Forums: Science-Fiction: Late 80's Sci-Fi show HELP!!!!!

Birdman0808

[121]Nov 19, 2008
    • level: 1
    Hi, I'm trying to remember a TV series (or mini series) which I watched as a kid some time in the 80s... I thought it was British but I could be wrong, maybe it's US. My memory is really foggy but here's what I vaguely recall: It was set in the present about these 2 kids (i think they were brother and sister and perhaps twins) and they're spying on this mysterious man who lives nearby (through the woods from their house maybe) and they begin to realise maybe he's an alien or they snoop around and discover a big secret about him. There's a room in his house which is like standing in space - dark with stars all around. And there's definitely a tunnel - brightly lit and slippery - and there's a scene where one of them slides down it and is trapped. For some reason I also have a memory of the tunnel exiting out under the ocean(???). Then later in the series there are these creatures (which I think are released by the man or he's responsible for them) and there are these freaky scenes of them sliding across the countryside at night - I remember they looked like sliding compost heaps! Does this sound totally crazy or is it ringing bells for somebody?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

grailwolf

[122]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 55
    Blackmania wrote:
    I remember this show as an old man who sits in a couch in front of a fireplace. The old man is a sort of "puppet" much like the ones from The Labyrinth ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labyrinth_(film) ) and The Dark Crystal movies, so he looks very "realistic" and he has a dog besides him too which i think is a real genuine dog.

He sits in his chair and introduces fairy tale stories, and then the storie begins as a real show with live actors. The series really had a "magic touch" to them like many other adventure movies from the 80's. I think we are at the mid 80's but not completely sure though.

The show was "Jim Henson's The Storyteller" and you're only half right. The man was real (played by John Hurt) though he wore a lot of makeup, and the dog was a puppet. The first season was Western European fairytales, then season two was the Greek Myths, with a different narrator.

Info about the first (and vastly superior) season here: http://www.tv.com/jim-hensons-the-storyteller/show/6837/summary.html

SpectralSpiral

[124]Dec 16, 2008
    • level: 4
    xcessivex wrote:

ok, try this one... this may be in the early 90's actually but...

its a series that had an alien that comes to earth and his always has this floating silver eye with a brown blob body following him around. I remmember one episode he was teaching a class on astronomy and spoke of his home world being one of the moons of Saturn I believe and that under the layers of ice there was a civilization.

I can't remmember the name of the series or anything else for that matter. I think the eye could become transparent too.

If you figure it out email me please! thanks

I remember that, he also said how stupid it was for humans not to have eyes in the back of their heads to see enemies. Other people on this forum have helped me remember it was the series "Hard Time on Planet Earth".

Suite_Pat

[125]Dec 22, 2008
    Tales from the darkside:

Distant signals: A mysterious investor wants to finance the return of a TV detective series, years after its cancellation. The original writer and star go along with it...and they discover that it's being produced for a highly unusual audience.

Jedediah24

[126]Dec 30, 2008

Birdman0808 wrote:
    Hi, I'm trying to remember a TV series (or mini series) which I watched as a kid some time in the 80s... I thought it was British but I could be wrong, maybe it's US. My memory is really foggy but here's what I vaguely recall: It was set in the present about these 2 kids (i think they were brother and sister and perhaps twins) and they're spying on this mysterious man who lives nearby (through the woods from their house maybe) and they begin to realise maybe he's an alien or they snoop around and discover a big secret about him. There's a room in his house which is like standing in space - dark with stars all around. And there's definitely a tunnel - brightly lit and slippery - and there's a scene where one of them slides down it and is trapped. For some reason I also have a memory of the tunnel exiting out under the ocean(???). Then later in the series there are these creatures (which I think are released by the man or he's responsible for them) and there are these freaky scenes of them sliding across the countryside at night - I remember they looked like sliding compost heaps! Does this sound totally crazy or is it ringing bells for somebody?

Hi there! I think I'm looking for the same TV series. What you wrote rings the bell. All I can add is these two white stones the old man gave the twins (brother and sister). I remember that one stone turned red and it was carried by the girl, the other turned blue, was hot and carried by the brother. I recall these slimy green creatures and this villain who was driving a black limo. The end of this series was quite dramatic. I remember this bright red and blue kkind of rainbow created by the stones. Anybody remembers the title? I'd be grateful. Cheers!

