10 Things I Hate About You

Pilot

Aired Monday 8:00 PM Jul 07, 2009 on ABC Family

• A entertaining remake of the iconic film!

Eventually they had to start remaking, or redoing if you will, some films from my teenage or childhood years and they really picked a good one.

I thought at first this was going to really stink. The fact that the original was just that amazing, it couldn't live up to it, but upon watching the pilot, it seemed entertaining enough and the relationships where interesting enough to make me watch on.

I like both actresses that where picked to play the sisters, plus Patrick. Yum!

Although not brilliant, it is entertaining and the pilot leaves you wanting more! I just fear that there is only so much of this series and then they run out of storyline!
  • Entertaining.

The Pilot episode really grabbed me in and got me excited for the next episode, and that's a Pilot's purpose, so I congratulate this show on that. I had a problem that I'm sure many fans had. This show really should just be a show on it's own, not a spin off of a beloved 90s movie, that everyone is going to compare too. Which is impossible, when it comes to feature flicks against a sitcom. I'm pretty sure ratings would be better if this wasn't a spin off. All characters are introduced. Kat finds herself meeting Mandella and Patrick Verona. Bianca meets Cameron, Joey, and Chastity. I like the sister dynamic, how Kat helped Bianca in the end, no matter how annoying she can be. She got mascot, I'm excited to see what happens as the series unravels.
  • Series Premiere

This is the pilot episode of this new ABC Family comedy based on the 1989 film of the same name, "10 Things I Hate About You" I have never seen the movie before, so I have nothing to compare this show to. Let me start out by saying this show has great writing and great actors. The lead actress Lindsey Shaw (Ned's Declassified, Aliens in America) who plays Kat was the best actor on the show. She is great and this is going to be her breakout role, I know it. The girl who plays Bianca is definitely a good actress too. The girl who plays Chastity wasn't bad, she was good. It will take more episodes to know if their performances will be really great though. When we first met Cameron and Michael, I could tell that Michael was going to be the annoying character in the series, every series has one, but again more episodes will be needed and character development for sure. All I can say is that I really enjoyed this pilot episode and this show is going to be a big hit. It definitely has everything a great show needs. Can't wait for more episodes and more seasons!
  • remake or not, this show sucks

even though this show is a blantant remake of the movie of same name, with the same creator and even the same actor as the father, lets just pretend that the movie never happened. lets not hamper the actors with witty comments like "well he's no Heath Ledger" blah blah

doesn't matter. this show blows. big time. the characters are thin and dull. Cameron is a total wuss, Michael is just too over the top in the idiot sidekick realm. Chastity is ridiculous and Joey couldn't be more dumb blonde if he was a girl. And the leads. give me a break. they are 10 times worse. there's NOTHING to make any of them appealing. the only halfway decent part of the whole episode was that Kat figured out that the way to bribe Chastity was to pull the yearbook on her. how original. think I"ve seen that in about a dozen shows.
  • For the original movie fans who are disgruntled by this remake remember that imitation is the best form of flattery.

Well it couldn't have been an easy job to step into the shoes of actors such as Julia Stiles or Heath Ledger or any of the other amazing teenaged actors in the original 10 Things I Hate About You and the actors in the new soon-to-be-hit-show, showed us just how hard a task it was. As far as the acting goes as long as squint and don't remember just how exceptional the movie was it won't be that bad. The writing needs work but it honestly wasn't that bad and I'm sure it will only improve given time. The most abhor able change however is the change from the brunette heartbreaking Joey to the blond quarterback; girls everywhere are rioting in revolt. I give this remake 2 ¾ stars out of five.
  • A remake of the 1999 movie that turned Heath Ledger into a star.

I totally enjoyed the pilot. It had a few very good lines. Yes it was full of cliche american high school situations but if you accept it as it is you can enjoy it. This is a very good summer series and has potential to become great. The girl that plays Kat is amazing. Totally believable. I also liked Cameron. He was so sweet. And his friend character has potential. And the guy that plays Heath's role spoke only two lines so i can't tell yet if he's good. He has a very good voice though.... Let's see how this unfolds...
  • Not very good, but there could be some potential here.

3.3
    10 Things I Hate About You was a mildly humorous movie but could the concept that was outdated upon its release a decade ago revitalize today's youth the way it did then?

Maybe. A solemn maybe. I am not about to write the show off yet as it does feature sitcom veteran Lindsey Shaw (Aliens in America, Ned's Declassified) who does have the ability to play an engaging female and even top Julia Stiles' performance in the original feature film. Did she do that tonight? Not remotely, but if they cut out all the pop culture references, there is a solid character here.

Larry Miller, who played the father in the flick, and the doorman in a Seinfeld episode, could end up being an entertaining character as well, but he's far from a Red Forman or Peter Griffin or any other funny comedy dad.

I think that this show could end up being halfway decent if they can manage to separate it from the rest of the ABC Family programs. It was noticabley better written than The Secret Life of The American Teenager, but the acting or entertainment factor isn't there yet. Time will tell if it can reach that point, but right now it is just another teen stereotypical high-school show.