Forums: Redesign Feedback: Recaps written horribly

LeighAnnNicho

[1]Sep 23, 2012
    • level: 1

I am new to this site, but was given to me so that I could read up on Once Upon A Time and these recaps are written SO BADLY. There is a CONSTANT misuse of the wrong pronoun - he/she/himself/herself. You can tell that that it's wrong because the sentence doesn't make any sense the way it's written. That makes you have to read every other sentence twice. And the use of words that sound alike; for instance using "write" instead of "right" as in "two wrongs dont make a 'write''. Seriously? It has been a nightmare reading these recaps. I don't know what the deal is with the contributions for the recaps but I think any site looking to be taken seriously - and with the CBS name attached - really ought to have some sort of integrity for what is being put out under it's name.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Gislef

[2]Sep 23, 2012
    • level: 101
    Since TV.com is a volunteer contribution website, you can submit any corrections that are necessary to recaps. Consider it similar to Wikipedia, where it's a community effort.

Just make sure to indicate in Comments what you're editing and why. TV.com doesn't provide a way for the editors to compare the edited recap (or anything else) to the original.

You'd also want to stick to actual corrections, rather than clarifications and rewrites. Not only are they harder to explain in Comments why you're making each one, but can boil down to personal preference. "Mine is better" is a hard opinion to justify.

Also keep in mind that, even by TV.com standards, recaps are horribly "underpaid." A 500-word recap is not worth 10 times as many contribution points (CPs) as a 50-word summary. TV.com can't even justify a raise in imaginary points for recaps. So recaps are underpaid volunteer efforts, not professional writing gigs. (And I've seen many network sites that are no better than what you describe. )

-----

If you're talking about reviews, which are more high-profile and often have their own recaps, you would have to PM the CNET review writer.
    Edited on 09/23/2012 6:17pm
    Edited 4 total times.

Gislef

[3]Sep 27, 2012
    • level: 101
    But staff would be best suited to answer you.

If staff could answer? Thanks!

nilla_chelle01

[4]Sep 27, 2012
    • level: 55

Actually, I think you explained it well. The fan recaps are crowdsourced and written by users, and you can actually submit a change if you feel that there is an error in the recap. TV.com reviews are written by the editorial staff. If there's an issue with the staff reviews, feel free to leave a comment on the review itself or message the staff writer in question. Thanks!

Edited on 09/27/2012 12:03pm

EJamison

[5]Oct 27, 2012
    • level: 17

Even when there are mistakes, the recaps at tv.com are often much better that recaps on other websites. In my opinion, the recaps for "Once Upon a Time" are pretty good here.

My biggest complaint here is that so many series that I watch are lacking recaps here. I have contributed from time to time. Only one pilot episode this season, so far. So, I often search for recaps on other sites.

My biggest complaint about recaps on some other sites is that they often are jumbled, and contain a lot of irrelevant comments.

It's as if the "Wizard of Oz" recap was like the following.

The movie starts out with a girl encountering a talking scarecrow. Her dress reminded me of one my sister wore on her 11th birthday when we went to Chuck E. Cheese and I got food poisoning. It was horrible. Anyway, this girl, name Dorothy -- I don't know anyone named Dorothy -- convinced the scarecrow to come with her to find her way home. Before this happened, we learned that Dorothy was actually from Kansas. I was in Kansas City once, but that's actually in Missouri. I was only a couple blocks from the state border but never actually went into Kansas. Which is just as well because Kansas didn't look so nice, at least on the farm where Dorothy lived. I don't really understand why she wanted to go back there. The Land of Oz, where the scarecrow lives, seems so much more interesting.

So, I'm glad the recaps at tv.com are not like that. I can tolerate some wrong pronouns.

Edited on 10/27/2012 7:46pm