Forums: Shows in Development: Why is the CW failing?

insomniac360

[21]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 21
    tvaddict_10 wrote:
    I think the CW is a great channel, maybe not the best but I really don't understand why ratings are so low. Maybe it gets overshadowed by the other Big Four networks. The WB and UPN had low ratings as well but had some good shows. A lot of people are missing out.
    Well, the WB's ratings weren't as low as CW's. They did manage to get some good ratings when they were airing shows like Buffy, Angel, Charmed, Smallville, etc.

Wait, that might be why CW's not as successful. It doesn't have as many supernatural Whedonesque dramedies.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tiffanychen

[22]Aug 2, 2008
    • level: 3
    CW is so hot in China girls in my class use to wait for Gossip Girl every week now we all can't wait to see the new season

CWHunter

[23]Aug 2, 2008
    • level: 10
    Well every network's ratings were higher back then. The WB never got great ratings outside of the 12-24 demo.

Also Buffy and Angel were not hits for the network despite all the critical acclaim.

insomniac360 wrote:
    Well, the WB's ratings weren't as low as CW's. They did manage to get some good ratings when they were airing shows like Buffy, Angel, Charmed, Smallville, etc.

Wait, that might be why CW's not as successful. It doesn't have as many supernatural Whedonesque dramedies.

tribalchic

[24]Aug 4, 2008
    • level: 17
    CWHunter wrote:
    Well every network's ratings were higher back then. The WB never got great ratings outside of the 12-24 demo. Also Buffy and Angel were not hits for the network despite all the critical acclaim.
    insomniac360 wrote:

actually Buffy got very steady ratings and helped alongside Dawson's creek to put the WB on the map.

Jackson_Holtorp

[25]Aug 6, 2008
    • level: 32

As mentioned already, The CW is an idiot network that doesn't put proper funding into their verteran shows such as Smallville and Supernatural which are keeping the network alive.

Dawn Ostroff (president of The CW) seriously needs to be fired. Have the Vice President (former WB President) handle her job.

Ashs911

[26]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 13
    I could do a better job than the current president and I'm 15, that's how bad a job she's doing. Fire her

DeAzrael

[27]Aug 29, 2008
    • level: 5
    I liked Reaper. Well ok - so we all agree, that they maybe should move to a more mature age-bracket... maybe just a bit. Like the mid twenties or something?

tvownsLEXIE

[28]Sep 12, 2008
    • level: 21
    Supernatural is an amazing show that even my mom is addicted to watching every week, and I know a lot of people who talk about Gossip Girl daily. IMO, the CW isn't doing as well because it isn't advertised on other channels like ABC NBC and Bravo which all seem to be owned by the same people and/or company in some way or another. The CW isn't connected in that circle, adn I think that hurts the network.

Kosmo2373

[29]Sep 21, 2008

Dear Anonymous,

For a long while I thought the CW and it's predecessors were good networks,but then to hear those networks were suffering from viewer ratings surprised me.They've had alot of good & memorable shows.Then I read your comment,if this is true they are really stupid.It now makes sense,ergh how did I not see this.Looking back I did notice the dullness of Smallville.For a while I tuned out Smallville,only recently did I return,2 seasons ago.Clark has only written 2 articles in the entire series,1 being @ the Torch @ the High School.He hasn't shown any interest in Journalism or Louise,only in the last Season,are they serious.Anyways back to the story.Sometimes not even that.Some good shows get canceled without notice or reason.Like Off Centre(heard it was b/c of all the obscene language/sexual reference),Everwood,Popular (would of like to know what happened to Brooke),Aliens in America,Buffy(why did it move to UPN?),Roswell & finally Veronica Mars.It had a loyal following & still managed to get pulled out.So many petitions & even ppl buying all the MARS bars,that's dedication you won't find in any other tv series.Sometimes I don't understand what goes in their minds.It's like their stupidly destroying a network with so much potential.It makes me mad.Anyways,Paul standing bye!!!

WolfgalX

[30]Sep 22, 2008
    • level: 22
    The reason (my opinion of course) that they get low ratings is because they are aimed at a very small age bracket (as most of the other posters have said) that has many other ways to watch TV then actually on the screen. I know plenty of people at my school watch that show, but I heard from a couple of people they prefer to watch it on online. Heck, I'm even online right now while watching the Heroes premiere. Ratings don't show all, of course, but the CW network definitely needs to get a more mature show to attract viewers.

JustinRAn

[31]Dec 29, 2010
    • level: 12
    Wanna Know Why the CW Is Failing?

Let's See What They've Added to the Network (That's Still Airing)
    - Gossip Girl
    - Vampire Diaries
    - Hellcats
    - Nikita

Let's See What They've Removed from the Network
    - Everybody Hates Chris
    - Girlfriends
    - 7th Heaven
    - Reba
    - Gilmore Girls
    - Veronica Mars

Any Questions?

