Forums: Redesign Feedback: The rating system?

maxmaullu

[1]Sep 24, 2008
    • level: 7

Since the layout update, ( which I don't care about) when you put a rating for a show, or an episode, te rating goes by 0.5 ( ex 8.0 to 8.5 ).

Before was more precise, you could give a 9.2, for example!

Is this planned, or some kind of bug?

PS. if this is how it's supposed to be from now, IT SUX!!!!!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Elwingda

[2]Sep 24, 2008
    • level: 10
    I think they are planning on getting the old rating system back at some point. Lots of other people have complained about it as well.

Phantomair

[3]Sep 24, 2008
    • level: 7
    I dont really care for it either.

winterbehaviour

[4]Sep 24, 2008
    • level: 22
    Ive raised this point three times already not only have they changed the increments the score is not displayed before you submit it like before.

JacobsChair

[5]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 6
    You are preaching to wholly upset clergy, my friend. There are so many problems I have with the redesign, the biggest being that none of the reasons I left TV.com in the first place have been fixed, but this one, this new ratings system, is, by far, my biggest problem with the so called "new and improved" layout CNET has shoved down our throats. I mean, what was even the point of changing it? Not only will all new episode ratings be mathematically illegitimate to all previous ratings (since there aren't as many variables to choose from and people are forced to round up or round down), but the change has absolutely NO benefits--it doesn't make anything simpler, it jeopardizes one of TV.com's best functions to, and, somehow, they actually made it harder to use. And this all not mentioning the fact that, for some reason, you can now rate episodes weeks in advance of their airdate, when before ratings weren't opened until the day on which it was to be shown.

This entire shift for the website is one of the biggest upsets I've ever seen.

cutieflutie1216

[6]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 50
    Elwingda wrote:
    I think they are planning on getting the old rating system back at some point. Lots of other people have complained about it as well.
    Do you have inside information? I haven't heard anything...

VelvetGlove

[7]Oct 11, 2008
    • level: 11

I don't post much on the forums here, but I've spent an hour or so looking around at the different topics & I'm so glad that you raised this point! I am finding it impossible to allocate a proper score for an episode as the counter jumps to sete increments & I can't see what the score is before I submit - so this makes the show scores a bit pointless.

I really hope that they get the episode/show score functionality back ASAP as tihs is quite sad.

mb2000

[8]Oct 12, 2008
    • level: 101
    Also, most of the time when I rate a show, a rating of 10.0 is marked as "appalling". Don't know how that works.

kyravon

[9]Oct 14, 2008
    • level: 25

oops, I just reported that as a bug , didn't realize others had already raised this as an issue.

Also, glad to know I wasn't just being a moron, at first I thought maybe it was me, or just the browser I was using.

sesho2022

[10]Oct 14, 2008
    • level: 47
    I have a bug lately where I move the rating slider, but the rating won't stick, so I can't rate something. I use FF.

KingofIPirates

[11]Oct 15, 2008
    • level: 32
    I too dislike the new rating system (the only real problem I have with the new design) and am glad someone made a topic about it.

topoopon

[12]Oct 21, 2008
    • level: 19

Does anyone know if they plan on reworking the rating system? This is probably the most annoying aspect of this redesign. It makes the old rating obsolete and incorrect. It's the reason I won't fix my favorites or rate anything right now!

Plus, the slider is awful, and the need to reload each time is time wasteful!

Edited on 10/21/2008 5:51pm

Moon-Crane

[13]Oct 24, 2008
    • level: 6
    It's likely been mentioned already somewhere on the board, but the way i get around the new 'improved(?)' rating bar to set a proper score is to add a rating in their usual 0.5 increment, then manually adjust the score within the URL displayed in the address bar (eg: if you want to rate something as 8.3, set the bar to 85, then the bit that shows 'user_rating=85&rating_ref_type=103' in the address bar can be changed to 'user_rating=83&rating_ref_type=103'. The bar will reload to show 8.3 on the page). Pain to have to do though, and i find the new bar pretty unstable even just trying to set a rating.

pikastatic100

[14]Oct 24, 2008
    • level: 48
    Moon-Crane wrote:
    It's likely been mentioned already somewhere on the board, but the way i get around the new 'improved(?)' rating bar to set a proper score is to add a rating in their usual 0.5 increment, then manually adjust the score within the URL displayed in the address bar (eg: if you want to rate something as 8.3, set the bar to 85, then the bit that shows 'user_rating=85&rating_ref_type=103' in the address bar can be changed to 'user_rating=83&rating_ref_type=103'. The bar will reload to show 8.3 on the page). Pain to have to do though, and i find the new bar pretty unstable even just trying to set a rating.

Huh, I didn't know you could do that. And you're right, it is unstable. Somtimes, when I click to score it, when it reloads my score isn't there and I have to click it a second time, and occasionally even more to set my score. And a few times after I scored a show/person, when I came back another time, the score isn't there anymore and I have to score it again. The second one I mentioned, however, dosen't happen to me anymore, but the new scoring system really is still a drag...

thefanof

[15]Oct 24, 2008
    • level: 102
    Yes, I really hate the new scoring system and as someone who reviews every episode they watch hopes they change it.

KingofIPirates

[16]Oct 27, 2008
    • level: 32
    Moon-Crane wrote:
    Thanks for that.

Angus_Mac

[17]Oct 29, 2008
    • level: 71
    KingofIPirates wrote:
    Moon-Crane wrote:
    Thanks for that.

Awesome! Doesn't look like a pain to me.

After some experiments, I've discovered you need to do this if you are on the episode page and want to rate your episode.
    If you're on the episode page which has two ratings sliders.
    Pick a rating for the episode.
    Hover over the RESET button afterwards or pay attention to the link at the bottom of your screen.
    rating_ref_type=101
    rating_ref_type=103

One of those will apply to the episode, the other will be for the show. It can vary.

Minimum value for user_rating is 10 and max is 100. All others will give an NA
    Edited on 10/29/2008 7:41pm
    Edited 4 total times.

raygoshay

[19]Nov 15, 2008
    • level: 15
    If there were only 100 series and 1000 episodes to rate, 19 levels of scoring might be adequate. Seeing as there's, ahem, considerably more shows I suggest reviving the old system. Granted Roger Ebert gets away with less than 10... but we're supposed to be a community here. The former design with 100 possible scores allowed for fine tuning your opinion and displaying your preferences more clearly. Plus for some undefinable reason, it was more fun.
    Edited on 11/15/2008 3:38am

paulwj

[20]Jan 21, 2009
    • level: 28
    I agree with whats been said here the old system once again was better it's just a pity that TPTB don't care what we think or want!