Forums: Redesign Feedback: lights on/off toggle

 
  • Avatar of chameleonic1

    chameleonic1

    [21]Feb 28, 2009
    • member since: 12/15/04
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 397
    The "Lightswitch" is a joke. It is NOT what we wanted and makes no noticeable difference to my view of the site. If you really wanted to listen to us and give us what we want...GIVE US THE OLD SITE BACK!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of angelandspike

    angelandspike

    [22]Feb 28, 2009
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 66
    • rank: Hollywood Square
    • posts: 18,906
    This is just my opinion, but I think asking for the old site back is useless. This is the version we have and we have no choice but to go forward from here. Constructive input about the changes is the only thing that could possibly make any difference at this point.

    Since so many people are upset about the white, perhaps changing the white to a slightly off white would make a difference.
    Edited on 02/28/2009 10:22am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ntonks_tvtome

    ntonks_tvtome

    [23]Feb 28, 2009
    • member since: 04/30/05
    • level: 40
    • rank: Bewitched
    • posts: 2,517
    angelandspike wrote:
    This is just my opinion, but I think asking for the old site back is useless. This is the version we have and we have no choice but to go forward from here. Constructive input about the changes is the only thing that could possibly make any difference at this point.

    Since so many people are upset about the white, perhaps changing the white to a slightly off white would make a difference.


    Isn't it what we have been asking since august ? less white. If after 8 months, they're still not listening, don't you think that asking for our feedback while they actually do not care is quite offensive ? I only sent feedback this time about the show page, because honestly If on a show page all I see has nothing to do with the show but everything to do with game posts and inane input from kids who can't even bother to write in proper english, then it shouldn't be called tv.com it should be called opinion.com or forums.com and they should get rid of episodes guides etc all together and just create one gigantic forum.

    But I do agree, asking for things to go back to when it was actually about good information instead of useless trash is pointless.

    And It's true the lights off does seem better at first but then you scroll down and the white is so aggressive that your eyes are getting hurt even more.

    Honestly, jaxie. stop telling us that you're listening. 1) because it's offensive because we all know it's untrue 2) well, we all know you're obligated to say so. So what's the poitn since we know what's what.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of angelandspike

    angelandspike

    [24]Feb 28, 2009
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 66
    • rank: Hollywood Square
    • posts: 18,906
    I've read all the comments about the white since the redesign. Less white is what people asked for and less white is what people were given. The majority of people asked that staff at least change the background to something other than white and that's what was done. If a different background wasn't going to be acceptable to those who complained about the white, then none of them should have said it would be.

    I don't think staff has done anything offensive. They actually listened to the comments this time and all they get for doing that is complaints.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of paulwj

    paulwj

    [25]Feb 28, 2009
    • member since: 12/07/06
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 494

    angelandspike wrote:
    I've read all the comments about the white since the redesign. Less white is what people asked for and less white is what people were given. The majority of people asked that staff at least change the background to something other than white and that's what was done. If a different background wasn't going to be acceptable to those who complained about the white, then none of them should have said it would be. I don't think staff has done anything offensive. They actually listened to the comments this time and all they get for doing that is complaints.

    I'm sorry but a few mm's arround the edge of the screen doesn't count as less white it has always been less white in the main section of the screen that was asked for!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of angelandspike

    angelandspike

    [26]Feb 28, 2009
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 66
    • rank: Hollywood Square
    • posts: 18,906
    There is less white now. The background is no longer solid white. It wasn't anyway because it had a small design on it, but that's been changed so it's even less white than it was. They've also changed the colors of the table cells so not all of them are white anymore either.

    There are plenty of sites that are predominantly white. I just don't see this one as being any worse than any of those.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ellomaster

    ellomaster

    [27]Feb 28, 2009
    • member since: 01/04/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 90

    I like it, thanks guys.

    Maybe having the toggle in the users preferences is an idea, then it wont need to rely on cookie settings

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of layle1

    layle1

    [28]Feb 28, 2009
    • member since: 05/22/06
    • level: 72
    • rank: Happy Little Tree
    • posts: 2,507
    angelandspike wrote:
    There is less white now. The background is no longer solid white. It wasn't anyway because it had a small design on it, but that's been changed so it's even less white than it was. They've also changed the colors of the table cells so not all of them are white anymore either.

    There are plenty of sites that are predominantly white. I just don't see this one as being any worse than any of those.


    I agree there have been some changes for the better, the lightly shaded table cells are great (it would be even cooler if they darkened the line that defines the beginning of the signature), but it isn't enough for those sensitive to light.

