We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Forums: Science-Fiction: Need Help Finding 50's/60's Sci-Fi/Horror Show

mooch26

[1]Jan 1, 2007
    • level: 1
    Hi-- I've got a scene from an old Sci-Fi/Horror show (or possibly movie) stuck in my head-- and I am unable to figure out what show it was from. I saw this on a B&W TV when I was a kid sometime between 1963 and 1967 and it scared the daylights out of me. It was about a child whose drawings become reality. I think it was an episode of a Twilight Zone/Hitchcock/Outer Limits/One Step Beyond type show, but lengthy searches of episode guides have been futile. Here's the creepy scene...

A couple discovers that a young child (their daughter?) has caused the house to start on fire. It is because she has drawn a picture of a burning house. When the man moves toward the girl to try to stop her from drawing, she grabs a framed photo of him from a shelf and draws a line across it. The man then notices that he has a bleeding cut across his cheek. As he angrily reaches for the girl, she violently draws all over the man's photo. The man lets out a blood-curdling scream as his photo is completely covered...........The end.

Is this scene familiar to anybody? I'd appreciate any clues to help me find where this scene was from. Thanks!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Lawrencevanrijn

[2]Jan 3, 2007
    • level: 11
    It feels like an episode of 'the Outer limits' or the Twilight zone. I reckon the first one, because that one tended to be a little wilder then the Twilight zone.

mooch26

[3]Jan 14, 2007
    Thanks for the reply-- I've looked over the episode guides for the Outer Limits, Twilight Zone and Hitchcock but have never found any good match for this plot. A friend of mine has suggested that it might be an episode of Boris Karloff's "Thriller". I recently found a great episode guide for those shows:

http://www.thrillerguide.net/

Those creepy Thriller stories seem to be what I'm looking for, but again no episode synopsis matches my story. I sure wish that this plot was familiar to someone... Hey, how about if I make my own horror flick with that exact same ending and then see who sues me for stealing his/her idea? ....Nah.

twilightboy

[4]Feb 1, 2007
    • level: 23
    mooch26 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply-- I've looked over the episode guides for the Outer Limits, Twilight Zone and Hitchcock but have never found any good match for this plot. A friend of mine has suggested that it might be an episode of Boris Karloff's "Thriller". I recently found a great episode guide for those shows:

http://www.thrillerguide.net/

Those creepy Thriller stories seem to be what I'm looking for, but again no episode synopsis matches my story. I sure wish that this plot was familiar to someone... Hey, how about if I make my own horror flick with that exact same ending and then see who sues me for stealing his/her idea? ....Nah.

That looks like an awesome show! How come i never heard about it?!

DaggettBeaver

[5]Apr 10, 2007
    Or maybe an episode of "One Step Beyond" (probably too old, though) or the original "Tales from the Darkside"?

Celtwytch

[6]Jan 29, 2008
    • level: 8

It sort of sounds like the film Paperhouse, made in 1988.

Celtwytch

[7]Jan 29, 2008
    Celtwytch wrote:

It sort of sounds like the film Paperhouse, made in 1988.

Sorry - cancel that - you mentioned seeing it a long time before 1988!

EelKat

[8]Mar 9, 2008
    • level: 2

It seems like I remember seeing something like that when I was maybe 5 or 6 years old. It sounds very familiar, and my first thought was that it is an episode from "Tales From the Darkside", (which was a lot darker and scaryier than Twilight Light Zone or Outer Limits), or possibly "Night Gallery", in fact it's just the type of thing Night Gallaery was known for.... paintings that come to life was a reoccuring theme that they used over and over again.

Night Gallery always started out in an art museum, and the host would walk up to a painting and start talking about it, and than the camera would zom in on the painting and it would come alive and become the episode. Every episode started that way, and often the episode had something to do with paintings or art in the show as well. Some episodes got pretty scary. I think maybe ou should loook for an episode guide for Night Gallery cause I think it's most likly to be from that.

raygoshay

[9]May 16, 2008
    • level: 15

Sorry, I can't tell you what show that story was on. But I'm nearly positive it's NOT Night Gallery.

