Forums: Shows in Development: Why is the CW failing?

Ashs911

[1]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 13

Hey

I live in the UK but I keep very involved in American TV, I watch it at American pace, I look at the overnights every day to see which shows did well etc.

Anyway why is the CW always coming last. I can never work it out. It has great shows which I know a lot of people watch except the ratings don't reflect it. I know CW is mainly amied at teens so I understand the Demo results but viewing figures should be at least 5 million in my opinion.

So what is it that is making The CW so low in the overnights? Maybe someone from the USA can explain it because from what I can see it's a fairly decent channel.

Andy

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tvaddict_10

[2]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 59
    I think the CW is a great channel, maybe not the best but I really don't understand why ratings are so low. Maybe it gets overshadowed by the other Big Four networks. The WB and UPN had low ratings as well but had some good shows. A lot of people are missing out.

Ashs911

[3]Jul 29, 2008
    Maybew the highly anticpated 90210 will draw in more viewers who can then go on to realise how many great shows The CW has.

tribalchic

[4]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 17
    the CW is catored towards a younger audience (age 14-21 or somthing like that) the key demographic is the young adult audience around 21-30 and if they keep premiering drama's around teenage cast's that demo is not going to rise.

xlovedust

[5]Jul 29, 2008
    • level: 45

tribalchic wrote:
    the CW is catored towards a younger audience (age 14-21 or somthing like that) the key demographic is the young adult audience around 21-30 and if they keep premiering drama's around teenage cast's that demo is not going to rise.

That does make sense.

Ashs911

[6]Jul 30, 2008

tribalchic wrote:

I know why the demo is low. But there are millions of teenagers in the US so I don't see why ratings are low.

kdtfiles

[7]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 23
    Part of the problem is that the network keeps taking money away from their best shows, do less advertising for their shows and continue to put large amounts of money to new shows. So the older shows suffer, they get dull and viewers turn away. Smallville and Supernatural are their two most popular shows, yet each season the network cuts their budgets more and more - with Smallville becoming very stale due to the lack in ability for them to do the things they use to do, all over money. They hype new shows, waste money to get the word out, but then only maybe 1 of all the newer shows makes it. Causing even harder budget crunches and the entire network suffers.

They just keep digging themself deeper and deeper into a hole. One that if they don't get out of it soon the network will tank. Something that they have been hinting at over the the last few months.

PLUS, they keep focusing on newer TEEN dramas, that have no story except who slept with who each week. And bringing a sequel on for a show that has been done for years, with a large cast and several of the old stars with big pay brackets. They don'e even know if the show will make it but they are putting the network at risk to fund it.

tribalchic

[8]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 17

kdtfiles wrote:
    PLUS, they keep focusing on newer TEEN dramas, that have no story except who slept with who each week. And bringing a sequel on for a show that has been done for years, with a large cast and several of the old stars with big pay brackets. They don'e even know if the show will make it but they are putting the network at risk to fund it.

yeah, see thats the thing the network is refusing to grow up and mature content wise, that is somthing we started to see happening in the last few years of the WB when the network began to switch their focus off of teen drama's and onto classier shows (Pepper Dennis is a perfect example) but even they couldn't change in time before the network caved.Thats why I was really hoping that the CW could adopt Moonlight, even though its a supernatural-based series it is much more grown up than anything on the network right now and I hate to say it but Supernatural used to be quite a mature series but the network has since managed to de-mature that aswell making it lighter and more teeny-bopper angsty.

sharpguard

[9]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 12
    This thread belongs in the TV in General section.

HelloStuart

[10]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 63
    tribalchic wrote:

I would say younger; all but two or three of their shows appeal squarely towards 14-year-old girls. Maybe if they had something besides wrestling and teen angst dramas, we'll talk.

xboxliveguy

[11]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 10

HelloStuart wrote:
    tribalchic wrote:
    I would say younger; all but two or three of their shows appeal squarely towards 14-year-old girls. Maybe if they had something besides wrestling and teen angst dramas, we'll talk.

It because of wrestling I watch that idiotic channel. We all know why it failing, lame show like One Tree Hill and Gossip Girl and Beatuy of the Geeks and Pusscat and Top model That like the whole network. It simple who ever running that channel is trying to turn boys into girl. (expect HelloStuart Real Men watch wrestling but he rather take the girl show for this?)

Ashs911

[12]Jul 31, 2008
    It definatly needs a change in how it's run, maybe even a new President of the network.

HelloStuart

[13]Jul 31, 2008
    xboxliveguy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    tribalchic wrote:

It because of wrestling I watch that idiotic channel. We all know why it failing, lame show like One Tree Hill and Gossip Girl and Beatuy of the Geeks and Pusscat and Top model That like the whole network. It simple who ever running that channel is trying to turn boys into girl. (expect HelloStuart Real Men watch wrestling but he rather take the girl show for this?)

Your comment didn't make any sense.

xboxliveguy

[14]Jul 31, 2008

Ashs911 wrote:
    It definatly needs a change in how it's run, maybe even a new President of the network.

yes. currently the president is a 50 year old woman i think

xboxliveguy

[15]Jul 31, 2008
    HelloStuart wrote:
    xboxliveguy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    tribalchic wrote:

nor did your first post

RTTV989

[16]Jul 31, 2008
    • level: 21
    The CW isn't as big as the other four networks because the big four do more advertising and they have a history of putting on good shows along with sports, which is a good time to advertise new shows.

HelloStuart

[17]Jul 31, 2008
    xboxliveguy wrote:
    HelloStuart wrote:
    xboxliveguy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    tribalchic wrote:

nor did your first post

What do you mean? I thought I was pretty clear in saying The CW is too specific in its demographic focus.

BlackCowDeath

[18]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 11
    xboxliveguy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    tribalchic wrote:

Yes real mean watch other men grab and rub on eachother in spandex

Bollux

[19]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 4
    LOL

xboxliveguy

[20]Aug 1, 2008
    BlackCowDeath wrote:
    xboxliveguy wrote:

HelloStuart wrote:
    tribalchic wrote:

Yes real mean watch other men grab and rub on eachother in spandex

that or girly teenage drama now tell would you watch that or wrestling wrestling> stupid teenage drama