2 Broke Girls Forums

Monday 8:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Discussion Thread: "And The Secret Ingredient"

encmetalhead

[1]Jan 2, 2012
    • level: 6

Talk it up!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

EJamison

[2]Jan 2, 2012
    • level: 17

I can't decide if it's just that it's been 3 weeks since I've seen an episode or if this one was even sillier than usual.

It seems that Caroline would have gone grocery shopping with Max by now. Am I supposed to treat this like "The Simpsons" where Maggie has been a non-talking baby forever? If nothing is supposed to change then Chestnut would still be in the backyard.

I have never gone nuts for coupons. I don't understand how a store could give you money back if you buy 40 boxes of cake mix. Are there actually coupons like that? Then they act like no one (not even the cue-pon queen) knows about this special. Wouldn't other customers have already cleared out the shelves? Or they could have made it the first thing in the morning and opened the doors like it was a Black Friday sale.

And, as a guy, I have no idea what the going price for a washroom-dispenser tampon is going for. But it seems to me the customer would have checked there first and if she needed change she just would have asked Earl for change without having to explain what it was for. And how far away is the drug/convenience store?

djboy77

[3]Jan 3, 2012
    • level: 7

EJamison wrote:

I can't decide if it's just that it's been 3 weeks since I've seen an episode or if this one was even sillier than usual.

It seems that Caroline would have gone grocery shopping with Max by now. Am I supposed to treat this like "The Simpsons" where Maggie has been a non-talking baby forever? If nothing is supposed to change then Chestnut would still be in the backyard.

I have never gone nuts for coupons. I don't understand how a store could give you money back if you buy 40 boxes of cake mix. Are there actually coupons like that? Then they act like no one (not even the cue-pon queen) knows about this special. Wouldn't other customers have already cleared out the shelves? Or they could have made it the first thing in the morning and opened the doors like it was a Black Friday sale.

And, as a guy, I have no idea what the going price for a washroom-dispenser tampon is going for. But it seems to me the customer would have checked there first and if she needed change she just would have asked Earl for change without having to explain what it was for. And how far away is the drug/convenience store?

Agree with all of that. $70 worth of groceries for $12? WTH kind of arrangement is that? Or 40 boxes of something and they'll pay you? That's got to be some made-up TV fakery. Like the sound of a spaceship roaring through the vacuum of space.

Not just the shopping either. Caroline's been living there how long - and I thought even helped her with the cupcakes on at least one occasion - and yet she doesn't know they're a box thing?

Personally, it also strikes me that the customer should be looking after her own tamponic needs. As with everything else any time ever, if the need strikes suddenly and you haven't planned ahead, the price of convenience might include a slight mark-up. That's 7-11's entire modus operandi and business model. Need milk at 3am? You're gonna pay extra. Which makes calling it a gender issue disingenuous. A washroom condom, or airport shaving kit isn't going to be any more discounted than a tampon would be. Particularly since the need to stay tampon-ready should be cyclical and semi-predictable, while you can't always anticipate your condom/shaving/milk needs.

kcs_niagara_usa

[4]Jan 3, 2012
    • level: 8

Will say this >>> Okay the "40 boxes" was tv fakery, andexaggeration for humor

.....BUT,

>> It doesparallel the various "rewards" programs

with: soft drinks codes, wii-points, or swipe at point of purchase

(bonus cardredemptions) . . . soooo in theory: it is possible

the store pays you for purchasing (40)boxes of product...

it is also suspending reality for the sake of tv, but it is very

plausible that the baking goods company would honor such a program,

(and the store may have their own agenda to accept the business), as

[playing along w/ the scenario], iF u buy that much cake mix, you will need

eggs, milk, etc ( and ) you are already at the store....

soo in this example: the store pays you $x.amount of money, (supplied

by duncan hines) and then the customer turns around, and spends 12 % more

capital (back to the store) to get the other supplies needed,

> SUNOCO follows this business model: (not money back) but GIVES AWAY

(FREE) one of their PRODUCTS (doritos) if you AGREE to purchase a

20. oz Mountain Dew product ( which has a higher grade of profit ) ...

ShayC0

[5]Jan 17, 2012
    • level: 1
    Just to clear everything up because you guys think this whole couponing thing in ludicrous. There is a new show on TLC called, "Extreme Couponing," it's a thing and has become kind of a big deal. A lot of shows have poked fun at this concept in the last few months. It is ludicrous and who knows how they get money back but is it that big of a deal? Stop putting this TV show in such literal terms.
    Second, if you are a male you should not be commenting on the use of tampons in public places and being prepared, these are typical male responses.. Sometimes it just happens at the worst possible moments when you don't have your purse or you started a week earlier. There was a time where almost every public bathroom had a tampon dispenser and within the last 5 years they have all started to just disappear. On my college campus there wasn't a single machine throughout the entire campus.
    All in all, I love 2 Broke Girls and as someone who loves to bake, I was bummed to find out that Max uses boxed cupcake mix!

zan4

[6]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 10
    My issue is that am pretty sure it's illegal to sell box food like that without disclosing it also if they do open a bakery it will be cheaper to make from scratch then buying boxes

djboy77

[7]Feb 18, 2012
    • level: 7

ShayC0 wrote:
    Second, if you are a male you should not be commenting on the use of tampons in public places and being prepared, these are typical male responses.. Sometimes it just happens at the worst possible moments when you don't have your purse or you started a week earlier. There was a time where almost every public bathroom had a tampon dispenser and within the last 5 years they have all started to just disappear. On my college campus there wasn't a single machine throughout the entire campus.

Nobody's saying there shouldn't be machines. But how does 75c warrant massive outrage when your body is expelling blood and you have an urgent need (that you presumably are normally prepared for)? You tip more than 75c, and we're talking about a bodily emergency here. In the closest approximate analogue that I can imagine, if my bladder is about to burst and there is no toilet around, I will happily give you the $10 in my pocket for the empty bottle you're holding, rather than piss my pants. Or if I have a sudden onset nose-bleed, will I pay the $2.50 for the pocket-size pack of 10 Kleenex? With a song in my heart and a smile on my face. Quibbling over 3 quarters for an unusual situation seems downright petty. 75c for your dignity sounds like a bargain. Or is it worth so very little?

Edited on 02/18/2012 8:34am