Forums: Shows in Development: Tons Of Network Pilot Reviews!

FanWriter

[1]May 13, 2007
    • level: 7

These are reviews sent in by members of test audiences that screened drama and comedy pilots (these are from IMDB and Pilot Buzz Central)

ABC

Big Shots
    1) "The opening scene really makes the show high stakes. Too bad the rest of the episode couldn't keep up to pace with that momentum. The cast looks nice."
    2) "This show looks like fun. I'm sure it will be a hit, especially if it has a good lead-in."

Carpoolers -- You think it would be smarter with all of the stuff it has going on in it. There are like five subplots. I don't think it will get on the air because it is about the same as In Case of Emergency. It is like that show but with more men."

Cashmere Mafia -- "You can totally tell they are going for a Sex and the City vibe. Lucy Liu comes off as cold, but overall the show is funny and should appeal to ABC viewers."

Cavemen
    1) "Not as bad as I thought it would be. I actually laughed out loud a few times. I do wonder how they'll keep finding storylines."
    2) "I know a lot of people like the Geico commercials but I hate them. That is probably part of why I hate this show. I think the other reason is that you can tell they are trying to make the characters look like fish out of water and it just doesn't work because you know there really wouldn't be cavemen around."

Footballer Wives -- "I swear the only thing good about the show is Gabrielle Union. Most of it was a big mess where they would do something and then you could tell the actors thought it was funny but most people just sat there. One lady even started complaining to her husband that it was too raunchy and then they left. I don't think this one is going to make it too far."

Private Practice
    1) "The people in the audience with me kept cracking up, but then when we talked about it afterwards they kept saying they were laughing because it was so dumb. And the characters were all stupid."
    2) "I heard lots of complaints that Addison was not at all like on Grey's. I also think they need to get rid of all of the people crying all of the time. It was either depressing or rediculous [sic]."

Sam I Am -- "Christina Applegate shines in this. I'm not sure where the story is going, but I guess that isn't a bad thing."

CBS

Cane
    1) "Sometimes slow, but the acting was really good. I would watch it again, but I think that a lot of people aren't going to get it. The main woman looks familiar. I bet she wins a lot of acting awards."
    2) "It was powerful and it really drew the audience in. One guy was asking if they could see another episode and give feedback because he wanted to see what happened next."

The Man -- "LL Cool J seems a bit uncomfortable in this role, but the story is great and you really end up caring for the family."

Swingtown
    1) "Way too impressed with itself. It isn't as edgy as it would like to think."
    2) "I couldn't help but like it. It was like watching an art movie. I really like how it made you think about how we judge others. The characters were relatable even though I'm not a swinger."

Viva Laughlin -- "It is different, but very good. I think this will surprise people."

Fox

Back to You
    1) "Hilarious! They really have a good rapport going with the cast. Patricia Heaton proves her comic timing."
    2) "Parts of it were so funny, but then other parts were kind of clever. The twist really got everyone who was watching."

The Return Of Jezebel James -- "I thought it was pretty funny. Parker Posey overacts quite a bit, but it kind of works because Loren Ambros [sic] is so low key. The plot is rushed but I think people will come back. I can tell you it is NOT like Gilmore Grils [sic]."

K-Ville
    1) "Scary."
    2) "I don't think this one is going to make it. It felt creepy to watch the show, and I guess that's the point, but a lot of the time it was just uncomfortable. Maybe in the future it won't be, but I won't be finding out."

New Amsterdam
    1) "This will never make it. I almost fell asleep twice, and I just had a cup of coffee."
    2) "It was sort of interesting. I guess I would watch it if nothing else was on."

NBC

Chuck
    1) "The funniest nerd show I've ever seen. I think this one will go places."
    2) "When I got paid to watch this, I was pretty happy. To tell you the truth, it was pretty good and I thought it was a good deal. I will watch it in the fall."