I'm fairly certain I've seen the episode you're talking about. I thought it was Rod Serling's Night Gallery also, but I haven't seen that show since it aired over 30 years ago. I checked their website with no luck. I went over each episode, nada. I guess there's a chance the page is wrong, yet it IS the official website.

It sounds like a thin tale, so maybe it wasn't on an anthology TV series but rather a segment from a 60s anthology horror film like Asylum, Torture Garden or Beyond the Grave. These neat multi-storied creep-fests were usually very effective whether they were made in the US or UK. Actually I love one that's a Japanese production, Kwaidan. BTW it's one of my guilty pleasures, watching these generally low budget films. I own perhaps a dozen of them which I picked up by taping them off local TV stations in the 80s. Check them out if you haven't seen them already.

Edited on 05/16/2008 2:32pm

mooch26

[10]Nov 4, 2008
    raygoshay wrote:

It sounds like a thin tale, so maybe it wasn't on an anthology TV series but rather a segment from a 60s anthology horror film like Asylum, Torture Garden or Beyond the Grave. These neat multi-storied creep-fests were usually very effective whether they were made in the US or UK.

I've just taken a look at one of those anthology-type films: "The House That Dripped Blood" from 1970. It has 4 stories in it, and the 3rd segment-- which I think is called "Sweets To The Sweet"-- is very close in theme to the story I was looking for. In this film, a young girl pokes and burns a wax voodoo doll to hurt her father. The story I saw as a kid had a similar plot, but it ended with the child drawing all over a guy's photo. I don't recall if there was a voodoo doll in that story-- there might have been. Anyone know of some more older shows with this "kid-tortures-grown-up-with-voodoo" theme?

marypatw

[11]Dec 21, 2008
    I need help for the same thing. It might be a movie or tv show from horror anthology. the plot concerns a man in a museum of some kind or art gallery and he stops to look at a painting of a house 2 story with 2 windows upstairs and 2 downstairs. A guide comes up behind him and begins to describe the painting as though the man were walking down a long widing driveway up to the door. The camera moves as if the man were walking up to the door when the man says " feels almost like you could knock on that door and it would open doesn't it?" And before that he asks the man if he doesn't think the painting would look better if there were a light in one of the windows. ...Then the door opens and the camera and man enter the house where someone slams the door strangles the man and a light goes on in the window. Then another person comes up and looks at the same painting and the whole thing starts all over again. I was about 9 or 10 and it was either late 50's or early 60's and I was very impressionable so after the second person was strangled and the second light went on I was too scared to watch anymore but I've always wondered if it were something like Shock Theater or Alfred Hitchcock presents. I know it wasn't Night Gallery or Twilight Zone. I don't know about One Step Beyond or Outer Limits.

wegie12

[12]Mar 29, 2009

Trying to find out about a sci-fi/horror show in which I cant remember the series name. no one in my family saw it so they think I am imagining it. it may have been 'tales from the dark side' or ' One step beyond' or other series similar to these. I believe it was a black and white 30 min. story. the story is said to be based on a true story and happened in small southern missouri town. a boy, out in the woods with his little 'benjie' looking dog, the dog falls into a hole. the boy finds the hole but cant reach the dog. strange terryfying noises coming from hole. boy gets his father to help get whining dog out of hole, dad gets townsfolk to come with ropes and dad goes into hole on a rope. they hear dog squeeling and then a yelp and dad starts to scream wildly... men pull dad up as fast as they can. his hair is snow white, he stares blankly and is silent and limp. when they get the rope off him he runs wildly away. in the end the words come up on the screen that the father had to be admitted to a mental institution and spent the rest of his life there without ever speaking again. anyone but me seen this one? even if I cant find it on tape or disc I would just like to know I didnt imagine it. Thanx

mooch26

[13]Apr 11, 2009
    Hi Wegie-- Well, I had never seen it before, but I was able to find the show about the guy going down the hole, in 2 parts on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMvn_A2VJq0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1e1V9ubdlE

I sure wish I had some better luck finding my lost show. The one I'm looking for about the kid drawing on the guy's picture is from many years earlier.

