Forums: Science-Fiction: Looking for the name of an 80's sci fi/fantasy show

grailwolf

[21]Dec 2, 2008
    • level: 55

thebobymon wrote:
    OK I have one. This show was originally aired in the early 80's. It was set in a backdrop of sci fantasy. The only character I can remember is one that had a magic bow and arrows and could rapid fire em at his enemies. I am not sure if this was the main char or not. At the end of the episode the char would lay the bow and arrow down and they would be magically replenished for the next episode. This obviously was a flop and never ran for any length of time. It is impossible to locate in any archive since I don't remember enough, so I have to rely on someone that was a geeky as me back then(Dungeons and Dragons was a big part of my life)

You won't find this here because it was a movie, not a series. What's confusing you is the fact that it was planned as part of a series of made-for-TV movies that would run every couple of months (on ABC, if memory serves). Unfortunately, the first film did very poorly and the project was dropped and has never really been dealt with again.

The series would have been called "The Archer" and the first film was "Fugitive From The Empire". You can sometimes find it under either title or both. Unfortunately, mostly bootlegs exist because it was only officially released once on VHS and copies seem to be expensive and hard to find.

The magic bow, btw, did not shoot rapid fire, it shot arrows which would explode in red flames. The magically replenished arrows had nothing to do with the bow, it was a powerful sorcerer who they were trying to reach sending them a little help.

***SPOILER***

The story was actually pretty complex for early '80s TV, and it would have been a great series if it had continued. I'm sure that someone, somewhere knows what would have happened next (heck, there may even be scripts floating around somewhere) and I'd love to hear the rest of the story.

Here is the VHS version on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Archer-Fugitive-Empire-Lane-Caudell/dp/630018577X

Here is the IMDB entry: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082027/

Edited on 12/02/2008 1:00pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jenn-starr

[22]Dec 4, 2008
    • level: 1

this one might be real late 70`s or early 80`s but like others i get looked at like i have a fin growing out of my head every time i bring this up

i can not remember what ch either cky winnipeg or possibly cknd

my dad and i used to watch it on sat mornings

it was mostly a guy wandering around space ship hallways and comes across terminal screens and there is an old guy with a grey beard with white stripes in it that asks may i be of assistance ?

and thats all i can remember

anyone at all have a bit more of a clue

it was bad bad bad b,c, possibly d sci-fi

malady13

[23]Mar 11, 2009
    i could have sworn the name of this show was "Sparks" as well... where could we have gotten that from, i wonder?

thezman0260

[24]Mar 14, 2009
    • level: 2
    the show your thinking of is "other world". It was a big deal because Spielberg was in volved. I remember watching it and was disapointed that it wasnt very interesting.

JustCub

[25]Mar 31, 2010
    Looks like NBC might be doing a loose remake of this show.

I have seen a preview commercial but for the life of me cannot find a reference or remember its title. I know it was supposed to start sometime in Mid-Late April.

The commercial shows a mom who tells the family "I think we need some time away" and then they go on a trip, stumble across something and get transported elsewhere. If I see the commercial again soon I will edit and post the title and date.

MarkCollins1

[26]Apr 1, 2010

Need help finding a children's fantasy show that i can barely remember. I just remember it had a girl and a boy that each of them had a stone that gave them powers, one blue and cold, the other red and hot. It's possible that this show was made in the 70's , but I watched it in the late 80's . I think i saw it on pbs , but not sure. Ive been trying to find this show for years ugg.

greyfort

[27]Apr 24, 2010
    MarkCollins1 wrote:

Need help finding a children's fantasy show that i can barely remember. I just remember it had a girl and a boy that each of them had a stone that gave them powers, one blue and cold, the other red and hot. It's possible that this show was made in the 70's , but I watched it in the late 80's . I think i saw it on pbs , but not sure. Ive been trying to find this show for years ugg.

The other night I read throught the thread that has 9 pages to it - some folks asked about this show there but I don't recall if there's an answer there simply because I don't recognize the show. Neat thread to read through - reminded me of a lot of shows I watched as a kid.

Zwingli4

[28]Apr 27, 2010
    • level: 16

MarkCollins1 wrote:

Was that the one where they were fighting aliens that hid deep underground, and then came up to the surface to conquer Earth? I think I saw that one, where the boy and girl (I remember them being twins) used those stones to destroy the aliens, right? I think I saw that same one. I don't remember the name either but I do remember it didn't air on PBS. I'm sure it was on cable--I vaguely recall it was maybe a very early show on Nickelodeon. It was like an anthology thing where they aired a bunch of scary miniseries. Hope that info helps you find it.