TheBam711

[32]Jan 12, 2011
    • level: 9

I like Life Unexpected and Hellcats but those are the only things I've ever watched on The CW. I'm guessing they don't have as much of a good history as ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and all those other stations which have had a lot of good and well-known shows (which mostly have action or comedy.)

charles_ez

[33]Apr 3, 2011
    • level: 1

WolfgalX wrote:
    The reason (my opinion of course) that they get low ratings is because they are aimed at a very small age bracket (as most of the other posters have said) that has many other ways to watch TV then actually on the screen. I know plenty of people at my school watch that show, but I heard from a couple of people they prefer to watch it on online. Heck, I'm even online right now while watching the Heroes premiere. Ratings don't show all, of course, but the CW network definitely needs to get a more mature show to attract viewers.

That's more than likely the answer right there, along with mismanaging budget allocations (too much for new shows, not enough for the older more established ones)

elias_jacobson

[34]Aug 9, 2011
    I think only Supernatural is saving CW's day. But I have no explanation why so many people are glued to this show. In my opinion Nikita is much better show despite the ratings.

JustinRAn

[35]Nov 3, 2011
    • level: 12
    Here's Hoping What the CW Schedule is for 2012/2013

Monday
    7:00- Gossip Girl (Final Season)
    8:00- Secret Circle

Tuesday
    7:00- Ringer
    8:00- 90210

Wednesday
    7:00- America's Next Top Model/ Various Other Programming During Off-Time
    8:00- Nikita

Thursday
    7:00- Vampire Diaries
    8:00- Secret Circle

Friday
    7:00- Multi-Camera Sitcom
    7:30- Single-Camera Sitcom
    8:00- Supernatural (Final Season)

mrjimmyjames

[36]Apr 4, 2012
    • level: 7

Where to begin? It's all about the target demo. The audience they target is microscopic. The WB's well known strategy of targeting a young demo was much more broad; most of their shows were targeted not only to teens but also twentysomethings and thirtysomethings. Many of their shows were family oriented and could be watched by the whole family. Most of the shows on the CW are completely hard to watch if you are above 20 or a male. That's probably why the ratings are so much lower than The WB. The under 20 female audience simply does not watch this channel; they seem to be much more willing to watch ABC family or MTV. Anything that might be more male-oriented is usually ignored, for instance Smallville and Supernatural have been ignored for years despite pulling some of the best ratings on the network. Dawn Ostroff is now finally gone (thank god) but for years she has trumpeted shows like Gossip Girl,90210, and similar shows which never have done well in the ratings. Gossip Girl may get talked about a lot but it has never done well in the ratings. The only successful thing Ostroff has done while president is greenlight The Vampire Diaries; that actually was a good move because it crosses over into other demos and is not just watched by teenage girls. The new president, Mark Pedowitz, is hopefully going to at least move in a new direction. I've heard a lot of buzz that they are going to add more mature shows and shake up the network a little bit. When he was hired last year to replace Ostroff, he mentioned that he would like to put some comedies back on the network; this really impressed me to hear.

My big question is if supposedly the WB and UPN could not get as high of ratings as the big four because they constantly kept each other out of markets (canceling each other out), then why after merging does the result not at least bring in better ratings? I just don't get this; I'm pretty sure that as a result nearly every market has The CW and I don't believe MyNet ever prevented The CW from getting an affiliate. The CW should be getting nearly the same ratings as the big four.

No1Slayerette

[37]Jun 7, 2012
    • level: 9

It's interesting to see that this topic was started back in 2008, and that The CW doesn't seem at all to be in a better position than it was back then, but then again, it hasn't crashed and burned either.

Before I add my opinion, I thought I should say that I'm 21 years old, and male. While I live in Australia, if I lived in America, I've no doubt The CW would be the channel I watched the most. I watch Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries and Nikita, and until they were cancelled I watched The Secret Circle and Ringer, too. Hell, if I lived in America and watched The CW enough they could probably even convince to me watch shows like The L.A. Complex, and I would have checked out Melrose Place too (it's yet to see the light of day here).

Anyway, enough about my bad taste in television. I would say the demographic is the major problem, as many others have said. According to Wikipedia it's '18-35 year olds'. It doesn't specify gender, but women are the obvious answer. So how to get young women to watch The CW? Well they've got the programming down pat. Personally, I think the problem is that young people just don't watch as much TV as they used to, and if they do, they're on their computer while watching the television, or god forbid, watching television on the computer. So the idea would be more online interactive content. Facebook, Twitter, games, competitions etc. Honestly I don't really know because I'm old fashioned andI'm scared of computers and change, so anyone else have any ideas?

A lot of people have said that that The CW doesn't promote its older and more established shows in comparison to its advertising and support for its newer ones. As I don't live in America, I can't comment, but even if they do this, it wouldn't really surprise me. As they are focused on such a young demographic if a show ends up going for longer than three years, chances are, viewers that were interested in the show at the beginning of the series may have grown-up and moved on, lost interest, or just no longer find the time for television. This is why I could understand The CW being hesitant in promoting its older shows. Why advertise a show past its prime that's constantly losing viewers (or at least it is in their eyes) when you can heavily advertise a new show that will encapsulate the hearts of new young television viewers? In this scenario, as much as it pains me, I understand why they might have cancelled shows like Veronica Mars.