Journeyman -- "Very good show. I think it would be a good fit with just about anything on NBC. It has the kind of quality. When they asked if I would watch again, I said yes I would."

Lipstick Jungle
    1) "I thought it was dorky. I like all three of the leads. They are appealing. But I felt like something was off the whole time, and the more I thought about it I started to realize these women are just plain dorky."
    2) "I think I would watch, but I hope they make it snappier. It seemed to drag sometimes."

And more reviews from IMDB....

Lipstick Jungle (NBC)
    "I saw this at Universal Studios, Hollywood CA, a couple of days ago. I volunteered to test it, give opinions and was paid $15.00 for my time. Anyway, I liked it very much. I hope it gets picked up. It reminded me of "Valley of the Dolls" (without the booze and dope) meets "Sex in the City" (without all the slutty, trashy, sex talk, which I hate). It was very stylish and smart, and had other qualities I enjoy. I like camp, Divas, and over the top stories and performances. It had a good pace, great score (rock) and the acting was excellent."

Dirty Sexy Money (ABC)
    "I just saw the pilot episode in a focus group. I thought it was very entertaining with some very funny moments. Peter Krause is great in it as he is in everything else he does. I would highly reccommend this show if it makes it to air in the fall."

"LOVE the pilot! I really hope it makes it to air. The music is PERFECT in the show. Diverse and catchy, fits perfectly."

Football Wives (ABC)
    "It was AWFUL. It was really sleazy and the dialogue was incredibly cheesy. I don't know why they wasted their money. Eddie Cibrian and Gabrielle Union are good in it though."

Journeyman (NBC)
    "i was lucky enough to be able to critic this show in universal studios. i will say that i enjoyed very much. the majority of the actors did a steller job. the show was full of suspense and excitment. i really hope that this show will come out and be successful."

Gossip Girl (CW)
    "Seriously im really disappointed this show could have been soo much better! But Josh Schwartz, come on the OC sucked, and he's going to make GG just like the OC in NY...i've read the scripts. It's very teeny bopper, the books are better. Hopefully it gets cancelled...cause there is MUCH better material out there."

The IT Crowd (NBC)
    "I was in Universal Studios when I was approaced and asked to view a new sitcom for $10. I said sure and I had to sit and watch this trash. It wasn't funny at all and whoever picks up this show, please don't!"

Cane (CBS; previously known as Los Duques)
    "This is premature, as I can't comment on the content yet with the NDA, but I saw prescreening of this and my opinion is that I liked it very much. As soon as I saw Hector Elizondo and Jimmy Smits in the same production, my expectations were automatically high. The story is easy to understand, but in a good way: I would like this to make it to TV because it has some satisfying dramatic acting between actors that I like, with a little twist from their usual casting. I think it would at least make a powerful miniseries. 8 out of 10."

Back To You (FOX)
    "It was actually funny, believe it or not.

Fred Willard's the man.

And for all who are wondering, Aimee Garcia and Paul Campbell have been re-cast. Garcia's replacement is a MUCH hotter hispanic actress (can't remember the name) and Campbell has been replaced with a fat guy you've never heard of who obviously bases his comedy on Chris Farley and steals the entire sitcom... after Fred Willard. Ty Burrell pretty much duplicates the cynical and sarcastic character he played in Dawn of the Dead. And Patricia Heaton is somewhat of a space case. At one point Burroughs yells action and Grammer walks into Heaton's office and she's not there. She missed so many cues it was hilarious and I get the feeling Grammer would have blown his top at least twice at Burroughs if it wasn't the pilot and he had more episodes under his belt. Burroughs runs through take after take after take, and Levitan made many script changes in between takes.

Interestingly enough, Grammer will stop a take and request going back a few pages to correct a slip-up in dialogue that he made, which isn't that common.

And there's a BIG secret revealed in the pilot that permanently links three of the main characters and seemingly will add an entirely new dimension for the rest of the show. It was very interesting (and I hate sitcoms).

