2008 Summer Olympic Games

Opening Ceremony

Aired Daily 8:00 PM Aug 08, 2008 on NBC

• A great start!

Can you belive that the Olympics started on 8-8-08 at 8:08pm est. And that they are twelve hours ahead of us in Beijing. Really a touching and moving tribute. Wished that it wasn't in China. All due to human rights issues. Glad though they pulled off one of the biggest and best opening ceremonies ever. London, which will have the games in 2012, will have to come up with something like that. Plus, they didn't go by ABC of countries but by some kind of system. It was neat to see the person running across the stadium, to lit the torch. Felt that he was going to fall. But they manage to pull it off!
  • They've done it!

Absolutely stunning ceremony. They've raised the bar real high. The use of their great contributions to the world and their 5000years of history to the spectacular settings (the scroll on the ground), clothes are unparalleled by any Olympics opening ceremony. And I think it was fantastic that they made the whole event their own even with the march past of the athletes. Rather than having it in the romanised order it was done by the number of strokes used to write the name of the country in Chinese. And the fireworks to represent footsteps, now all I can say is WOW! Now lets see how they'll close the event. That being said I think the best lighting of the cauldron was still the one by the archer at the 1992 Barcelona games.
  • The Old Meets the new...stunning!

Ill start out by saying that im a huge fan of the olympic games. I can remember back fondly to the Barcelona (1992) Olympics and just thoroughly enjoying the spectacle and athletisism of it all. .Since then ive been an avid follower The opening ceremonies do tend to drag on, but ive always loved to see what each hosting city has to offer.

In saying that the opening ceremony of Beijing 2008 was absolutely spectacular. Using every possible technology and skill from its country, China put on a visually stunning feast on the eyes. Two things stand out for me, the giant globe rising from beneath the Birds Nest and the final torch bearer running through the air to ignite the torch. Plus its also a thrill to see your country enter the stadium.

Bring on the rest of the games. Go NZ!
  • The 2008 Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony was very awesome!

The 2008 Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony was not only awesome, but also incredible and overwhelming! I am sure there were thousands of performers with tremendous talent. Tremendous performances by dancers, singers, drummers, with lavish costumes as well. The T'ai Chi performers were so precise in their movements and very enjoyable to watch. The final torch barer showed unimaginable athleticism as he raced around the top of the arena, when he lit the huge towered torch, which seemed to appear out of nowhere. It lit up with the arena, followed by a beautiful firework display. I think it was the best Opening Ceremony the Olympics has ever had!
  • The Olympics begin.

Inspiring, uplifting and unmatched are a few of the words you can use to describe event known as the Summer Olympic Games. When Pierre de Coubertin founded the International Olympic Committee even he could not have expected the magnitude of importance the games now hold upon them. An event children of all ages, parents, grandparents, great grandparents and everyone else in the world can watch and can find a nation to support unconditionally.

I will not lie to you, I'm probably only going to watch basketball, wrestling, boxing, soccer and weightlifting, but I am not discounting the importance of any of the other competitions. NBC and all its affiliates have put forward breathtaking production values and state-of-the-art TV programs giving viewers the best possible coverage of the best athletes in the world. The next few weeks are going to be exciting and this is just the beginning.
  • An amazing display!

I was amazed of how well-tuned the opening ceremony was, and at how technically advanced the different segments were.

I loved the fire-works, the song by Sara Brightman, the light-show, the drumming at the beginning, and the children in the colourful costumes. And how about that little girl in the red dress?? I found it quite confusing when the different countries walked into the arena, since they were organized after the chinese spelling, but in one way that was fitting as well.

Only thing I found difficult, was the language. My understanding of chinese is non-existing, and if I could choose, I'd wanted more of the speeking in English. :-)