    I also agree that there are plenty of similarly well-lit sites, and I spend more time than I'd like to admit at places like Amazon and Google doing research and tracking sources for submissions here. The first Google page, if I'm not using iGoogle, is very bright -- but I'm on it only long enough to launch a search. After that, the white is broken up by the results, and the effect is somewhat muted. I think part of the problem here is, aside from font uniformity that increases eye strain, the blues and oranges chosen as the header and logo colors have been lightened or patterned so that they seem to aid the glare. Whether it's true or not, my eyes process them as though the color is a fine weave with the white showing through the gaps. And I'm not sure why.

    Other sites also break up their expanses of white in better ways. My Facebook profile page has enough color variations, font differences and various bold fonts that it is nowhere near as painful as looking at a typical page here. Of course, I spend the majority of my time here, so that skews things a little.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of AuntArlene

    AuntArlene

    [29]Feb 28, 2009
    • member since: 04/22/05
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 5,992

    angelandspike, there is a difference between a site like Google where I find something on the page and usually navigate away form the all white page. Here I do a lot of reading and the white IS an issue. I think it's great that the all white is not an issue for you. However it obviously bothers a lot of people around here becasue we won't shut up about it.

    The toggle switch is merely cosmetic. It has changed just the frame basically and does not address the primary problem the all white background causes. It is uncomfortable to look at the pages here for very long.

    It is also insulting when the staff says that this is what we asked for. Again insinuating that we should be happy because this is what we wanted.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of angelandspike

    angelandspike

    [30]Mar 1, 2009
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 66
    • rank: Hollywood Square
    • posts: 18,906
    That's basically what I was saying. People said the white background was too much and staff changed it. I'm not sure how everyone expected staff to know the table cells were the issue and not the background.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of AuntArlene

    AuntArlene

    [31]Mar 1, 2009
    • member since: 04/22/05
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 5,992

    Forgive my noobishness, but I don't know table cells from red blood cells. I do know that we have been very clear about the issue with the whiteness. We've been complaining about it since the first "upgrade" so finding all the specific posts would take me a while, but they are out there. Saying that the staff couldn't possibly know what we meant by our complaints is utter BS.

    This is another in a long list of examples of this site giving us what they said we wanted. We complain (again) that they lost somehing in the translation and they act confused. How can we complain? They gave us exactly what we wanted. This is like nailing Jell-o to a tree and it is becoming horribly frustrating.

    I don't know if we're supposed to give up or just go away, but there is simply something very wrong in how we are being treated. It's like a mind game.

    US: Why did you give us green apples? We liked the red apples. Please give us our apples back.

    THEM: Here you go. Here are your apples. Aren't they shiny and not bug infested?

    US: Wait. We just want our red apples back. These are still the green apples. You just polished them a bit.

    THEM: Why are you complaining? You asked for apples and we gave you apples. We worked long and hard to give you what you asked for...These are not the apples you were looking for...

    US: These are not the apples we were looking for...


    If there is simply a breakdown in communication, the staff needs to do a better job understanding what we want. If this is all intentional then they really need to be ashamed of themselves.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of angelandspike

    angelandspike

    [32]Mar 1, 2009
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 66
    • rank: Hollywood Square
    • posts: 18,906
    I'm not trying to be argumentative or insult you. All I'm saying is you're dealing with web design and when someone says background, that means page background. The page background was white as well when they rolled out the new design. I can see where staff would think page background instead of table cell background when people asked that the white background be changed.

    I don't think anyone should give up trying to get staff to change things. I just think screaming at staff to change them isn't going to be the most effective approach.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of more_ncis_now

    more_ncis_now

    [33]Mar 1, 2009
    • member since: 01/29/06
    • level: 58
    • rank: Dead Parrot
    • posts: 4,633
    Even though the center section is still white, the darker background is a great start towards the site being more user friendly.

    I'm sure staff will be reading this thread at some point and will see the feedback that everyone is giving on asking for the central column of the site to be toned down a little on the lights off version.

    Constructive feedback is a good thing so from my point of view, although the middle section is still a little bright, I think that the background colour change is great! If it could be taken into consideration that the center section is still a little bright for users during the next design change, that would be perfect.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of AuntArlene

    AuntArlene

    [34]Mar 1, 2009
    • member since: 04/22/05
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 5,992

    angelandspike wrote:
    I'm not trying to be argumentative or insult you. All I'm saying is you're dealing with web design and when someone says background, that means page background. The page background was white as well when they rolled out the new design. I can see where staff would think page background instead of table cell background when people asked that the white background be changed.

