101 Dalmatians: The Series

Four Stories Up

Aired Weekdays 5:30 AM Sep 11, 1997 on Toon Disney

7.4
  • "Four Stories Up" is an excellent episode of "101 Dalmatians" and also, in my opinion, one of the best. This episode has a great way of showing the personalities of the main pups.

"Four Stories Up" is an excellent episode of "101 Dalmatians" and also, in my opinion, one of the best. For someone new to watching this series, this is a good episode to watch as one of your first. This episode has a great way of showing the personalities of the main pups.

In this episode, the dalmatians are watching a new episode of "Thunderbolt", then suddenly, Cruella De Vil interupts the show with a telethon made for the stuff that she cares about. The pups try putting something else on, but no such luck because she was on every channel. Pongo and Perdy told the pups to find a way to entertain themselves for the time being, so Lucky decides to come up with his own ending to the Tunderbolt episode.

Lucky inserted himself into the show playing the role of Baypup. He surfs out to save Thunderbolt and help him retrieve the golden bone, and somehow, Spot was in there too who ends up getting eaten by a shark. Lucky's story was really cool, and it shows a good indication that Lucky's the type of character who craves action and adventure.

Not thinking Lucky's story was very good, Rolly decided to narrate his version of the story. He put himself into the show as himself being the captain of a rich cruise ship. He has Spot as a servant and makes her save Thunderbolt. Rolly's story was okay, but it definately showed that Rolly has sort of a twisted mind, and he didn't really get a lot out of it. It also revealed that Rolly is a very lazy character who doesn't like to work up a sweat.

Cadpig then comes in with her version of the story. Out of nowhere, this heart-shaped spacecraft known as Veris 5 picks up Thunderbolt, Cruella, and Spot (who gets capsized and alienized). They meet an alien named Gipdac (Gee, I wonder where that name came from?) who teaches them about peace, interplanetary harmonies and stellar convergence. This story shows that Cadpig is a peace-loving character who wishes to be a yoga instructor. I often don't like to choose the most popular as my personal favorite, but I'll go ahead on this one and say that Cadpig's story was my favorite of the four.

After having to hear what happened to her in the other three stories, Spot decides to get revenge on the pups by telling her story. In Spot's story, she plays the role of Cluckzilla. She gets in contact with the other three pups one by one and takes them all out. Not much of a story as it didn't really tell what happened to Thunderbolt, but it was a nice way to get revenge. This story shows that Spot is the type who has special preferences in her life and would want to get revenge on the stuff she hates about her life.

Rolly decides to turn on the Cruellathon after everyone did their stories, but then Cruella announced that they were going off the air since nobody called to contribute anything, and Thunderbolt came back on. The real ending turned out to be a completely stupid ending. Talk about a failure of imagination, even though we didn't really get to see what really happened. But still, "Four Stories Up" is overall, an excellent episode. I say it's a strong reccomendation for every archive tape made for this series (but you can delete the Cruellathon scenes if you want; they're not much to see).