Forums: Redesign Feedback: Not All of us Know Computer Code

Parsec54

[1]Jan 26, 2010
    • level: 20
    Please please PLEASE bring back the ability we users used to have to simply select from drop-down menus what type of font we wanted, the color of the text and backgrounds, and most of all, the ability to just copy and paste links so they'll actually work properly. We don't all know computer codes and html or whatever it's called. The way things are now, we poor unfortunates are left with very cold and ugly posts/blogs that have no personality at all. I for one chose the color of text on my blogs to reflect the mood I happened to be in when writing them. For instance, if I was angry over something, my text would be red. If I were down, it'd be blue. If i were writing about Nature or environmental issues, maybe i'd use green. There's also the inability to change type face so i'm left with using capitals for emphasis when i'd prefer to use italics. Once again, please bring these functions back, without needing to know how to write program code
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

purplewowies

[2]Jan 26, 2010
    • level: 18
    Is WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor not working for you? You can check to see if it is on by going to your preferences and clicking boards and going down to "Use WYSIWYG Editor." Click "Yes, standard" and you should get all the options you asked about.

Adding bold and italics is easy even if you cannot use WYSIWYG:

Italics is
    Code:
    <em>italics</em>
    which will show italics.

Bold is
    Code:
    <strong>bold</strong>
    which will show bold.

Color is a bit harder and I don't quite know how to do that in HTML. I'm gonna attempt to use BB Code, which I do know how to write, and see if it works:
    Code:
    [COLOR=BLUE]hi[/COLOR]
    hi

You can use red or pink or several other colors and get the same effect:

hi
    hi
    hi

For a list of colors available for BBCode, you can look at this site: http://resources.zetaboards.com/topic/423042/1/

And you can look here for some basic BBcode.

You may need to have the things in the brackets in all caps to have it come up correctly here. (I've had url BBCode not work here when it wasn't capitalized.)
    Edited on 01/26/2010 1:48pm
    Edited 8 total times.

Parsec54

[3]Jan 27, 2010
    • level: 20
    Thank you. I changed the WYSIWYG thing... and it did make a difference, though oddly, the color selector doesn't come up unless i click on the "preview" button at the bottom of the window. i've figured how to set that... thanks to a little experimenting, but I wouldn't have been able to without your help. Once again, thank you.