Edited on 04/27/2010 10:31pm
    Edited 2 total times.

kimerlyfountain

[29]May 24, 2010

I have a questiin almost like that one. Does anyone know if there was an 80's tv show with warwick davis in it. I think he was a kid or smething but he could do magic. My husband thinks there was a scene where they were being chased and he made the car that was following them shrink real small.

Quiqzal

[30]May 30, 2010

I do not think it was Warwick Davis, his list of shows and movies does not begin until the movie Time Bandits.

But perhaps you are thinking of David Rappaport he is often confused with Davis, since they both did Time Bandits and were involved in the Star Wars franchise. I vaguely recall a show or something like you are describing.

So many shows began great and were ended either before their time or just not enough interest, though we all loved them.

Best of Luck.

This site maybe of help it shows many of the great little people actors.

http://popcultureaddict.com/movies/midgetspage3/

Quiqzal

[31]May 30, 2010

There is a movie that has an elf that fires rapid arrows, one of my favorite B movies of all time "Hawk The Slayer" with Jack Palance.I thought it was a TV show at one time until I found it again, perhaps there is a confusion there like I had. You can usually find it out and about on the web, I have only found it on VHS....perhaps someday on DVD...LOL. I know one can hope.

Edited on 05/29/2010 11:42pm

aoirthoir

[32]Jun 5, 2010

awoitkowski wrote:
    One more thing, is this on DVD?

Well this site from a google search claims to have the DVD:http://www.tvdvdnet.com/Otherworld.html

And the google search brings up some results:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=p&tbs=vid:1&q=otherworld+80s+sci+fi+dvd&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Including this:http://fantasticflix.net/product_info.php?products_id=444

Hope that helps. I'm going to be getting it for myself fornostalgicreasons.

bigphil864

[33]Jan 18, 2011

I'm looking for the name of an old show that I think came on sci-fi channel. It had a computer generated guy who went on special missions. He drove a black futuristic looking car with blue neon lights on it. I want to say the show was called Mr. Perfect or something. Does anyone else remember this show?

paddyskin

[34]Jun 25, 2011
    hi the name of the programe was automan

Urgthock

[35]Aug 5, 2011
    kimerlyfountain wrote:

I have a questiin almost like that one. Does anyone know if there was an 80's tv show with warwick davis in it. I think he was a kid or smething but he could do magic. My husband thinks there was a scene where they were being chased and he made the car that was following them shrink real small.

As earlier stated, it wasn't Warwick Davis, it was David Rappaport. The name of the show was "The Wizard". I used to LOVE that show. I remember the episode where he had what looked like a model of a house and when it got wet from the snow that was falling, it grew into a full size house... ok well not full sized but still pretty big.

Urgthock

[36]Aug 5, 2011

I am also looking for the name of a TV show I remember watching when I was a child. It was definitely a fantasy based show as both the main hero and main villain wore plate armor and used swords. The only episode I can remember was one where they were both in the same dungeon trying to find a piece of magical fruit that would cure the poison that both theheroslove interest and the villainwere suffering from.Whenthey tried to fight each other with their (magical) swords, as soon as they their swords connected they turned into chains that linked them together. They then had to figure their way out of the dungeon shackled to each other. At one point, the hero fell under a portcullis and was going to be killed but the villain grabbed the portcullis and stopped it from falling all the way. The villain then threatened to let it fall onto the hero and kill him since he hated the hero so much, but the hero had the fruit in his hand and said that the villain would never get the fruit if the hero died while the villain was chained to him. Ok, so... that's all I remember about the show. Anyone have any ideas? I think this would have been right around 1985 or so.

sctt13

[37]Oct 29, 2011

So after a Long search with no results i have finally found my way here.

I vaguely recall a show from when i was a kid (may be a movie) I would guess its from the 80's ish???. Anyways its abouta group of people who journey to the center of the earth lookin for "something" not a cartoon and no dinosaurs in it. but it is kinda like a maze with some creepy dude that has been there for a long time and like rules all the weird creatures there and ya. like i said its a bit vague but im hoping someone has a clue what im talking about or if im just crazy haha

qfred9

[38]Oct 31, 2011
    • level: 62

Sounds a bit like 'Into The Labyrinth'

tvquester

[39]Feb 15, 2013

Hi guys this is a massive shot in the dark but looking for a late 80's early 90's tv series (just one season, like a long serialised film) all i can remember is its about a group of travellers and each episode they go to a different place to find another block/fragment (glowing yellow i think) to rebuild a time clock or something to save time but in the end they are betrayed. Thats all i can remember.

thanks