Forums: Science-Fiction: Supernatural won't make it to a 3rd season.

OliverTrimble

[1]Dec 2, 2005
    • level: 15
    Dear Fans,

I thought you might appreciate my thoughts on the matter of the future of Supernatural. I have never watched the show myself but I am an experienced television critic and will draw my information from ratings information and from other shows similar to this.
    Firstly it is true that The WB have put in an order for a full 22 episode season, personally I believe this to be an unwise decision implemented too early. Though the information may not have surfaced until much later Supernatural has actually been picked up for a full season since it's 4th episode when it was performing well into the 5 million viewers. However if one is to fast-forward the clock it is clear to see the WB's trust in the show had been misplaced. Eventually the bad reviews of the show connected to the viewers and the show's ratings dipped to the low 4 million and lost against Spelling's "Charmed" which is in the WB's worst timeslot and is in it's 8th year.
    The WB has made this decision too early with many of it's shows such as Popular and Roswell both of which lasted only 2 seasons. In an effort to boost low ratings in the second half of season one which is almost inevitable the WB will ask for a change in it's second year which always seems to kill the show rather than save it. Ratings are then likely to spiral down and the WB will predictably cut the episode order to 18 episodes or move it to another timeslot before cancelling the show. After this the show may be lucky enough to be picked up by another network, though UPN would have earlier been a favourite for this type of move they have now stated they will never again pick up a used show especially not from the WB. This statement came after both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Roswell both did badly for the network after making the move from the WB.
    Though there is a chance the network may renew the show for a 3rd season something which I do not expect but am prepared for. The budget however will be cut dramatically and even then there is no guarantee the show will last for another 22 episodes or even 18.
    It is not a good sign when a new show's ratings begin to diminish after only 10 episodes on the air. I know what to expect from the fans, they will be disbelieving as ever. If one was to step away and see the whole picture however the story of a show such as this one has been told over and over.
    Another reason why the show is unlikely to make it to a 3rd season is the much talked about newer supernatural drama "Cult" which is getting more buzz than Supernatural ever did. This could even have the possibility to take Supernatural's timeslot and kill it before the show even makes it to a 2nd season.
    I suggest if the fans want this show to survive they should be prepared to campaign hard to get this show moved or renewed because this is the beginning of the worst.
    Thank you,

Oliver Trimble
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hercfan1

[2]Dec 2, 2005
    • level: 6
    I don't know. I think this show is better than alot of the crap they show.

drewshack

[3]Dec 2, 2005
    • level: 47
    OliverTrimble wrote:
    I have never watched the show myself

See, this is why I don't put stock in what most critics have to say. They don't actually take in the shows they choose to critique.

Pi

[4]Dec 2, 2005
    • level: 10
    This person is no critic.....if he/she were his/her spelling and grammar would be far better, as most critics WRITE their critiques in some sort of publication. The "critique" was obviously posted by someone with little schooling/experience in writing.....not to say the person doesn't have skills elsewhere....

I don't understand the need of some people to come here and gloat about a certain show being "horrible" or canceled. If you have never even SEEN the show, why come here and write about it in such a negative manner? It is simply ridiculous.......and offensive to the 4 million fans of the show you mentioned in your "critique". Posts like these are obviously written for the sole purpose of annoying others and inciting argument. Don't give them what they want.....let these garbage posts die.....

OliverTrimble

[5]Dec 3, 2005
    • level: 15
    One can be a television critic without actually working as one.

archangelcory16

[6]Dec 3, 2005
    • level: 32
    Like I said in the Supernatural forum...the show is a huge hit for the WB and the ratings are back up, I very much doubt we have anything to worry about. At least not yet. You can't predict anything when season one isn't even done yet.

maxpower03

[7]Dec 4, 2005
    • level: 42
    One can be a television critic without actually working as one

I've written over 250 reviews for this site but I don't see myself as a "television critic". To have that title you need to have your work published some place like a magazine or paper. You make yourself sound like somebody who is respected when I don't think anybody cares what you say.

GODHOOD

[8]Dec 4, 2005
    • level: 17
    I doubt they'll cancel Supernatural so fast, in fact I say it will go five seasons at least. They have plenty of stories to continue. My prediction will come true because I actually have seen the series, and the ratings have gone up again.

havan_ironoak

[9]Dec 4, 2005
    • level: 19
    OliverTrimble wrote:
    The WB has made this decision too early with many of it's shows such as Popular and Roswell both of which lasted only 2 seasons.

Roswell lasted three seasons.

skeeter291

[10]Dec 4, 2005
    • level: 60
    I think that you should at least see the show before you give an opinion on it. Supernatural is a good show and I think that it will go on for at least 5 seasons.

xGowronx

[11]Dec 4, 2005
    drewshack wrote:
    OliverTrimble wrote:

See, this is why I don't put stock in what most critics have to say. They don't actually take in the shows they choose to critique.

Nicely put. One should never form a concrete opinion of something without experiencing it firsthand.

jade92264

[12]Dec 4, 2005
    • level: 11
    Well, I love watching this show and I hope you're wrong

lequericacalvo

[13]Dec 10, 2005
    Pi wrote:
    drewshack wrote:

OliverTrimble wrote:
    hercfan1 wrote:

This person is no critic.....if he/she were his/her spelling and grammar would be far better, as most critics WRITE their critiques in some sort of publication. The "critique" was obviously posted by someone with little schooling/experience in writing.....not to say the person doesn't have skills elsewhere....

I don't understand the need of some people to come here and gloat about a certain show being "horrible" or canceled. If you have never even SEEN the show, why come here and write about it in such a negative manner? It is simply ridiculous.......and offensive to the 4 million fans of the show you mentioned in your "critique". Posts like these are obviously written for the sole purpose of annoying others and inciting argument. Don't give them what they want.....let these garbage posts die.....
    I don't know. I think this show is better than alot of the crap they show.

I like also this show, but let´s see how the writers create new stories.

archangelcory16

[14]Dec 11, 2005
    The beauty of it is - the writers already HAVE stories out there. HUNDREDS of them. They don't need to come up with original ideas. They just have to choose an urban legend, put a fresh spin on it, put in some character development and incorporate the series threads, and BAM! An episode.

scooby_92

[15]Dec 11, 2005
    • level: 11
    It will do fine, it is following Gilmore Girls so people watch it after that. And after Gilmore Girls goes off the air, it will have its own audience.

Alydarbaby

[16]Dec 11, 2005
    I'm hoping it lasts for 10 seasons myself. LOLOL... I've been waiting for a show like this since Buffy and Angel went off the air.

archangelcory16

[17]Dec 11, 2005
    Alydarbaby wrote:
    I'm hoping it lasts for 10 seasons myself. LOLOL... I've been waiting for a show like this since Buffy and Angel went off the air.

I think ten seasons is kinda pushing it.

xGowronx

[18]Dec 19, 2005
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    Alydarbaby wrote:

Yeah, definitely.

Alydarbaby

[19]Dec 20, 2005
    xGowronx wrote:
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    Alydarbaby wrote:

Yeah, definitely.

Yeah, but it's only a dream. LOLOLOL... Trying to be optimistic here. LOLOL

rpgfan88

[20]Dec 21, 2005
    • level: 3
    I think Supernatural will be fine. If anything I see it getting better instead of worse. I definitely think it will be around for at least three seasons and as the writers find their tone and really identify how and what kinds of stories they want to tell it will skyrocket!