Robin58

[14]Jul 18, 2010

I am trying to piece together something I remember from the early 60's that was black & white on TV I saw. I don't remember if it was a movie or episodic or live tv. It was similar to a Ray Bradbury theme with aliens who had no eyes or noses but a mouth and the rest of the part of the "human" body per se. It was like on another planet I believe with humans and these alien like creatures. It was memorable because I remember the aliens had no eyes (maybe blind); I don't think they had noses either... but could communicate, maybe by Telepathy. I have been wracking my brain for 40 years! I know it wasn't the Twilight Zone....

Please help.

Robin

gnick37

[15]Sep 24, 2010

Does anyone remember a show that If I remember clearly was in black and white. The opening had a horse pulling a wagon and a hand would come out of the ground. I want to say the name of the show sounded like Boo, but I can't remember.

kjoyner

[16]Oct 23, 2010

try these articles, maybe one will hit for you.

http://www.helium.com/knowledge/156050-unforgettable-60s-sci-fi-series

dragonwings2010

[17]May 3, 2011

My dad told me about an episode that he watch as a child and it freaked him out. It even gave him nightmares. This is how it goes: This woman got a house and there was a tunnel or a well with a cap over it. She kept hearing noises from under the cap. They took the cap off but he doesn't remember what happens after that but he's been telling me about it for years.

DavidRatcliff

[18]May 20, 2011

I have a distant memory of a British (ITV?) sci fi / drama series.

Set on either a rubbish dump or a scrap/junk yard.

Late sixties, possibly early seventies. Videoed rather than on film.

In one scene someone is offered a cup to drink out of that never empties.

Not much to go on, but that is all I can remember.

Can anyone help please, this has been niggling me for years.

TIA!

goodie2010

[19]Jul 31, 2011
    I'm looking for the title of a 50's or 60's science fiction movie where it rains at the end and everyone is saved because the invaders-aliens-monsters dissolve. They look like large rocks or small boulders 2-3 feet in diameter. The main characters are a male scientist and female assiastant-lover? trying to stop the alien threat.

vze57t9j

[20]Aug 20, 2011

I'm not sure if anyone can help me with this one. I may not have the correct era of the Sci-Fi/Horror Anthology television series, I saw this as a preteen in the 1980's. It may have been made in the 70's.

I cannot remember the name of the series and it is killing me. The series didn't star anyone that I recognize as famous in the US. The actors spoke with an accent, possibly filmed in the UK or Canada. The series did not have a host, and the shows were 60 minutes longshot in color.

The episode that I remember distinctly is one where a man gets into an automobile accident, loses his arm, gets rushed to a hospital, and is operated on to reattach the limb. The surgeons cannot reattach, so a donor arm is found and attached - it is grusome looking with sharp, pointed thick nails, almost like claws. The man's wife and children are told this bit of info and that he will need time to recover. The man eventually comes out of the anesthesia, but no longer has the ability to speak. The family is called to the hospital to see the man, but the wife is adamant that the man is not her husband and is an imposter. The doctor's assure her that this is her husband, but the combination of the seeing her husband with the foreignarm not being able to hear his voice, and the stress of the ordeal has gotten to her. She takes him home and things start going wrong. The donor limb has a mind of its own and attacks the wife. In the end they find out that the donor for the limb was a murderer.

I can remember seeing quite a few of these episodes, but this one is the most detailed. Another involved a scenario with a Changling being substituted for a child.

If anyone can recall the name of this series, I would be grateful.