Women's Gymnastics

rapturerogue

[1]Aug 7, 2008
    • level: 45

The United States and China are going to battle for the team gold medal this year in what is sure to be a fantastic competition. The bronze medal is up for grabs between Russia and Romania, but there may be some surprises from other teams, such as Australia, Italy, Brazil and France.

Americans Shawn Johnson (2007 World All Around Champion) and Nastia Liukin (nine-time World medalist) are expected to finish at the top in the All Around Competition, along with Jade Barbossa (2007 World All Around bronze medalist), Steliana Nistor (2007 World All Around Silver medalist), Vanessa Ferrari (2006 World All Around Champion), and Jiang Yuyuan (2007 Olympic Test Event Winner).

There is a new scoring system in place now, with the Perfect 10 thrown out the window. Execution scores start at 10 (with deductions taken from that), and Difficulty value (or Start Value, as it's also called) is added to the execution score. To give you an idea, a good score would be in the 15-16 point range, with 17+ being the highest seen so far.

This should be a very exciting competition! I'd love to hear everyone's predictions/hopes for the results!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dbcsdragon

[2]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 12

The first day of competition for them is heartbreaking. After Samantha's injury right before starting time, everything went downhill. One huge problem after another. Falls and out-of-bounds. I felt so bad for them. Especially Nastia Luikin dismount fall after a near perfect routine. That looked like it hurt. At least they finished strong on the beam. Here's hoping that Samantha's ankle is okay and that the team can forget this day and go all out next time.

tvfanatic91

[3]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 44
    I watched a little last night, the US I guess didn't do as well as the wished, but they had an injury and a girl fall down but they can definitly still contend for gold. I do not know alot about gymnastics but I didn't think they did too bad.

bonjovichick

[4]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 16

I think they held their own and with the fact they only send three up in the team competition I think they will do ok. Hopefully a Gold but for sure a Silver. I think they are pretty evenly split with the Chinese on events each does better so it will be interesting.

I am not really enjoying the announcers. They seem so anti USA which is weird. Mostly because the first night on the mens everytime someone made a slight step at the end they were all over it saying you can't win that way etc. Then last night watching the Chinese they made many of the tiny steps and hops at the end and they never once said anything. becuase they couldn't criticize our girls too much on that they found other things to. I am not sure what is up with that but I don't like it. They don't have to be 1005 pro USA only either as I wouldn't like that but at least being consistent would be good.

Minarvia

[5]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 39
    I was watching both the woman and men gymnastics and it seem that everybody was having troubles with their landings.

bonjovichick

[6]Aug 11, 2008

Minarvia wrote:
    I was watching both the woman and men gymnastics and it seem that everybody was having troubles with their landings.

But they never pointed it out when the chinese girls did it which is what bugged me

Minarvia

[7]Aug 11, 2008
    • level: 39
    bonjovichick wrote:

Minarvia wrote:

But they never pointed it out when the chinese girls did it which is what bugged me

That is true, I think it is because they are in China and the Chiniest officals might not like that. But, why? This is a sporting event, and if you make a mistake who should expect it to happen.

123home123

[8]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 55
    It was quite a battle between the U.S. and China in the team finals but China was just too good. The U.S. had some problems, particularly with Alicia Sacramone's fall from the balance beam and the mishap on a tumbling run in the floor exercise but Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson were also a little rattled on the floor exercise. Shawn Johnson had a spectacular performance on the balance beam as did Nastia Liukin on the uneven bars.

China outdid themselves and everyone else on the vault and uneven bars. They had a large cushion going into the floor exercise and they handled the pressure with ease.

The U.S. still took the silver, even after the injuries to Chellsie Memmel and Samantha Peszek. Peszek did not compete at all while Memmel entered just one event.

The individual all-around competition is still to come. Both Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin are expected to compete for the individual gold medal as well as apparatus gold medals. Alicia Sacramone will also compete in the finals on the vault. Good luck to them all.
    Edited on 08/13/2008 7:10am

bonjovichick

[9]Aug 13, 2008
    Did Shawn and Nastia make the finals for all 4 or just some of them? I know they made the all around but wondering about the individual?

123home123

[10]Aug 13, 2008
    I'm not sure. The official website may have the line-ups for the individual finals but sometimes the matchups aren't posted until the day of an event.

seanconery

[11]Aug 13, 2008
    • level: 10
    The women's finals were a load of sh**. We were scored too low on the uneven bars and China was scored too high on the beam after the falls and all of the balance checks. They had too many balance checks to count and each one is a .1 point deduction. The last event should have been a lot closer going into it. Also their gymnests are way too young.

123home123

[12]Aug 13, 2008
    Dan Wetzel of Yahoo! Sports wrote a good column on the age controversy. The problem with the Karolyis comments on the age issue is that they don't have any proof. I'm not saying that the Chinese gymnasts were or weren't 16 but the Karolyis need to have at least some kind of proof before tossing out so many verbal bombs. They simply point and say, "Look at them!" "They look so young!"