    If that truly is the case then there needs to be someone in the middle who can translate. Just because we use a web site doesn't mean we know the lingo. It should be up to the staff to understand us. They're doing it for us after all.

    angelandspike wrote:
    I don't think anyone should give up trying to get staff to change things. I just think screaming at staff to change them isn't going to be the most effective approach.

    Screaming may just be the result of months and months of polite requests and subsequent frustration. I used to love this site. I stay because there is a great community here (even though the recent changes have almost crushed that community.) It's a great place to talk to other like minded people about TV. If they keep jerking us around though it's just going to become another site to get information. Those are a dime a dozen.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of angelandspike

    angelandspike

    [35]Mar 1, 2009
    • member since: 07/04/05
    • level: 66
    • rank: Hollywood Square
    • posts: 18,906
    Conversation is a two way street. You can't put the entire burden on one side. I'm not suggesting anyone learn web site terminology, I'm just trying to get people to understand that staff thought they were giving you what you wanted.

    The way you're discussing this with me right now seems more productive than screaming about it. I really do understand why you don't feel staff listened and I think it's reasonable to ask that they reduce the amount of white even more since it's still a problem for some people.
    Edited on 03/01/2009 9:50am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of AuntArlene

    AuntArlene

    [36]Mar 1, 2009
    • member since: 04/22/05
    • level: 24
    • rank: Golden Girl
    • posts: 5,992

    angelandspike wrote:
    Conversation is a two way street. You can't put the entire burden on one side. I'm not suggesting anyone learn web site terminology, I'm just trying to get people to understand that staff thought they were giving you what you wanted.

    I don't care if they thought they were giving us what we want. That's entirely the problem and we have been trying to get them to realize they really don't understand what we want. We've been explaining until we're blue in the screen, but either they are not listening or just cannot understand us (or really just don't give a damn.) I've posted ad naseum in this forum. I've replied to emails from Jaxie trying to convince me how I really should like all the nifty changes. I've even responded using the "send us your feedback" button. I've been doing all I can to explain exactly what I want.

    We're the consumers here. The product was working fine until it was fixed. The burden is entirely on them if they want their consumers to actually consume. They make changes and say that we asked for them. We beg them to restore some features we loved that were changed during the first upgrade. All we get are more changes and further assurances that we're getting what we asked for.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of paulwj

    paulwj

    [37]Mar 1, 2009
    • member since: 12/07/06
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 494
    AuntArlene wrote:

    angelandspike wrote:
    Conversation is a two way street. You can't put the entire burden on one side. I'm not suggesting anyone learn web site terminology, I'm just trying to get people to understand that staff thought they were giving you what you wanted.

    I don't care if they thought they were giving us what we want. That's entirely the problem and we have been trying to get them to realize they really don't understand what we want. We've been explaining until we're blue in the screen, but either they are not listening or just cannot understand us (or really just don't give a damn.) I've posted ad naseum in this forum. I've replied to emails from Jaxie trying to convince me how I really should like all the nifty changes. I've even responded using the "send us your feedback" button. I've been doing all I can to explain exactly what I want.

    We're the consumers here. The product was working fine until it was fixed. The burden is entirely on them if they want their consumers to actually consume. They make changes and say that we asked for them. We beg them to restore some features we loved that were changed during the first upgrade. All we get are more changes and further assurances that we're getting what we asked for.

    AuntArlene I 100% agree with you and also add that when we had the email with this redisign jpg we all stated where and why it was wrong and that made it clear about wanting the entire screen less white but did we get it NO WE DID NOT and they had the gaul to tell us this is what we asked for to quote Scrooge "bar humbug"

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Angus_Mac

    Angus_Mac

    [38]Mar 1, 2009
    • member since: 04/29/05
    • level: 71
    • rank: Bad News Bear
    • posts: 6,488
    It's not that difficult what we want when the example is right there on Gamespot! That is all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jkatj

    jkatj

    [39]Mar 7, 2009
    • member since: 07/02/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 58
    I love that this feature gives people an option for how they prefer to view the page. People who like or are used to the white can keep that but people who find the white glaring can switch the lights out. Nice. But I agree with the other posters that it needs to hit ALL white areas of the page, not just the border, because the white background behind all the type and ads and stuff really does seem even more harsh with the dark border, so it doesn't exactly address the problem. I hope that's something the staff will implement in the near future.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lightning_kf

    lightning_kf

    [40]Mar 8, 2009
    • member since: 04/01/06
    • level: 36
    • rank: Young and Restless
    • posts: 15,982

    Angus_Mac wrote:
    It's not that difficult what we want when the example is right there on Gamespot! That is all.

    Yeah, at least GameSpot's visuals are tolerable.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.