101 Dalmatians: The Series

He Followed Me Home / Love 'Em and Flea 'Em

Aired Weekdays 5:30 AM Sep 27, 1997 on Toon Disney

6.9
  • Go Two-Tone!

'He Followed Me Home' is just okay, but the 9.5 score I give is mainly due to the wonderful 'Love 'Em and Flea 'Em' episode; it is a personal favorite episode in my opinion and highly entertaining. I tend to love episodes that are funny and dramatic at the same time; it does much more for me than a straight silly episode or one that is too serious. Disney would need to look back at movies like Aladdin and The Lion King (and of course, 101 Dalmatians) to get the idea. In addition, it is the episode where Two-Tone gets a major role and I believe that she has a lot of potential as a character. 'Love 'Em and Flea 'Em' is what I consider to be the main part of these two episodes and seriously worth watching.

'He Followed Me Home'--A baby elephant gets lost on his way to the circus and is taken in by the Main Pups (following Rolly and his bag of peanuts), but must hide him when Cruella tells Roger, on the arrival of his Aquarium Pets, that a 102nd pet violates his deed contract.

I liked this episode, but it wasn't especially deep. The elephant had some good moments and didn't seem excessive. Some funny parts appear, namely when the elephant proved to be an even bigger glutton than Rolly. It sucked up huge bales of hay and even Rolly's life-saving food stash (leaving poor Rolly feeling bitter). Cruella had some good parts too, I got a good laugh out of seeing her try to find the elephant and find Roger in the shower (it was nothing suggestive).

However, there just didn't appear to be anything special about this episode; it was funny and cute, but it didn't appear to add anything to the characters. Lots of other kids' animated programs have an episode with a similar story, so it seemed a little ordinary. The plot to this episode could have been questioned; do only the Dalmatians count, and the farm animals don't? I know they wouldn't consider farm animals as 'pets', but was worth mentioning.

The background music also felt inappropriate at times, I had no idea why they chose to play an instrumental 'Rock-A-Bye Baby' when Spot was talking about disguising the elephant as a refridgerator.

Overall, I would say 'He Followed Me Home' is at worst, mediocre, but at best, good. I think of it as a 'filler' episode, one to leave you with low expectations...until, that is, when you see the next upcoming episode.

'Love 'Em and Flea 'Em'--With the 'Four Legged Fall Ball' approaching, Two-Tone considers leaving Mooch in favor of Lucky after he tells her off.

While it aired fairly early, I like to think this episode is supposed to be later due to the fact Two-Tone leaves Mooch's gang after this episode.

This is a particularly memorable episode due to the fact it is an episode about Two-Tone. She's a terrific character, with an evident personality and I like her color set-up: white on one end, black on the other (an odd colored pup, much like Beethoven's puppy Tchaikovsky on Beethoven's 2nd). If Disney chose to pick this show up again, I wouldn't mind seeing more of her.

We also got to see more of Mooch, Wizzer and Dipstick; while I am a little indifferent to the latter two, something about Mooch I like. Maybe it's Danny Cooksey, his voice actor. He reminds me somewhat of Tiny Toon Adventures' Montana Max.

The message of this episode was 'Like someone for themselves, not their looks', which I am happy to say, wasn't hammered into my head. Then again, Mooch isn't the most charming (or good-looking for that matter, though it's established that Two-Tone was consistantly Mooch's partner for dances and the like) of pups; Two-Tone left him for Lucky, despite the fact Mooch purposely dyed him pink (pink food coloring in a flea bath, no thanks to him); this means while she seems to be cast as a 'boy crazy' type of gal, Two-Tone is a deep character.

While I think that it would have been nice if Rolly, Cadpig and Spot had larger roles in this ep (I don't mind Lucky/Cadpig), maybe establish who they would be dancing with (we can guess they would have gone too), I guess this episode is meant for Two-Tone and it's a nice one, regardless. Two-Tone got a great opening sequence with Cadpig, especially the different 'outfits' Two-Tone was getting into. I'll say right now: I adored seeing Cadpig wearing the Gidget 'cat-eye' glasses (it's adorable!)

And yes, I would highly recommend these episodes. 'He Followed Me Home' is love it or leave it, but 'Love 'Em and Flea 'Em' is a must-see. No question; it is the stronger episode. If you watch it after 'The Making Of...' it is a nothing less than brilliant. 'Love 'Em and Flea 'Em' is definitely in my top favorites.

"I came here to say to you that I have nothing to say to you. If I did have something to say to you, I'd say it to Lucky. My date for the dance."
    --I like you girl. You got moxie, 'Love 'Em and Flea 'Em'