Forums: Redesign Feedback: Enhancement requests

more_ncis_now

[1]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 58
    Dmarex has created a thread in which bugs can be reported - Found Here. I'm creating this one for enhancements - things that aren't specifically bugs but that need some improvement since the redesign.

So I'll start with...

* If there is an error with the posting of your comment, you get a really helpful error message that says "There was an error posting your comment." Okay...but what's the error? Could we have enhanced feedback messages for post/comment problems?

* Half of the user profiles have words that begin with capital letters. The other half does not. Please can you change one half of the profile (preferably to include capitals) so that the page is consistant in it's use of capital letters?
    Edited on 09/18/2008 11:09am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EJamison

[2]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 17
    Now that we have those red, green and blue circles on posts, I would like a way to mark a thread as uninteresting. I would suggest a black circle, or maybe a black diamond. Only I would see the ones that I marked. I'm not telling other people that it's uninteresting.

I would also like to see the post count to the right of the circles (to the left of the thread description).

Also, below the thread description where it has the author's name it should also include "on (date) (time)".

And I would suggest the quotes have a light gray background.

The first blog and any blog that is less than 7 days old should be fully displayed.

The "About Me" should be on the right side at the top. The people search should be on the bottom.

On polls, the selection buttons should appear to the left of the options so there isn't so much white space.
    Edited on 09/18/2008 11:47am
    Edited 5 total times.

mackymacaspac

[3]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 78
    Profile Page:

Main
    1. Only 4 tracked blogs? Please increase.
    2. Only 1 favorite show and 1 favorite person? Please increase and let us choose.

About Me
    1. Accepted/Rejected stats missing (not sure if this matters to everyone) Blog
    1. Bullets replaced by separation of enumerated items using dotted lines? Why? I loved the bullets.
    2. What's the difference between [username]'s Blog and My Blog Archive (except for the number of blogs displayed per page)?

Favorites
    1. Checkboxes are gone. Now you have to remove favorites one by one.
    2. Favorite people list is still not sorted alphabetically and can't be sorted.

Contributions
    1. Submission Status: I kinda liked the distinction between Accepted (green) and Rejected (red) before.
    2. Submission Status: Missing the navigation by numbers on top. Next/Previous are only options to navigate.
    3. Submitted Links: Missing the navigation by numbers on top. Next/Previous are only options to navigate.
    4. Submitted Links: No sorting

Friends
    1. My Favorite Shows (right side): shows different set of shows from the ones displayed on the main profile page. Even low-rated shows are displayed. Either have the ability to choose favorite shows or just retain the one on main page.

Preferences
    1. It would've been nice if the preferences were on the main window too and not in a pop-up window (as before).

Person Guide Biography
    1. The font looks too small and too pale. If the page has no bannered photo, the page looks dull. Any possibility to change this? Person Guide Photos
    1. Related Galleries (right side) aren't really related at all.

Angus_Mac

[4]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 71
    SHOW GUIDES
    *If your SHOW BANNER was custom added, it's GONE now. Bye-bye. Bring them back, please!
    *No opening photo for most shows.
    *Top contributors only list 6 plus retired plus banned players. Bring back the top 10 and put retired in the regular sorted list. Trusteds and Editors stay on the list. Add user's personal score if greater than 0.
    *Review Scores limited to 0.5 increments. Must hit RESET first and then score again. Undo that, and allow sliding on the fly. This is unintuitive.
    *Cast listed on main page is only 5 people. It needs to be all show stars.
    *Having the Show Rating score on the right side of every episode page is CONFUSING, especially when you're trying to rate the specific EPISODE. Get rid of it on the EPISODE specific pages.
    Edited on 09/18/2008 11:30am

more_ncis_now

[5]Sep 18, 2008
    (from the general user thread)

* Add a line between the forum post and the signature because in most cases, it's impossible to tell where the post ends and the signature begins.
    * Name needs to be capitalized in the about me section if it isn't removed (seems pointless?)
    * 'Editor' and 'Trusted Contributor' should be capitalized in the 'My Contributions' section.
    * All section headers should be capitalized.
    * Two of the emblems relating to contribution amounts are missing (blank spaces)
    * PM inbox no longer appears to have an envelope when you have mail. Please please can we have that back?
    * Under 'Favorite Shows' there is a note saying 'Updated Daily'. This either needs to be removed or reworded 'cause if I don't change anything in my favourites, it won't update.
    * Everything in the expanded about me section needs capitalizing (Member Since, Last Online, Emblems etc)
    * View all favourite threads (or user chosen threads) in the 'Community' dropdown?
    * The third dropdown on the main listings tab (defaulted to 'All Channels') has only that option - will we be getting the option to 'favourite' channels so that they appear in that dropdown?
    * Can gender be removed too from the profile? I know several people who prefer to keep their gender private due for internet security reasons.

dju010

[6]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 88
    The banners are really missing from the site. Bring them back.

More tracked blogs please.

