly don't want TV.com to become the old TVTome. Though I found the recap information interesting on some guides, I was never motivated to contribute info or post on any forums on the old site. But I don't think CBS should be destroying the TV.com info database either. That seems to be the plan. I don't care if they add videos. If they actually work without visual hiccups and glitches, that's great. Then I don't have to go to other sites like Hulu, CBS.com and scifi.com to watch legal streaming video.

But adding the video features doesn't mean they need to dismantle the database. So many long-time features are getting buried in more and more drop-down menus, almost as if someone at CBS is embarrassed that people actually visit this site to learn more about TV episodes and shows. Strange, considering that is what draws so many people here. As many have pointed out, it shouldn't be that hard to add videos without breaking the database side of the site. Besides, it wasn't even the videos that broke the site in September. It was the unnecessary design changes that didn't seem to have any purpose at all other than change for change's sake.

Mac-Ale

[13]Dec 17, 2008
    I'll be the first to say that I don't like the look of the program guides now. Much of the info is still there, it's just off to the left. I assume to make room for videos and photos of currently running shows. Those of us who like TV from the 50s and 60s look at a lot of blank nothing. I personally DON'T like the new TV.com.

I don't think anyone is dismantling the database, it is mostly just not making it a high priority anymore.

But CBS seems to want to emphasize current TV (video, interviews, polls) on the site. This site as an index to TV was made in 2005 and got a redesign in 2006. The Summer 2007 mess was almost all in submission forms and changes in the editor scoring system (not visible to visitors and not asked for by editors). Now in 2008, it is being remodeled to suit the new owners. TV.com v2.0 lasted over two years. This is not that excessive in terms of makeovers, especially since new owners have their own agendas.
    Edited on 12/17/2008 11:59am

dju010

[14]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 88
    Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Hulu and tv.com would be merged at some point into one site - as the big TV site, information and video wise. Sadly currently the focus is only on the videos, but I can imagine that combined decently it could be something really interesting. Sadly I can't watch the Hulu stuff...

Jaxiecracks

[15]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 41
    Thanks for bringing that article to our attention! I'm not sure where the information came from, but from what I'm told, they are probably talking about the redesign that went out yesterday. That said, we're constantly looking for ways to improve the site, so changes in January are still possible.

youtube_tv

[16]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 25
    if they do another one of these "redesigns" in January. they should for sure go for the current bugs and the new layout. i really think we need some color on the forums, i just see so much white. and living in the upper michingan where all you see is snow, you get sick of white

BuffyAnneLove

[17]Dec 17, 2008
    A change back to what was better? Seems like it would be a very good change.

buffyTVSrox

[18]Dec 17, 2008
    Yes, TV.com, you MUST change your look to keep up with the internet.

Somebody might want to let top sites like Google, Yahoo, Amazon, and eBay know that their success is a coincidence because they've made a BAD decision to make minimal if any changes in the past five years.
    I mean, no one ever uses those sites. They're just too stuck in the past and not changing. Right? Wait...

crtoddity

[19]Dec 17, 2008
    Ok. So if there will be yet another design.....Will are current feedbacks be heard and taken into consideration? Will the makers of the design listen to what ,"We think is cool and hip?" or will we be ignored YET AGAIN!? while the creators of this design continue ripping off other people's web design ideas.
    Edited on 12/17/2008 2:55pm

topoopon

[20]Dec 17, 2008
    • level: 19
    At least hulu has shows I watch... CBS?:Not so much.