Jedediah24

[127]Jan 2, 2009

Yo Birdman0808 !

I've finally found this series. It's called Under th Mountain. Check this out on imdb.com. The year of production 1982. Cheers!

jas1552

[128]Jan 10, 2009

I remember that show. It aired on Nickoleodeon as part of a show called The Third Eye that featured three different mini series. One of the mini series was "Under The Mountain" with the twin brother and sister staying at their aunt and uncles house for the summer, the red and blue stones, the slimy sliding creatures and all of that.

Another the 3 Third eye miniseries was about a little girl whose mother was a fake psychic or medium or something while the little girl turned out to be a real witch or something like that.

The other mini series was about these kids lost in a labyrinth like cave and they would walk through portals that looked like solid rock and there was some old guy (maybe dressed as a knight?) they kept running into.

I loved the old Nickolodeon lineup when i was a kid. Third Eye, Tomorrow People, Powerhouse. Those were the days.

Timothy0921

[129]Jan 21, 2009

devoidx wrote:
    Hi, a friend of mine was talking about an old tv show, probably 80's, about a guy that had some sort of super powers that would stop working if he saw anything red. Anyone know what it might be ?

Ahhhh, this one wasn't a TV Show. This one was an obscure movie that I had racked my brain about for years and years. At last I found it, based on a hunch that I had, that I thought I rememebered that Ernest Borgnine was in it, and he was!!

The movie is called Super Fuzz, the VHS is of course out of print but years back when I thought of it and looked it up in a movie guide, I did actually happen to find a brand new in package copy on ebay.

Of course, it burned up with the rest of my stuff in an apt fire a few years back. I don't think it was ever put on DVD.

When I watched it again, I revelled in the 80's cheeziness! Anyways, it's a story about a guy, a cop, (with some very thick accent, ) who was given super powers when he was subjected to some kind of magical radiation, when he was exposed to it from a shuttle crashing nearby to him. And every time he sees something red, his powers stop working for some reason. Ernest Borgnine is also a cop, and a friend of his, in it. Hilarity ensues.

Timothy0921

[130]Jan 21, 2009

Now I will ask a question:

I don't remember much about this one, except I get the feeling that it was a series that had to do with space or time travel, maybe both. Anyways, the one part I do remember, was an episode with this guy (teenager), who was talking to a girl, (teenager) in front of a board with lotsa lotsa single lights on it. Some blinking maybe some not. She looked and looked and found the one she was looking for, (they all looked the same, just single lights (small bulb?) and said something like, "Here's mine.. Where's yours?" also indicating that when the light goes out, she would die. I think each light represented one of the people in the civilization, each light monitored each life, and when it went out, it meant the person had died for eom reason. The guy didn't have one, because he wasn't from that civilization, (species?). I get the feeling also, that this guy was a regular character on the show, in addition to a few others, possibly a family, and they were travelling through (space or time?) to get back to their home or find a new one for some reason.

Seriously, is this vague enough for you?

aschacher

[131]Jan 22, 2009
    I was wondering if anyone remembers a TV show or mini series about some high school kids and there parents were trying to make them the best kids in town by turning them into robots? It was either in the 80's or early 90's. I really do not remember much but I would like to know what it was called. Not sure if it was a season show or just a mini series. Thank you!

dazula

[132]Jan 25, 2009

Okay I'm hoping someone will be able to help.

I'm pretty sure this series came out in the 80s. It concerned a family who either went to another planet or dimension. The one main plot point I can remember is that the son becomes famous by claiming the music of Elvis as his own. At least I'm pretty sure it was Elvis. It sounds similar to Otherworld but I can't find anything about Otherworld that includes the music plot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've spent years searching and have found no info. Please help me prove to myself that I'm not insane and there was an actual show!

Goldenlion007

[133]Jan 27, 2009

Okay I got a stumper, and its been driving me crazy. Heres some details of what I remember.

1. Late 80's early 90's, t.v. series.

2. Involved (3)furturistic type vehicles with humans driving them, one of which was a lamborghani type car pulling a tractor trailer.

