101 Dalmatians: The Series

You Say It's Your Birthday

Aired Weekdays 5:30 AM Sep 16, 1997 on Toon Disney

7.6
  • Definately stands out as one of the series' best.

I, as well as many other fans of 101 Dalmatians, believe that this is definately one of the series' best episodes.

In this episode, Roger is giving away all his old teddy bears to one of Cruella's companies so that they could be given to charity. On the way to the bus, he kept stumbling over the puppies in his way. The main pups, however, overhear the conversation he has with Nanny, and they misinterpret this believing that their pets are giving them away to Cruella.

Little did the pups know, their pets and their parents were planning a birthday party for the pups to celebrate having them in their family for 101 days. Anita had been designing costumes for each of the pups. Unbeknownest to her, Cruella had been spying on her, and she thought that Anita was plotting something with Ralphie St. Lawrent (Cruella's rival).

On the day of the party, the main pups get up early and decide to run away from home. However, Spot finds out about the party, and she catches the pups just in time to bring them back.

There are a lot of aspects of the episode that make it what I believe one of the best episodes of the series. For one thing, it has an A story and a B story, which makes us feel sorry for more than one character. This is also the only episode in the series where Cadpig's stomach growled (not that I think anyone would care, but it's something I just felt like pointing out). Each of the four main pups suffered a growling stomach sometime in the series (Rolly especially).

I liked the party scene where the pups all wore their costumes. Everyone's looked really cool. Also, for some strange reason, I liked Anita's line where she said Cruella was trying to help make the party a big success.

Overall, "You Say It's Your Birthday" is just a wonderful episode. Cadpig has said a lot of memorable lines in the series, and two of my favorite things she's ever said were in this particular episode. I have an online friend who reviewed this episode and concluded his review with one of the two quotes I'm talking about, so I'm going to conclude this with the other one.

"I don't handle rejection well!...Although, I have revenge down pat."
    -Revenge does come in handy, but sometimes, it's just not necessary. "You Say It's Your Birthday"