Forums: Science-Fiction: HELP me remember 90's supernatural TV series with guy, girl, old man & store

luckelooc

[1]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 1

Hi everyone!

What's the name of a supernatural TV series that had a dark haired guy, a girl with long, flowing red hair and somewhat bulgy big eyes (still very pretty though), and an old man with a grey beard? I believe they hung out at an old shop of antiquities and they'd collect items that had supernatural powers within. I recall the lady becoming possessed a few times, and although the bearded man was old, he was still pretty tough. Finally, the dark haired guy was not a hunky leading man, more like a brother to the red haired girl. I'm sure someone out there knows what this show is called. Thanks for stirring my memory!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

cittiecatte

[2]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 7
    Friday the 13th the series.

Zwingli4

[3]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 16
    Yup, Friday the 13th the Series. It had nothing to do with the movies, and so it was a good series. Didn't a bunch of blue nosed do gooders run that off the air?

GODHOOD

[4]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 17
    I don't remember that but it did run for 3 seasons, this show definitely deserves to be on DVD.

jedi66

[5]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 11

GODHOOD wrote:
    I don't remember that but it did run for 3 seasons, this show definitely deserves to be on DVD.

Unfortunately, the number of seasons doesn't guarantee DVD release. V.I.P. with Pamela Anderson lasted 4 seasons, but only season one was released. She-spies, and War of the Worlds (from the '80's or early '90's) both lasted two seasons, but only the first seasons were released. Relic Hunter was three seasons but only a "best of compilation" was released.

The only things worse than not releasing DVD sets are getting people's hopes up by releasing a season, but then never releasing another season, or charging outrageous prices for a small number of episodes. Great examples are the current run of Dr. Who which contain about 13 episodes, but retail for about $130 Canadian, and anime shows like Gundam Seed which are only sold in five halfhour (i.e. 22 minute) episodes sets but retail for about $25-$30. That's around $300 Canadian for 50 episodes which are each 22 minutes long! A season of Charmed Season eight retails for $39 Canadian and is close to the same length!

O.K., that's my rant, sorry for getting a little off topic there.

GODHOOD

[6]Oct 3, 2007
    jedi66 wrote:

GODHOOD wrote:

Unfortunately, the number of seasons doesn't guarantee DVD release. V.I.P. with Pamela Anderson lasted 4 seasons, but only season one was released. She-spies, and War of the Worlds (from the '80's or early '90's) both lasted two seasons, but only the first seasons were released. Relic Hunter was three seasons but only a "best of compilation" was released.

The only things worse than not releasing DVD sets are getting people's hopes up by releasing a season, but then never releasing another season, or charging outrageous prices for a small number of episodes. Great examples are the current run of Dr. Who which contain about 13 episodes, but retail for about $130 Canadian, and anime shows like Gundam Seed which are only sold in five halfhour (i.e. 22 minute) episodes sets but retail for about $25-$30. That's around $300 Canadian for 50 episodes which are each 22 minutes long! A season of Charmed Season eight retails for $39 Canadian and is close to the same length!

O.K., that's my rant, sorry for getting a little off topic there.

I have to agree with you on that but some seasons are better than others. The second season of the War of the Worlds received a re-imaging of sorts where now the aliens look human and it takes place in a dark distant future. I'm not to crazy about that one. The reason the first season was released on DVD was to capitalize on Tom Cruise's War of the Worlds. The Friday the 13th "remake" script is being written at the moment, so who knows that might cause the TV series to come out on DVD.

Edited on 10/03/2007 3:02pm

jedi66

[7]Oct 3, 2007

Still, since thetwo seasons combinedof War of the Worlds wereonly 42episodes,they could have done something like they did with Buck Rogers and just release the complete series in a single set. Same goesfor She-Spies. And let's not forget Battlestar Galactica. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the original series that is available on DVD does not include the 12 or 13episodes of Galactica 1980, which finished (in more ways than one) the series.

It would have been just as easy to throw in three more discs and include the entire series. They did, afeter all, stop calling it Galactica 1980, and started calling it Battlestar Galactica after only a few episodes. You get my point. It's one thing to say you can't justify sales of a six season series if the first or second season DVD release sales are really poor, but there should be some obligation with series that conclude after only two seasons. In the case of War of the Worlds, I found season two to be better than season one. It would have been no big deal to include the entire series in one set, especially since they aren't dealing with full 22 or 26 episode seasons.

GODHOOD

[8]Oct 3, 2007
    Most people including myself want to forget Galactica 1980, I look at that series as a different show with a name change that when horribly wrong.lol But I get what you're saying. Oh and I have to disagree, I thought the first season of War of the Worlds is much better.

jedi66

[9]Oct 3, 2007
    To each their own. I just liked the lasers/disintegraters, I guess.

luckelooc

[10]Oct 5, 2007
    • level: 1
    Thanks everyone for helping me remember. Now that I looked it up, it was actually from the 80's. Has it been that long? I must be getting old. Anyways, it was a great show and very entertaining.