Forums: Science-Fiction: 70s Sci-fi Puppet Show

stucrook

[1]Dec 23, 2008
    • level: 1
    Hi, all. Can anyone help me track down this TV show I half-remember from my childhood? It would have been broadcast in the UK in the early 80s, probably 1980 or 1981, during the day and aimed at children. It was a science fiction show performed by puppets / marionettes BUT I'm almost certain that it WASN'T a Gerry Anderson production (I've been through them all and none of them ring any bells). In fact, I seem to recall that it had a Japanese feel to it, but I could be mistaken.

The only part of the show I remember clearly is one episode where one of the good guys -- maybe the main character, the "captain" figure -- who had a beard, was poisoned by a praying mantis as big as a man, sent by the baddies, and died. (This kind of thing really effects you as a kid.)

I also think that the goodies had a spaceship which turned into a robot (or possibly a couple of spaceships which combined and then turned into a robot).

Googling various keywords from above doesn't provide any hints, so any clues you can give me would be brilliant because this has been driving me mad for years now.

Thanks!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Andre0175

[2]Dec 24, 2008
    Yes i know this series it was called i think starfleet, it was a puppet series.

stucrook

[3]Dec 24, 2008
    Brilliant! Yes, thank you, I've just looked up "Star Fleet" (aka "X-Bomber") and this is definitely the one. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

creamylemon

[4]Jan 16, 2009
    • level: 11
    sounds cool

CaptainHarkness

[5]Jan 17, 2009
    • level: 23

I've never heard of Starfleet. I was going to say Thunderbirds as an answer.

drdan2410

[6]Apr 6, 2009
    • level: 52
    This must be obscure I have never even heard of it. Is it any good?