Forums: Redesign Feedback: something's fishy with front door commenting

thirtyrockz

[1]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 1

OK, I'm not sure what to make of this, but something doesn't smell right.

I noticed the comments next to the highlighted shows on the front door were from the same handful of users. That doesn't seem right. There are plenty of other comments in those forums and they do not show up. I'm not exactly sure how this works but I assume only comments submitted through the front door show up, not ones submitted through the forums. If so, that's fine but it doesn't explain why the same handful of users appear.

Check these users out and they all have one thing in common: they all were created around Jan 08 and seem to have been created for the sole purpose of commenting on the front door, since there's no other activity going on in any of them:

Angelzwings

tayme81

GrilledCheeks

Jackspot

Bounce_Montana

famguy68

gobrules

I'm starting to think someone is gaming the system from the inside, which, if true, is a pretty shady thing to do. Is TV.com rigging the front door with fake comments? I would love a reply from someone on staff.

Edited on 01/14/2009 6:23pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

noregr3ts

[2]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 13
    Trust me, the staff are way too busy to be doing dodgy and time-consuming stuff like that.

thirtyrockz

[3]Jan 14, 2009

you might be right but until I see a comment on the front door from a user whose account wasn't created on January 08, I will remain suspicious. I'm adding these to the list of commenters I believe to be fake:

Jcarelli

Jaslineb

realduder

sabbycor

Can anyone post a screenshot that shows anyone other than these? TV.com has thousands of active users, but only around 15 or so show up there.

Mac-Ale

[4]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 60
    Since posts aren't really going to lead to high levels, I doubt any "gaming" is going on (no one on staff really cares about post counts or levels anyway). But I think it's certainly possible that staff creates some of these IDs to "seed" more discussion. Often waltmor would do the same thing, type in some relatively bland comment.

But then, the whole feature is for bland comments. It's sort of the new "chat" of TV.com.
    Edited on 01/14/2009 8:00pm

thirtyrockz

[5]Jan 14, 2009
    you're right, I don't think they would create these user IDs to boost post counts because there are plenty of users and the site isn't lacking in number of comments.

It does seem like this feature is there to promote discussion, but if they are preventing real users from appearing and only putting bland, happy, fake comments in there, then that is disingenuous at best, unethical at worst.

more_ncis_now

[6]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 58
    If you're not logged in and you click on the comment bubble, you get the option to sign up. My guess would be that people who only usually visit the homepage and not the forums would not generally sign up, but if they visit the homepage, try to comment on the bubble & get the message, they're more likely to sign up to post their bubble comment than they would to venture into the forums & comment.

Just a guess though, based on what I've noticed.

thirtyrockz

[7]Jan 15, 2009
    That makes sense but it doesn't explain why this specific handful of users are the only ones appearing in the comment bubbles. Honestly, why do they all happen to be created on Jan 08? It's really odd.

I think these were created by the staff and they set up logic in the code that only staff members comments appear.

danmod

[8]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 34

Sorry for the weirdness with the the front door comment bubbles - we've been having some trouble with that for the past week and had to create some test accounts to figure out how to fix it. The comments you've been seeing are a combination of test accounts and real user accounts. We think we've got the problem fixed, so keep commenting and we'll keep an eye on it.