Forums: Science-Fiction: "Yeti" Sci Fi Channel movie :(

[1]Jan 31, 2009
    • level: 55
    I've seen some bad "original" movies but this is right up there (or down there) with the worst of them, unless they were going for that "unintentional/intentional" comedy thing. Like many of the earlier Sci Fi Channel movies, the story was basically a rip-off of a well-known movie, in this case "Alive". In that movie, a plane carrying a rugby team crashed in the Andes. The survivors resorted to eating dead passengers while they awaited rescue. In "Yeti", a plane carrying a college football team crashes in the Himalayas and the group struggles to decide whether to eat the dead passengers. (Don't ask me why an entire football team from a small state college is flying around together over the Himalayas. I missed the first half of the movie. It probably wouldn't have made sense even if I saw the whole movie.) The twist is that the survivors get attacked by a Yeti.

I know most of these movies have limited budgets but can't they even make an effort to get basic things right? They filmed in some gently rolling snow-covered hills with plenty of trees around. It looked like the elevation was 500-1000 feet at the most and the bunny hill of the local ski resort was right around the corner. Then there's the Yeti. It was some guy in a furry white suit and a rubber mask. They had a lot of close-ups, which made it quite clear that the supposedly fearsome creature was actually about 6'1" or 6'2" and maybe 170 lbs. There were also some CGI scenes where the Yeti did some "Incredible Hulk" leaps on the mountain, er, hill.

Sadly, this wasn't even one of those "it's so bad it's good" movies. At least the "Pterodactyl" movie was mildly entertaining.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

[2]Feb 2, 2009
    • level: 34

After reading your review I won't watch it. Sounds really bad.

[3]Mar 19, 2009
    • level: 52

Lets put it this way, I saw this the other day and although it isn't the worst thing that sci-fi has done it is by no means the best either. In short it is what we have come to expect from a sci-fi orginal movie.