TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Forums: Redesign Feedback: Vote to return to previous layout.

Should TV.com return to its previous layout?

danbambridge

[41]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 89
    _Islander_ wrote:
    more_ncis_now wrote:
    ...but as we feed everything back, the staff are listening...

I'd be interested to know how you can say this with such certaintly. They haven't (really) in the past, why would that change now?

Well they can't really not be listening, they can only find out the problems with the new site by listening to what we report back.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

_Islander_

[42]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 31
    danbambridge wrote:
    _Islander_ wrote:
    more_ncis_now wrote:
    ...but as we feed everything back, the staff are listening...

I'd be interested to know how you can say this with such certaintly. They haven't (really) in the past, why would that change now?

Well they can't really not be listening, they can only find out the problems with the new site by listening to what we report back.

Alright, sorry. To clarify: by 'listening', I tend to mean 'listening and acting upon', hence that's what I took more_ncis_now to mean. I can certainly believe that TV.com are doing to former, but it will take a lot to convince me that any of the latter is going on...

FragLimiT41

[43]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 10
    I am pretty confused with the new layout but that is normal I guess whith every new layout. Still trying to find my way around and already missing some features I liked with the previous one:
    - showing of production code on episode's detail page
    - next/previous episode button
    - voting in decimal numbers (now I can only vote in steps of 0.5)
    - most links just not working with FF
    Those are only the annoying things I ran into using the new layout for 10 minutes. Those can be fixed eventually I guess.
    Apart from that: an option to choose the layout would be nice for everyone to pick the favourite one. Shouldn't be that hard to do IMHO.

Yes, it's the users who make the site, not the layout. But if the layout is faulty the users may be too annoyed to contribute. There's alway up and downsides but I guess I'll figure it out. If not: I find myself another place. Simple as that.

sfaberge

[44]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 21
    They should have a glance because they did create a board for it but listening to other users I would guess that nothing will happen about it.

I know people that have left the site already after coming here every day for years, hopefully this will five the staff the message they need

bigape2005

[45]Sep 19, 2008

more_ncis_now wrote:
    It's brand new, it'll take some getting used to but as we feed everything back, the staff are listening. They may not be able to change everything we want changing, but hopefully they can fix the bugs quicker now that the layout has been designed by one team (rather than a bit by one person who leaves the company only to be replaced by another person who then has to figure out what the original person had built into the site). I agree that the white is too bright, the boxes are misplaced, the sub system is broken, episode pages don't look great, but staff have created this board for feedback and I think that's a great sign that we have a chance to improve the site over the next few months.
    Usually, when a large scale web application like this is to undergo a major theme/functionality change, there is a sandbox server setup and a group of high-level users are picked to provide feedback on the beta. Only once the majority of the blatant issues are resolved would it even be considered to release the new design.

However this goes WAY beyond a simple design change. Forcing viewers to view a homepage based on the home territory by using some spastic Geo-IP routing without giving them the option to change to the main US service they have been using for years is simply unforgivable.

I expect TV.com to lose substantial advertising revenue from overseas viewers who will simply find another service for the very information they have come to love TV.com for. Simply awful.

winterbehaviour

[46]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 22
    Like so many others I assumed that a redesign would mean "improved" yet I'm failing to see what any of these improvements are and many things that I loved and were unique to the site are inexplicably gone. Like the level bar, show break down pie charts, voting in increments of 0.1 and the US content that I used to come to the site for.
    There should have been a consultation period before this new design was implemented.

Frankburnsflagg

[47]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 13
    Axrendale wrote:
    I HATE this new layout. Simple as that.

If it is even remotely possible to change back, I am all for it.
    Same here... the editor is a pain... not to mention even TRYING to copy and paste longer things that I've typed up... I can't even go down the post to see the rest of it and fix any mistakes.

