101 Dalmatians: The Series

You Say It's Your Birthday

Aired Weekdays 5:30 AM Sep 16, 1997 on Toon Disney

7.6
  • Definately stands out as one of the series' best.

I, as well as many other fans of 101 Dalmatians, believe that this is definately one of the series' best episodes.

In this episode, Roger is giving away all his old teddy bears to one of Cruella's companies so that they could be given to charity. On the way to the bus, he kept stumbling over the puppies in his way. The main pups, however, overhear the conversation he has with Nanny, and they misinterpret this believing that their pets are giving them away to Cruella.

Little did the pups know, their pets and their parents were planning a birthday party for the pups to celebrate having them in their family for 101 days. Anita had been designing costumes for each of the pups. Unbeknownest to her, Cruella had been spying on her, and she thought that Anita was plotting something with Ralphie St. Lawrent (Cruella's rival).

On the day of the party, the main pups get up early and decide to run away from home. However, Spot finds out about the party, and she catches the pups just in time to bring them back.

There are a lot of aspects of the episode that make it what I believe one of the best episodes of the series. For one thing, it has an A story and a B story, which makes us feel sorry for more than one character. This is also the only episode in the series where Cadpig's stomach growled (not that I think anyone would care, but it's something I just felt like pointing out). Each of the four main pups suffered a growling stomach sometime in the series (Rolly especially).

I liked the party scene where the pups all wore their costumes. Everyone's looked really cool. Also, for some strange reason, I liked Anita's line where she said Cruella was trying to help make the party a big success.

Overall, "You Say It's Your Birthday" is just a wonderful episode. Cadpig has said a lot of memorable lines in the series, and two of my favorite things she's ever said were in this particular episode. I have an online friend who reviewed this episode and concluded his review with one of the two quotes I'm talking about, so I'm going to conclude this with the other one.

"I don't handle rejection well!...Although, I have revenge down pat."
    -Revenge does come in handy, but sometimes, it's just not necessary. "You Say It's Your Birthday"
  • A must-see episode.

Coming off a birthday buzz, I thought it would be a good time to review this episode. If I was to start a Top 10 episodes list of 101 Dalmatians: the Series, "You Say it's Your Birthday" would be a strong contender for a position in said Top 10.

"You Say it's Your Birthday"--The Main Pups think they on the verge of being given away while Cruella thinks Anita is moonlighting for her competitor.

While I like the 11-minute long episodes and they undeniably have their charms, I will say right now that I am a fan of the half-hour long episodes; they are have longer runtime and that can be used to their advantage. As long as it's done properly, it is a joy to watch, if not...well, you understand.

One of the best parts of this episode was the multiple viewpoints it allowed us to see. The Main Pups thinking their pets will be giving them all away and wanting nothing to do with it, Roger and Anita getting ready for the surprise party, Pongo and Perdita trying to help while leaving the Main Pups guessing, Cruella thinking Anita is moonlighting for a competitor, even Jasper and Horace get a say in the proceedings. All these viewpoints did come together and it enrichened this overall strong episode.

There was some great writing, I enjoyed the throwback to the movie ("They're giving us to Cruella?!"). It had many memorable lines of dialogue and at times the atmosphere was a bit suspenseful; I was left guessing as to wheter the Main Pups would leave without getting to the surprise party. It is a fine example of the show's constantly clever writing.

The 'visual' jokes were funny as well; Cruella trying to spy on Anita while she talked to Roger on the phone was a funny scene (she is trapped under her desk in the process), as was the shot of Horace's camera facing up after he hit a phone pole.

If there was anything that I think would have been improved, it might have been that not all viewpoints are carried out until the end; Horace and Jasper are just 'there' until they are no longer needed. Afterwards, it's all Cruella on the villains' side. In addition, one can see the multiple viewpoints as distracting; but I understand that it was the point of the episode that multiple views were necessary and they helped make "You Say it's Your Birthday" one of the best episodes in the series.

In addition, I loved the pups' new garbs; Lucky in a Scotsman cap and sash, Rolly in a jacket and cap, Cadpig in a 'country gal' outfit and Spot getting a pink vest.

When all is said and done, "You Say it's Your Birthday" is a terrific episode that I would highly reccommend as it is a nicely done piece of work. It's a brilliant episode.

'Lucky, I'm conflicted. I can't tell if I'm suffering from abandonment issues or seperation anxiety. (stomach growls)...or gas.'
    --Gas has many uses, but there are some places it should not be, "You Say it's Your Birthday"