In the discussion of content, someone mentioned that one of the reasons The WB and UPN didn't work was because they were vying for the same audience and therefore cancelled each other out of the competition. While in theory merging the two networks into The CW solves that problem, in today's TV market The CW is most definitely not the only channel of its kind. ABC Family has shows like The Secret Life of The American Teenager, Pretty Little Liars & The Lying Game, all of which I could see on The CW (as well as previous shows like 10 Things I Hate About You, Greek, Kyle XY & The Nine Lives of Chloe King). And at the moment MTV seem to have started to fast develop a similar sort of demographic with shows like Teen Wolf and Awkward (previously The Hard Time of RJ Berger).

As others have suggested, maybe they could take a leaf out of MTV's book, and produce more mature or possibly even risqué, programming content if it would get them more viewers. Nikita and Supernatural would have to be the two shows currently on the networkthat couldbreak into other demographics, and Ringer could be seen as off brand too, but The CW hasn't tried all that hard to branch out as yet. Possibly there safest bet to do this would be to have shows that mothers and daughters could watch together, in the vein of Gilmore Girls, in an attempt to spread their age bracket a bit higher (just forget trying to get males in at this stage, they've got enough problems as is). Unfortunately I can't see any of The CW's fall or mid-season shows making more mature aged content, although Cult looks very promising.

Another suggestion would be to bring back comedies! I couldn't believe from reading through these comments and finding out of Wikipedia that Dawn Ostroff 'publicly declared the difficulty of doing comedies for their target demographic'. What??? Everyone loves a comedy. Yes, a lot of sitcoms nowadays are hit and miss, but I could see something like What I Like About You (an old example, I know) doing really well on the network. Plus, sitcoms are something families can watch.

I was interested to see that The Bill Cunningham Show is going to The CW. While I have never seen or heard of the show before I think this is a very good move if The CW do it right. The network needs something, not necessarily national news or sports programming, but something else that's factual/ informative/ topical that their younger viewers can enjoy, while gaining older viewers, as this is the sort of stuff everyone can watch (and does). I was going to suggest a couple of shows, or variances of, that we have here in Australia that might work. There's one called The Project which is basically a news/ current affairs program, but it's hosted by a panel of comedians/ journalists and they often have celebrity guests. They present a really laid-back approach to the news that's easily accessible to all ages. There's also shows like The Gruen Transfer and Hungry Beast (which analyses commercials/ media and its effects on audiences) and The Chaser's War on Everything (which is a satire of news and politics. Much like Stephen Colbert I'd imagine). It looks like with Bill Cunningham The CW are testing the waters, so I hope it works out for them, otherwise they could try and go for something less serious in a talk show like Rove or Chelsea Lately.

Also, why does The CW not have programming on Sunday's? This seems like a majorly wasted opportunity. I'm not exactly sure how it works over there, but do they have any programming at all on Sundays? Or just nothing original? And if they have nothing original on, well why the hell not???

mrjimmyjames

[38]Jun 10, 2012
    • level: 7

No1Slayerette wrote:
    I would say the demographic is the major problem, as many others have said. According to Wikipedia it's '18-35 year olds'. It doesn't specify gender, but women are the obvious answer. So how to get young women to watch The CW? Well they've got the programming down pat. Personally, I think the problem is that young people just don't watch as much TV as they used to, and if they do, they're on their computer while watching the television, or god forbid, watching television on the computer.

I would say the problem is right there, that the target has been women. Women have shown consistently that they don't watch the channel. Ostroff spent years trying to market to a gender that doesn't want to watch the channel; they'd much rather watch ABC Family and MTV. As much as Gossip Girl is talked about it is never watched by anyone. Not only that but the age demographic is far too young, they say they're trying to go after people under 35,40, but their shows tend to target no one above 18. Now that Ostroff is gone, the channel seems to be programming smarter and acknowledging people over 18 and yes, men. Just look at their attempt topush "Arrow", an attempt to bring back the audience that watched Smallville (and for years was ignored by Ostroff). Before being moved to Friday, Smallville could attract a strong audience that crossed all demographics and yes was partly marketed to men, just like Supernatural. And now Supernatural and Arrow are being pushed to the front (on a Wednesday!) of the network in an attempt to recreate the magic of the WB. Good move! And i'd love to see them try a comedy or two; the new network pres has talked about it and just imagine if they decided to try something risky like you would see on FX or AMC.

Steptron

[39]May 27, 2013
    • level: 1
    I totally agree Ashs, I too am from the UK and only wish we had channels half as good over here as the CW and others from the USA, the only problem with watching shows from those channels is by the time we get to here about them or they get shown over here someone somewhere has already decided to cancel them as the ratings from 1 demographic wasn't high enough, forget about all those that have yet to see the shows. But apart from that I do agree with such shows as Supernatural you would think the CW would rank a lot higher.