Forums: Shows in Development: MAJOR CW Development: Network Renews 7th Heaven for 11th season!

TM56

[1]May 12, 2006
    • level: 33

MAJOR NEWS: The CW Renews 7th Heaven!

Oh my God! Oy my God! It is confirmed by Mediaweek.com. A deal was reached earlier today for 7th Heaven to come back for 13 episodes on The CW!

:
    7th Heaven Returns for 11th Season on CW

John Consoli

MAY 12, 2006 -

7th Heaven, the longest-running family drama in television history, in a surprising move, will return for its 11th season on the new CW network this fall. Mediaweek has learned that a deal has been reached to bring the show back for at least 13 episodes. CW officials refused comment.

It was announced last November by then WB entertainment president David Janollari that the show would not be renewed. While no reason was given, it was believed that it was due to cost concerns. The show was thought to be too expensive to bring back. And a big send-off party was held at the conclusion of the shooting of the last episode about a month ago.

But with the merging of the WB with UPN, and an influx of corporate cash in the new partnership of CBS and Warner Brothers, a decision was made to bring back the WB's most-watched show on the new CW.

7th Heaven this season has averaged 5.2 million viewers per show. While the show drew 1.4 million viewers less than last season, it was clearly still one of the most popular shows on the network.

Historically, 7th Heaven delivered 19 of the To0 20 all-time totals in viewers for shows on the WB, and within the 18-49 demo, it produced 17 of the Top 20 show performances of all-time.

The show's stars Stephen Collins, Catharine Hicks, Beverly Mitchell, Mackenzie Rosman, David Gallagher and George Stults are all expected to return.

The CW, like all the broadcast networks, are in the process of putting together their prime-time schedules for next season, in preparation for their upfront presentations next week. The CW is expected to officially announce where on the schedule 7th Heaven will be at its upfront session on Thursay (May 1. 7th Heaven aired in the Monday at 8 p.m. time period this season, and in all likelihood will remain in that time period next season.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/recent_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002501927

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

keith1990

[2]May 12, 2006
    • level: 7
    I'm happy and sad. This is good and will help the CW launch a new series. But just let it end already. The show had it's creative peak years ago and the ratings really aren't what they used to be. Gilmore Girls is almost the same. 7th Heaven used to average 8 million viewers a week and that's why I say to just let it end.

RoxieVelma

[3]May 12, 2006
    • level: 60
    Then they better make that last episode a dream because that turned me away from any future episodes, EVER.

archangelcory16

[4]May 13, 2006
    • level: 32
    BOOO!!!!

muzikguy92

[5]May 13, 2006
    • level: 19
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    BOOO!!!!

Someone's happy about this news! lol

maaarin

[6]May 13, 2006
    • level: 18
    THIS SUCKS BIG TIME!

keith1990

[7]May 13, 2006
    The finale answered all my questions so why would I keep watching? Man, they just ruined a show that left at the perfect time.

FanWriter

[8]May 13, 2006
    It would be different if the show was younger and fans really wanted it to come back... but its kind of like if Friends had ended back in May of 2004, and then two weeks later they announce its returning for an 11th season. Let the show go. A spinoff would be okay but there is no reason for the series to return. Watch it blow up in their faces and fans stop watching the series during its 11th season.

Chuukou

[9]May 14, 2006
    • level: 14
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    BOOO!!!!

I agree completely. I'm wondering how they're going to get a new story out after they just finished all their stories. The thing is that "Reba" (facing cancellation) apparently didn't fit into the The CW's supposed audience, but 7th Heaven does?

litehslvr

[10]May 14, 2006
    • level: 1
    I cannot believe this has been renewed!  The writing on the finale was PURE cheese...my daughter was beating herself over the head with a lamp to relieve her disgust.  I only watched the finale because I thought it was actually OVER and wanted to see all the loose ends tied up.  Surely it means something to the producers that Jessica Biel only agreed to come back for the finale.  Barry Watson has moved on to his own series...maybe the hint should be taken to MOVE ON!

mnemosyne_414

[11]May 14, 2006
    • level: 8
    Ugh, you're kidding.  That show needed to end after season 5...

camdensroc

[12]May 14, 2006
    this has got to be the best news I've had all day!!!! I am a die hard fan and to be honest, this show is not only entertaining, but has helped me through a very difficult time recently. I am completely stoked !!! I believe this show deserves an eleventh season and I for one, will be taking in every 13th episode this fall!!!! Thank you CW!

camdensroc

[13]May 14, 2006
    well...I am certainly glad its being renewed!!!! This is a great show and millions, yes millions can't be wrong!!! I don't care what some people think, 7th Heaven rocks and hey, there are so many interesting things to do with this wonderful cast yet!

GODHOOD

[14]May 15, 2006
    • level: 17
    My guess why it's getting another season is that The CW didn't like their new pilot shows they ordered. Which means hopefully One Tree Hill will get renewed as well.
    Edited on 05/15/2006 9:13am