101 Dalmatians: The Series

Rolly's Egg-Celent Adventure / Wild Chick Chase

Aired Saturday 9:30 AM Nov 15, 1997 on ABC

5.4
  • These were both pretty good episodes of the series, and I happen to have a lot of input on them, even though they both seem like the exact same episode.

7.6
    In "Rolly's Eggcellent Adventure", Spot wants one of the main pups to babysit her Mom's eggs while she's out. Lucky and Cadpig made up lame excuses to not do it, but Rolly actually volunteered to do so. While the episode did seem kind of thin, it had some strong points. For one thing, I really enjoyed the Beatles reference (Rolly's "get back" line). I also liked the running gag where Scorch is about to eat Cornelia's eggs but gets bashed unexpectedly. Rolly trains the chicks to act like dogs, and they turn out to be the heroes of this episode. Rolly does indeed make a great teacher for the least interesting of the main pups (while my least favorite is still Spot). Lucky and Cadpig also had a lot of memorable lines in this episode as well.

Now "Wild Chick Chase" seems to be pretty much the same as "Rolly's Eggcellent Adventure", since it also involves chick-sitting. Spot has to babysit Peeps while also trying to enjoy a swim with her best buddies. While Peeps is kind of cute, she is a tricky chick! When nobody's looking, she gulps down her milk bottle, and boom! She's gone! It's kind of strange that a highway just appeared out of nowhere near Hiccup Hole. This is an old cartoon joke we've all seen a lot where a character gets itself in danger by crossing a busy street but doesn't get hurt. Also, for some unknown reason, there is suddenly a waterfall attached to Hiccup Hole. Even Lucky noticed it was there all of a sudden! ("Who put a waterfall there?") That log ride looked pretty fun. I want to be a dalmatian puppy and live on Dearly Farm, so I can do that log ride every day! There was also a cultural reference in this episode that I enjoyed, which was the Frogger reference (the pups jumping across the logs trying to get away from the waterfall).

Overall, these were both reasonably strong episodes, and they've earned my recommendation. I personally liked "Rolly's Eggcellent Adventure" better, but "Wild Chick Chase" was good too. They're worth a watch, and I'm sure you won't regret it.

"What is a dog? What is a chicken? Does anyone ever really know?"
    -I never thought they'd mix until I met these four adorable animals! "Rolly's Eggcellent Adventure"