101 Dalmatians: The Series

Snow Bounders / Gnaw or Never

Aired Weekdays 5:30 AM Nov 11, 1997 on Toon Disney

• "Snow Bounders" and "Gnaw or Never" were both excellent episodes of 101 Dalmatians that I rather enjoyed.

In "Snow Bounders", Roger and Pongo are going camping on a snowy day for a little male bonding. Lucky, Cadpig, Rolly and Spot sneak along to prove that they can survive in the wild.

This, I find, is one of the most adventurous episodes of the series. There is also some strong character developments in this episode. For one thing, it gives Lucky a chance to show his ways of being a leader. Cadpig also shows that even though she is an unusually strong pup, she is still very light in weight (hence the fact that she would have been blown away by the wind if it weren't for her friends). Rolly and Spot are also in character as they've always been throughout the series.

This is also very entertaining for the sake of the characters in this episode. Lucky and Cadpig each get a lot of memorable lines in this episode. This is also a strong vehicle for Pongo, as it's one of the very few episodes where he played an important role. Horace and Jasper also give some good laughs in this episode; even though they are amongst the least interesting characters in the series, their stupidity really exceeds in this episode (such as when they didn't know where Cruella was when she screamed for them, and when they were distracted by the fireworks).

This is one of the very few episodes in the series where Cruella is actually nice to the pups. Though it was painful to see her force them to mush her to shelter, they got treatment by sharing her fire.

"Gnaw or Never" is kind of a strange episode, but it's still very good. We all know Rolly as a lovable character who is always hungry and very suave. However, in this episode, things change. After biting one of Cruella's shoes in an attempt to return it to her, he suddenly is constantly craving shoes.

Rolly is still in some ways the same character he has always been, but the obsession with shoes he developed caused him to not care about his home or his friends. It always hurts me to see the main pups get separated, and I prefer to watch episodes where Lucky, Cadpig and Rolly all do stuff together.

The ending, I felt, was a little awkward, when Scorch starting eating Cruella's shoes. I've always known plenty of dogs to do that, but not ferrets.

Overall, a strong pair of episodes in one small package. They've earned my recommendation. I'm sure you won't regret it once you've watched them.

"If anyone can scare off the Angel of Death, it's Cruella."
    -Eep! Hide me! "Snow Bounders"