Frankburnsflagg

[48]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 13
    winterbehaviour wrote:
    Like so many others I assumed that a redesign would mean "improved" yet I'm failing to see what any of these improvements are and many things that I loved and were unique to the site are inexplicably gone. Like the level bar, show break down pie charts, voting in increments of 0.1 and the US content that I used to come to the site for.
    There should have been a consultation period before this new design was implemented.
    I second that. A lot of the uniqueness of this site... is gone.

count-chocula

[49]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 47
    This new site will just take a bit of getting used to, I'm already noticing benefits to it! While it isn't perfect, within time we will learn to love this site again. Don't leave over something so trivial, stick with the site and I can bet that at least 80 percent of people will start to "accept" the new look in a few weeks / months.

expatriot

[50]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 53
    I don't mind the new look and I don't even mind the white (though a selection of colour schemes would be nice). What I HATE is that a redesign 'merely' aimed at achieving a new look affects basic features like rejecting submissions and adding new episodes.

GATZ1000

[51]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 39
    I am having mixed feelings with the new design because thier are a few things I like about the change but thier is also tons of negatives about it. If they get all the bugs out of it then it will be fine and those who "leave" will come back. Just give it time

atlantismonkey

[52]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 26
    count-chocula wrote:
    This new site will just take a bit of getting used to, I'm already noticing benefits to it! While it isn't perfect, within time we will learn to love this site again. Don't leave over something so trivial, stick with the site and I can bet that at least 80 percent of people will start to "accept" the new look in a few weeks / months.
    If 80% of the site accepts in a few months its because only 20% that dislike chose to stay. One of the great things about the internet is the multitude of sites that are nearly the same, yes we love tv.com, and it'll be dissapointing to leave, but I'm not going to waste time on this place if this isn't resolved, and neither are most people. If its leave or deal with it I'll leave and find a site I like better, simple as that.

Elwingda

[53]Sep 19, 2008
    I liked the old layout so much better. Above all, it was much more professional looking.

TwistedConverse

[54]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 23
    PLEASE change it back. My eyes are hurting already and I've been on for 15 minutes. Generally when they re-do a site they make it better. This new layout has only downsides. NO benefits.

BlackCowDeath

[55]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 11
    _Islander_ wrote:
    BlackCowDeath wrote:
    IT'S BRAND NEW THEY'LL GET IT WORKING JUST WAIT LIKE A WEEK!

I'm sorry, but that's just so naiive. There'll be repurcussions from this for months.

As for a rollback: TV.com has never done it before, I can't see them doing it now. It'd be a victory for the community over the company, and that'd never be allowed to happen.

Maybe a week is a little soon But I have faith that they'll get the site working soon enough, they obviously know people are unhappy and seem to be working hard at getting the issues solved.

mikeandike95

[56]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 4
    At the ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM, we should be allowed to change the theme when we login. You saw my ultimatum and I will post a board for everyone who's about to leave to have our voices heard. The Internet is a market, I can choose to support you and your advertisers or I can go somewhere else. The easy-to-use, migraine-free layout was so much better. You can put air freshener on a turd but it's still a turd. So you can "work out the bugs" till it's like the old one, but it's not the old one. GO BACK TO THE OLD LAYOUT!

TinnieMaster

[57]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 31
    If TV.com staff have any logic they will change it back!

SergeantWilson

[58]Sep 19, 2008
    The new look is even the least of our problems. The thing just doesn't work anymore. And you can't help but have the feeling that the people who make this site (the users) are treated with disrespect.

DragonSpawn2006

[59]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 50
    TinnieMaster wrote:
    If TV.com staff have any logic they will change it back!

I doubt the staff actually have a choice in the matter. The call for a redesign was probably called by a higher up, so they have about as much of a say as we do. All they can do is try and get rid of the bugs and get used to the site themselves. Although it was pretty dumb not to put a beta up to test out the site's functionality.

mb2000

[60]Sep 19, 2008
    • level: 101
    count-chocula wrote:
    I'm already noticing benefits to it!

Where?