Marathon and triathlon: news, notes and training

123home123

[1]Oct 7, 2008
    • level: 55
    I know it's a little late but I just realized that there was no thread for the men's marathon and marathons in general.

This past summer I did a lot of swimming. I think it was the fourth summer in a row that I had done a lot of swimming in the outdoor pool. (Outdoor pools are so much better than most indoor pools, which tend to be humid and musty. So much better to be swimming under the fresh breeze and the sunlight, which takes care of any mold problem.) Anyway, I kept on swimming longer and longer in each session until one day I was able to swim for about two hours straight with just a few brief rest periods. Then I lifted weights for another hour after that. Somehow I had gotten myself into great aerobic shape.

I watched a lot of the swimming at the Olympics but I also watched the marathons too, men and women. Normally I don't watch running events on TV, even Olympic marathons, but this time I did. I found it exciting to watch. The combination of the marathons and the thrilling swimming competitions inspired me. Something clicked and I suddenly wanted to do more than just swim all the time. I wanted to enter some sort of event myself. After talking about it with a couple people, I decided to start training to run a marathon next year (2009) and/or a triathlon. I already have a good fitness base, aerobic and strength-wise. So I am transitioning into adding more running workouts. I've gotten some necessary gear: new running shoes (two pairs), a water-resistant sports watch for timing laps, gel packs, water bottle and a running belt. I've been reading articles on Runner's World and I bought Hal Higdon's popular book "Marathon: The Ultimate Training Guide".

Tonight (Tuesday) I did a comfortable 6-mile run. It went pretty well. I think it's my first longer run since high school. My heart is in great shape and my calves aren't too sore. Stretching them out helped a lot.

Anyway, I thought it might be interesting if anyone else is training for a marathon, triathlon, or even a 10K or ten-miler, to post any training updates here as we go along. Perhaps not every week but maybe once every 3 or 4 weeks or whenever you feel like it. Even if no one else is training, I'll post here just to help me keep track of my training and see how I'm progressing. I'm keeping a log on a OpenOffice.org document on my computer but I'd also like to post some occasional updates here too. Hopefully at least a few other runners or triathletes will provide some pearls of wisdom or just their thoughts about the training process and race preparation, and maybe even some great times and results too.

Here are some useful websites for those interested in getting involved with running, marathons and triathlons:

www.runnersworld.com
    www.insidetri.com
    www.ironman.com
    www.bicycling.com
    www.triathlon.org

Runner's World, Inside Triathlon and Bicycling Magazine offer lots of articles and tips about training, nutrition, injury prevention and race preparation. Ironman.com features news about upcoming Ironman and Ironman 70.3 triathlon events worldwide. It's the official website of the World Triathlon Corporation, which runs the Ironman triathlons.

Triathlon.org is the official website of the International Triathlon Union, the organizing body of triathlon for the Olympics.
    Edited on 10/21/2008 1:16pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

123home123

[2]Oct 7, 2008
    By the way, Haile Gebrselassie of Ethiopia set a new world record for the marathon just a couple weeks ago on Sunday, September 28, at the Berlin Marathon. He finished the flat course in 2:03:59. That's an average of 12.7 mph or about 4:44 a mile. Incredible.

123home123

[3]Oct 10, 2008
    This is a busy weekend for endurance events. On Saturday, October 11, the Ironman Triathlon race will be held on the Big Island of Hawaii. On Sunday, October 12, the 2008 Chicago Marathon will be run. Both events are famous and popular, with over 1000 competitors in the Ironman and 45,000 runners in the Chicago Marathon.

The Chicago Marathon is one of the World Marathon Majors, along with the Boston, New York, London and Berlin Marathons. Elite athletes race in the event, including Olympic gold medalists and world-record holders.

The Ironman Triathlon is considered to be the ultimate endurance test for athletes (although there are some less well-publicized multiday endurance events that cover longer total distances). Participants must swim 2.4 miles, bike for 112 miles and then run a full 26.22-mile marathon, all on the same day!

The Chicago Marathon will be televised by the Universal Sports channel. I can't tell if the Ironman Triathlon will be televised live by any national channels.