3. Along the same lines of The Highwayman, but that is not it.( At Least I don't think so).

If I remember correctly they may have turned into other vehicles but its real vague. It was not a cartoon, it was live action. And I know for sure it was not that Team Knight Rider crap. I wanna say Dolph Lundgren was like the man guy but it doesn't show up in IMDB. Someone PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!! IT'S DRIVING ME NUCKIN FUTS.

Goldenlion007

[134]Jan 27, 2009
    Wow ok I answered my own question, it was the highwayman his buddy jetto got a similar truck but it was the car i was thinking about pulling it. Now if there was another show similar to this, then someone please tell me it.

sylinc

[135]Jan 27, 2009
    Alright, a friend of mine told me you guys were incredible at identifying old sci-fi series so here's the one that has bothered me for the past 10 years or so:

It was a late 80s or early 90s series on one of the major networks (I didn't have cable) possibly Fox. In the show a group of humans live in a post-apocalyptic world in a large base. They have all sorts of technology including lasers, vehicles, and virtual reality. They are trying to survive against a race of cave man like creatures that they do battle with. One other defining part of the show I recall is that one of the "human" crew members is half "cave-man" and says that he is in constant pain and understands why the cave-man creatures are always so aggressive. Can anyone identify this series for me? Thanks in advance!

qfred9

[136]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 62

Sylinc - Do the humans have coloured crystals in their chests? if so then 'Island City'.

Dazula - there was an Otherworld ep called 'Rock and Roll suicide' where the eldest kids played Beatles songs as their own.

Edited on 01/27/2009 1:05pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Lady_Aleena

[137]Feb 10, 2009
    • level: 4
    Timothy0921 wrote:
    I don't remember much about this one, except I get the feeling that it was a series that had to do with space or time travel, maybe both. Anyways, the one part I do remember, was an episode with this guy (teenager), who was talking to a girl, (teenager) in front of a board with lotsa lotsa single lights on it. Some blinking maybe some not. She looked and looked and found the one she was looking for, (they all looked the same, just single lights (small bulb?) and said something like, "Here's mine.. Where's yours?" also indicating that when the light goes out, she would die. I think each light represented one of the people in the civilization, each light monitored each life, and when it went out, it meant the person had died for eom reason. The guy didn't have one, because he wasn't from that civilization, (species?). I get the feeling also, that this guy was a regular character on the show, in addition to a few others, possibly a family, and they were travelling through (space or time?) to get back to their home or find a new one for some reason.
    It could be Logan's Run based on the film of the same name.

Gizmokvack

[138]Feb 11, 2009
    Funlight78 wrote:

Hi everyone!

Iam looking for the name of a tv serie that i liked to watch alot in the early 80s, when i was a kid

Its about a person/s that finds a strange machine on a swamp and he puts it on hes house wind to protect it

I think the machine was from outerspace and I think that the machine gives this person "super abilitys"but iam not shure, and can freeze time while this person/s is/are around other persons

I dont remember if it was about a person or persons that found this machine

Have been searching for this serie a long time now without any results :/

Soo i really hope someone here can give me a helping hand in the search for the name of this tv serie..I really would appreciate this alot

PS:I forgot to mention that i think that the ppl who find this machine also find more parts of the machine and start building it up in the tv series

Have a nice day now guys and take care

I like this forum alot, soo plz keep up the good work =)

Regards Andrea

This sounds a little bit like a show or movie I want to id.

I remember some kids that find a crashed spaceship in a swamp. They bring it back home to the garage, piece by piece. After some time they have put together a communication/portal device that looks like a triangle. They make contact with the aliens and I also remember that they touched the alien through the device.

Anyone recognise it?

mosdf13

[139]Feb 15, 2009
    Wow you guys know your stuff. Hope you can help me out 80's T.V show short lived Future setting Father and Son on the run from something each week they were in a new town

LordNiall

[140]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 15

sounds like "Starman" Starring Robert Hays.
    Erik

mosdf13 wrote:
    Wow you guys know your stuff. Hope you can help me out 80's T.V show short lived Future setting Father and Son on the run from something each week they were in a new town