Only three contributors after the editor isn't enough. That makes it hard to even see who is qualified for a TU status (top 5).

sfulton229

[7]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 3
    What happened to the external link option? I liked that and would like to have that ability back.

prettyedy

[8]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 23
    The redesign has too much white. It is like looking into a lightbulb. The little letters get lost in all the brightness. I thought the new web design treads were going to blacks and grays, like the site cuil.com

Please rethink all the light (as in bulb). It is hard on the eyes and it uses more energy.

The letters are tiny and can not be resized.

I can't tell the messages from the signatures now. Everything is running together.

prettyedy

[9]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 23
    SNOW BLIND

lisagraham

[10]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 30
    Not to be redundant, but More Tracked Blogs Please...

mackymacaspac

[11]Sep 18, 2008
    dju010 wrote:
    Only three contributors after the editor isn't enough. That makes it hard to even see who is qualified for a TU status (top 5).

One Tree Hill guide has 18 displayed contributors (including duplicate and unknown users). Dirty Sexy Money has six. 30 Rock has seven. I think their formula is EDITOR + ALL TCs + ALL RETIRED + 3 top contributors.

If they can do 18, might as well display the Top 20 for all show guides.

Chaos_Zombie

[12]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 10
    Please fix the whole rating system. The old one is better since you can change the ratings without having to reset it and the .1 increments were perfect for the site. This whole .5 system is lazy and a pain when it comes to trying to order your favorite shows on your personal page. I just can't bring myself to rate anything (shows or episodes) until this is changed.

dju010

[13]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 88
    mackymacaspac wrote:
    One Tree Hill guide has 18 displayed contributors (including duplicate and unknown users). Dirty Sexy Money has six. 30 Rock has seven. I think their formula is EDITOR + ALL TCs + ALL RETIRED + 3 top contributors.

If they can do 18, might as well display the Top 20 for all show guides.

Yeah, but despite 18 listed people, it's still only "three" normal users. We need more.

What also needs to go in my eyes is the grey text on white background. I have trouble reading it. It needs to be something with a higher contrast.

mackymacaspac

[14]Sep 18, 2008
    dju010 wrote:
    Yeah, but despite 18 listed people, it's still only "three" normal users. We need more.

Agreed.

dju010 wrote:
    What also needs to go in my eyes is the grey text on white background. I have trouble reading it. It needs to be something with a higher contrast.

It's worse for people guides. Coupled with the white background and pale gray font is the size-6(?) font used. The bio's an eyestrain. And without a bannered photo and the ads, the page just looks dull.

more_ncis_now

[15]Sep 18, 2008
    It would be nice if, on the fresh forums box, the originating forum could be shown under the thread link. You don't know where you're clicking through to with most of the threads...

danbambridge

[16]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 89
    I'm guessing most things I've already reported have been moved over, if I had the energy I'd bring my posts over here. If there's anything I said that hasn't been posted here yet that I've already said elsewhere, feel free to paste it here and claim it as your own...

The banner situation is a disgrace, there was no reason to get rid of the old ones. The new ones are low maintenance and easier to add but there was no reason the old ones had to go.

gilvatar

[17]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 17
    I request they change it back. THe old format was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

Mac-Ale

[18]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 60
    I won't mention banners, because I've always preferrd the great old programs that never had them. Aside from "I Love Lucy" and "Star Trek" - practically the entire 1950s and 1960s roster of programs never had banners at TV.com. I guess there was no television "back then".

I like the reduction of the redundant emblems, there was no reason to have a "50 Contribution" emblem and a "100 Contribution" emblem. It looks like editor/trusted emblems are gone too. OK by me, it's obvious from profile and program pages who is an editor. If we could only ditch those "Real Housewife" emblems.

The contributors column is free form linked-database madness. Every program has some unique "creative" list of contributors. One guide might have a former editor with 0 points, another might have a retired editor listed 7 separate times.

TheDiamondDog

[19]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 61
    I'd like to see more tracked blogs, less white (darker colors like before), the ability to choose what is listed as our favorite person and show, the way the old post boxes were for foums and blogs, you know with the ability to change colors and fonts and size, post pictures and links, etc. Show more contributors on guides. Maybe be able to choose how our own personal pages are. I liked the banner at the top as the intro and the "About Me" section a little lower. Make the fonts bigger. Everything is small and lightly colored. And showing all the emblems for contributions, instead of just one. I enjoyed having a lot of emblems.

It'd be cool if we could really decorate our own page, like with a background color or image. And like I said before, be able to choose how we want the page set up, like on YouTube. Not to bring other sites in this. I really preferred how the Profile Pages were before. That set up was better to me.

And also for forums, after we read something, the link to the blog would go from bold to normal. That was easier to know what we read already, instead of checking mainly for new.

This is all I can think of now. But it is what stands out. Sorry it is so much.

TheDiamondDog

[20]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 61
    I can't edit my message for some reason, but also want to say this.

In the forums, the ads at the side seem to have lile pop ups, and when I try to go into a thread, I end up clicking on the ad when it pops out. That gets kinda annoying.