101 Dalmatians: The Series

Poison Ivy / Twelve Angry Pups

Aired Weekdays 5:30 AM Nov 14, 1997 on Toon Disney

• Ivy DeVil and Mooch? Better watch out!

7.1
    These episodes are worth watching, even though they, I feel, aren\'t the series\' absolute best.

\'Poison Ivy\'--When Roger and Anita are stuck babysitting Cruella\'s innocent (looking) niece Ivy, she is in truth responsible for the pups\' supposed mischief.

We start with Ivy\'s little hum...get used to it, she will be repeating it throughout the episode.

I will start by saying it is good to see that the writers have the pups in character, Lucky and Rolly in particular have the most memorable bits. Rolly, typically thinking with his stomach, is characterized well as he is shown falling for Ivy\'s red hot puppy treat. Lucky is also in character for his \'never say die\' attitude in this ep; unfortunately, Cadpig isn\'t given much to work with and I felt that hurt the episode in terms of overall quality.

Now for the new kid on the block; Ivy DeVil is an okay character, I liked that she didn\'t turn out to be an Elmyra knock off (the pet crazy Elmyra on \'Tiny Toon Adventures\', brrr!), but she was a bit unrealistic. A young girl like that having advanced tech smarts is stretching reality a little (much like how on Men In Black, Agent Jay shot a little girl dummy for holding an \"Advanced Physics\" book).

I hated seeing the pups acting as Ivy\'s scapegoat, but Spot inadvertently saving them all was a welcome relief. Cruella\'s \'Ferocious Fun Pups\' were behind a terror in Grutely and Cruella\'s newest scam was foiled.

As it stands, it\'s a middle of the pack episode. Not the best, not the worst. It\'s just passable.

\'Twelve Angry Pups\'--When Mooch is blamed for a series of thefts around the farm, Mayor Ed Pig appoints Lucky to be his lawyer.

So Pug has the pups up at dawn...typical Pug.

Again, good characterization, the pups are all in character and we learn that they all love TV. Cadpig, Dipstick and Two-Tone all seemed to be handled in a great fashion. The trial was fun to watch and it was entertaining for what they could do with it.

Mooch is also in character, it is essentially an episode devoted to him and found it worthwhile. Lucky being appointed his lawyer must have been hard for him; it\'s not easy to defend your nemesis.

The only thing that threw me for a loop was the shot of Mooch riding a horse; that was just too \'human\' for me.

Scorch was also there...just to be a red herring.

While I don\'t think that either episode is notable for being outstanding, they are enjoyable for what they are and I guess that means something. I thought Twelve Angry Pups was ultimately stronger than Poison Ivy, but neither ranks among my favorite episodes in this series. They are both just passable; ranking somewhere \'in the middle\'.

\'Someone took my daily affirmation calender! What will I do? How will I center? How will I...focus my rage so I can rip the lips off the thieving jerk?\'
    --Someone\'s definitely in trouble, \'Twelve Angry Pups\'