Many Chinese and East Asian people simply look younger than people from other countries and regions. It's no secret that the average height of Chinese people is significantly less than that of the average American or European. So why wouldn't the teenagers also be much smaller? Though I'm American, I'm of East Asian heritage. Everyone in my family looks about half of their age.

Does this "prove" that the Chinese gymnasts are 16 (or will turn 16 this year)? No, of course not. But appearances don't prove that they are underage either. Apparently there was a New York Times "investigation" last year or this year but they aren't infallible either. Remember Jayson Blair? (If you don't, look him up on the Internet.)

If there is something to this issue, then by all means, the U.S. and other countries should file formal protests and press the matter with the international gymnastics federation and the IOC. But without concrete proof, I think it's irresponsible to keep saying that the gymnasts are under 16 without a doubt and using their young appearance as definitive "proof" of those claims.

Mdinkle1

[13]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 35
    seanconery wrote:
    The women's finals were a load of sh**. We were scored too low on the uneven bars and China was scored too high on the beam after the falls and all of the balance checks. They had too many balance checks to count and each one is a .1 point deduction. The last event should have been a lot closer going into it.

I definitely agree about the beam thing - one of their gymnasts fell off the beam as well, but no one made a big deal about it. She still got a good score. Every single one of their gymnasts had a lot of bobbles, but still had high scores, while Shawn Johnson had a flawless routine (except for maybe one slight bobble), and her score was not all that impressive. =/

123home123

[14]Aug 14, 2008
    Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin are two of the top contenders for the individual all-around gold medal. The competition begins soon. Good luck to Shawn and Nastia, and all the competitors.

UncleRegis

[15]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 12
    Mdinkle1 wrote:
    seanconery wrote:
    We were scored too low on the uneven bars and China was scored too high on the beam after the falls and all of the balance checks. They had too many balance checks to count and each one is a .1 point deduction. The last event should have been a lot closer going into it.

I definitely agree about the beam thing - one of their gymnasts fell off the beam as well, but no one made a big deal about it. She still got a good score. Every single one of their gymnasts had a lot of bobbles, but still had high scores, while Shawn Johnson had a flawless routine (except for maybe one slight bobble), and her score was not all that impressive. =/

Looks like China is getting a little help from judges again on the balance beam during the all-around competition.

123home123

[16]Aug 15, 2008
    Eh, it's OK. I'm just glad that Nastia Liukin didn't get preoccupied by whether the scoring was completely fair. On the balance beam, it seems that Nellie Kim, the head of the technical judging committee, told the other judges to raise their score for Nastia, resulting in a 16.125.

As those of you who stayed up already know, Nastia Liukin went onto post another outstanding routine on the floor exercise and took the individual all-around gold. She is the third American woman ever to win the individual all-around in gymnastics after Mary Lou Retton and Carly Patterson. Great job Nastia, and congratulations. Congratulations to Shawn Johnson as well for winning the silver, and to Yang Yilin of China for taking the bronze.

The floor exercise routines for both Liukin and Johnson were outstanding, tied for the highest mark among all the competitors. A great day for the U.S. team in general and for Nastia Liukin in particular.

bonjovichick

[17]Aug 15, 2008

It is great they came in one -two ... I think it is a terrific accomplishment.

It is frustrating to know however they had to be even better than by all rights they needed to be because they scored bar and beam lower than either one of them deserved. All the credit in the world to those two to just battle it out and not let them effect their performances. Just so sad that they have to be put in that position.

rapturerogue

[18]Aug 15, 2008
    bonjovichick wrote:
    Did Shawn and Nastia make the finals for all 4 or just some of them? I know they made the all around but wondering about the individual?

Nastia qualified for bars, beam and floor. Shawn qualified for beam and floor. Alicia qualified for vault and is an alternate for the beam final.

rapturerogue

[19]Aug 15, 2008
    UncleRegis wrote:
    Mdinkle1 wrote:
    seanconery wrote:
    We were scored too low on the uneven bars and China was scored too high on the beam after the falls and all of the balance checks. They had too many balance checks to count and each one is a .1 point deduction. The last event should have been a lot closer going into it.

Looks like China is getting a little help from judges again on the balance beam during the all-around competition.

I wouldn't mind the judges low-balling the beam scores if they were doing it across the board with everyone's scores. It seemed as if they were scoring the American's lower on purpose. Not that it matters, since Nastia and Shawn came in first and second place anyway

Mdinkle1

[20]Aug 17, 2008
    • level: 35

Is anyone else confused about China getting bronze in women's individual vault? She fell on her knees, and still scored high enough to medal. Something's not right there . I felt pretty bad for Alicia Sacramone (spelling?)

On a more positive note, congratulations to Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin on winning silver and bronze, respectively, on floor exercise.

Edited on 08/17/2008 8:50pm
    Edited 2 total times.