101 Dalmatians: The Series

Rolly's Egg-Celent Adventure / Wild Chick Chase

Aired Weekdays 5:30 AM Nov 15, 1997 on Toon Disney

5.4
  • Aren't these eps basically the same thing?

6.2
    Strange...why would Disney pair these two episodes--both are about the Main Pups babysitting chicks--together? They are identical in terms of plot. The only real differences are the number of chicks and character focus. They both even use the same 'Rock-a-Bye Baby' instrumental opening!

'Rolly's Egg-Celent Adventure'--Rolly agrees to help Spot watch Cornelia's eggs while Spot is out; he needs to protect them with Scorch on the prowl.

Okay, Spot is out for most of the ep. This is fine, in my view. While I think Rolly is the least interesting of the main four, it still stands as a halfway decent Rolly episode.

There is some good lines, especially some coming from Lucky and Cadpig, who start by heckling Rolly about his new responsibility. Which I felt was in character; Rolly seems like the type who would avoid responsibility at any chance he would get. I thought the bit part about Rolly trying to keep the chicks from hatching was funny. The repeated bit about Scorch getting flattened by the door was less amusing.

The chicks are cute, and they ultimately become the heroes after the main three are captured. The ending to this episode was good for a laugh as well.

Just a decent episode, in my view. It's very pedestrian, but a decent pedestrian episode.

'Wild Chick Chase'--Spot is stuck babysitting Peeps while Lucky, Rolly and Cadpig try to talk her into swimming at Hiccup Hole.

So Spot is left to babysit another chicken's chick--man, Cornelia is one demanding mother.

As I said before, Rolly is the least interesting of the Main Pups, but Spot is truthfully the least relevant (the show's called '101 Dalmatians' without mention of a chicken for a reason). Spot is somewhat interesting, what with having the most common sense and voice of reason, but she doesn't work so well as the main focus; Spot is not really a stand-alone character. She works best as a support character, playing off the others. That would leave Lucky and Cadpig as the strongest focuses of the four.

Peeps is cute, but I think she is best left as a one-shot character. A baby that doesn't speak doesn't give much room for character development (just ask Maggie Simpson).

This episode was setup to be like a standard old-school cartoon (think like the old 'Popeye babysitting Swee' Pea' cartoons), but it lead to a few problems, in terms of continuity. For one, there is a major metropolitian highway apparently not too far away from Hiccup Hole. Where did that come from? And the waterfall...who put that there? I always thought Hiccup Hole was something like a pond. Abandoning continuity in favor of just one eleven minute episode? Not a great idea.

The message in this episode was 'Be responsible'.

In conclusion, I can say that neither 'Rolly's Egg-Celent Adventure' nor 'Wild Chick Chase' is great in particular; they are just decent episodes, ranking somewhere 'in the middle'. To start, it was odd to have two episodes that are very similar to each other back-to-back. I liked 'Rolly's Egg-Celent Adventure' better than 'Wild Chick Chase', and they are enjoyable, but I would have seperated these two and have them play with other episodes, because...well, you get the idea.

'It just goes to show ya, an old dog can teach new chicks!'
    --Great, but what about this deja vu feeling?, 'Rolly's Egg-Celent Adventure'