101 Dalmatians: The Series

A Christmas Cruella

Aired Saturday 9:30 AM Dec 20, 1997 on ABC

7.7
  • Best Disney TV series ever!...Worst Christmas special ever!

0.0
    Okay, let's get a grip here. I am a huge fan of 101 Dalmatians, but mostly the TV series. I was hoping there will be a memorable Christmas Special to this series. When I saw the Christmas special, I was totally ticked off. It's basically just a parody on "A Christmas Carol".

When Cruella comes home from work on Christmas Eve, she gets a greeting from the ghosts of Horace and Jasper (who were apparantley still alive just a couple hours earlier) accompanied by heavy chains and stuff. That's when I knew right away that this was going to be a parody on "A Christmas Carol". I don't mind the cultural reference, but come on, even I can see this coming! Every episode of 101 Dalmatians brings an exciting, fresh and original idea, but this episode lacks originality making it a very predictable episode.

I wasn't too surprised to find that the main pups played the roles of the Ghosts of Christmas. I must admit, Cadpig was a very appropriate character to portray the Ghost of Christmas Past, and who else besides Rolly can be the Ghost of Christmas Present? Spot, I'm not too sure about. While she is the one of the main four who seems to have the most common sense, she's too much of a comic relief to provide enough serious matter into such events.

Lucky didn't have any lines in this episode, and he was supposedly playing the role of Tiny Tim due to his crutch. I thought it was kind of disturbing at the end when Cruella gave everyone office supplies as Christmas presents. However, I did find the very end to be very memorable when Cruella hugs Wizzer and gets herself wet! Still, this is overall one of the worst episodes of the series. If the plot was just a little more original, then I would have considered it to be one of the best or at least appreciated it a little more.

"So, what did you do today, son?" "Oh, you know...let a mad man make a cute little TV series and torment the resting soul of Charles Dickens."