101 Dalmatians: The Series

Swine Song / Watch for Falling Idols

Aired Weekdays 5:30 AM Oct 25, 1997 on Toon Disney

6.8
  • I would have loved to give this a higher score...

...unforunately, the vastly uneven quality between 'Swine Song' and 'Watch for Falling Idols' meant I could only rate it in the 7s.

'Swine Song'--Lucky, Cadpig and Spot try to help Rolly woo Dumpling when he thinks he's in love with her.

I can start by saying this episode ranks among the best in my opinion; it is a strong vehicle for Rolly and Cadpig in particular and while Lucky mostly plays support in this episode, he had a greater impact than I originally thought.

Cadpig's sniffling over a syrupy episode of her soap opera was funny and cute at the same time; Cadpig is so cute when she's crying. She has a little lovergirl side to her, believing love is written in the stars and strongly believes that it will happen to Rolly, while he does not believe in it.

Rolly is obviously a love amuteur; he is unsure of how to express himself and his 'crush' on Dumpling is set up quite well. We learn that he is hard of hearing; the finale where he tries to serenade Dumpling but only flubs Cadpig's lines was very funny, as was the birthday cake trick candles bit.

Speaking of which, this is one of the few episodes in which Dumpling actually gets a decent part. I did not mind her at all here; maybe it is because she is not completely 'in your face' is why she was tolerable.

The moral here is 'Be yourself'.

Spot had little impact in the plot, but I am willing to excuse it mainly because the main point is to bring about Rolly and Dumpling.

'Watch for Falling Idols'--Lucky is disillusioned when he discovers Thunderbolt is in truth a cowardly fraud.

Now for the weak link in this pair of episodes. I will start by saying this episode is not entirely original; I remember once seeing an episode of 'Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers' titled 'Flash the Wonder Dog' that had a very similar setup (Dale is disappointed in Flash the Wonder Dog, who was conveniently a German Shepard, once he learns his hero is coward); the main difference being the CDRR episode was full-length and this is an eleven minute episode.

There was so much in this episode that I didn't like:
    Cruella is not necessary for this episode.
    The director is dressed like an Aussie for no reason.
    The character development was virtually nil.
    No real laughs here.
    Cadpig, Rolly and Spot were non-factors; they might as well have not been there.

What might be the message of this episode--there is a difference between real life and TV--is what saves it from being a complete dud.

The plot in this episode was later recycled for '101 Dalmatians 2: Patch's London Adventure'.

In short, I can strongly recommend 'Swine Song', it is a nice eleven minute episode that is entertaining to watch. However, I suggest changing the channel before you get to 'Watch for Falling Idols'; it's not worth your time. In my view, 'Swine Song' is among the series' best, but 'Watch for Falling Idols' ranks as some of the series' worst.

'No, no, you dufus!'
    --Cadpig on teaming a great episode with a poor one, 'Swine Song'