But make no mistake, Fred Willard (sports) OWNS this show for the scenes that he's in."

New Amsterdam (FOX)
    "Interesting show. My husband loved it, which is a shock because he doesn't like much that TV has to offer.

Nikolaj in the pilot reminds a bit of an Eliot Stabler character, with a sort of calm and cool distracted, yet slightly focused air. He also has a true artistic talent (if the show makes it to the air, watch what Nikolaj does with the gorgeous table and the resolution when the table is sold.....that scene is rather funny.)and a close to photographic memory.

I have no idea when it will air. I hope that something else comes up to state when it WILL be aired because my husband claims that he'd never miss an episode if they were all like the pilot."

Carpoolers (ABC)
    "Just saw it this morning, and frankly I didn't find it funny. It was all way too expected. Stupid Humor, A couple of annoying characters, and "the Player." Please write something smarter Hollywood. I realize we only saw the pilot today, but it would help if the characters had some depth. The player is a divorcée on the wrong side of her lawyer. There are two "whipped" characters, and the young kid who just started carpooling. The husband is is worried because his wife makes more than him should worry more about the son named after a comic strip dog who usually goes sans pants. The whipped husband who's wife watches TV as "work" come on, give me a break. Stay away from this show, lots of bubblegum, not a lot of substance."

The Return Of Jezebel James (FOX)
    "Saw it through an online survey. It's really not that great. Doesn't really offer anything that any other half-hour sitcom would. The humor is only so-so and isn't really done in a manner that's realistic."

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CWHunter

[2]May 13, 2007
    • level: 10
    Pretty much what I expected considering the scores that was faxed to me yesterday.

I think Cane and Big Shots will emerge as hits next year.

ladycanuck

[3]May 13, 2007
    I've heard good things about Los Duques and am really hoping CBS picks it up.  Not a fan of the name change though. When I think of Cane I think of candy canes or the guy in the bible or the name of an individual. Los Duques is an ensemble cast and the name "Cane" just doesn't fit. It's a bad name and it's not a name that catches your attention. I hope they change it because I know how important a show name is in this day and age. Many people pick their shows by glancing at the info guide on the TV and a show called "Cane" would likely be overlooked. I'm crossing my fingers they change the name.

CWHunter

[4]May 13, 2007
    ICompletely Agree.

ladycanuck wrote:
    I've heard good things about Los Duques and am really hoping CBS picks it up.  Not a fan of the name change though. When I think of Cane I think of candy canes or the guy in the bible or the name of an individual. Los Duques is an ensemble cast and the name "Cane" just doesn't fit. It's a bad name and it's not a name that catches your attention. I hope they change it because I know how important a show name is in this day and age. Many people pick their shows by glancing at the info guide on the TV and a show called "Cane" would likely be overlooked. I'm crossing my fingers they change the name.

archangelcory16

[5]May 13, 2007
    • level: 32
    Cane is a horrendous name, the show definitely needs to be renamed "Los Duques".

EranE

[6]May 14, 2007
    • level: 12
    No, non, "Cane" is a crap name! The C in Cane puts the C in crap! It would make people think of all those one syllable named shows from last season that got axed and people would never watch, especially since one is right to be weary of CBS's treatment of any drama that is not procedural.

I want Alona Tal on the air next season!!!

FanWriter

[7]May 14, 2007
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    Cane is a horrendous name, the show definitely needs to be renamed "Los Duques".

As sad as this may seem, I think they're afraid that people will be turned off when they see a name "Los Duques" for a television series.

DungeonDragon18

[8]Aug 17, 2007

EranE wrote:
    I want Alona Tal on the air next season!!!

In case you didn't know, Alona Tal should be reprising her role as Jo on Supernatural this fall. I say "should", because the fans didn't really warm up to her last season, and she was kind of MIA for the last half of the season. But they did bring her back for one episode, and that episode left her in a pretty interesting position in relation to the lead characters, so I think she'll be back, if only for an episode or two.