2008 Summer Olympic Games

NBC (ended 2008)

123home123

2008 Summer Olympic Games Fan Reviews (7)

7.7
  • The first Olympic Games I watched daily. But it was a fraud, read more for knowing why.

These new olympic games were the first ones I watched daily, but the opening was a fraud. China didn't let the little girl make the opening just moving her mouth! The real singer was banned just for not being a good representer of China (how bad are the Chinese), and usin false fireworks, they used clips from the Sydney 2000 games!

The biggest game was the Argentina-USA basketball game, mom and grandma were cheering Argentina (since we LIVE there), and I played like "it doesn't care me", while I wanted to cheer USA. The most of the accidents were in weightlifting! Poor man who dislocated his elbow.
  • The Olympic Games, 2008, held in the Chinese capital, Beijing, were tlevised by NBC.

The Olympic games never fail to satisfy, and this year's Beijing installment was no exception. This really was a big moment for the Chinese and think it showed more of their vulnerable said. The Games this year sent a message to the world saying, "Just because our government's corrupt doesn't mean our people are." And, as always, the action was plentiful and exciting; Michael Phelps's triumph was undobutedly the highlight of the Games, but one of the things I love best about the Games is being able to watch sports--diving, water polo, and ping pong, for example, that you are never able to see televised regularly due to their obscuirty. But the Games give the stars of these sports a chance to be recognized on a global front and it gives them a chance to shine.

The NBC broadcasting was terrific--when is it ever not? I just have one question, though--how do you get the theme song out of your head?
  • Love it when the games are on! Lucky number 8!

Eight must be one lucky number for Beijing. As the games started on 8-8-08 Friday. Started the Opening Ceremonies at 8:08pm est but it is twelve hours head start in daylight. Really touching and moving ceremonies. They didn't go by ABC order like they always do in the Parade of Nations. Since they don't have any letters. But eights were really popular there. Like Michael Phelps eight record gold medals, China powerhouse diving team also won eight golds, & the US gymnastics team won eight medals along the way.
    Really good Olympics and hopefully one day, either the winter or summer games will come back to the USA!
  • Multi-Channel Olympic Coverage Outstanding in Scope and Execution

Do I look forward to the Olympic Games every 2 years? Absolutely - Winter or Summer, it is a treat to see the virtuosity of the great athletes of the world. The 2008 Beijing edition has been nothing short of spectacular. Politics and some unfortunate decision making aside, the Chinese are hosting a great event. The Opening Ceremony was thrilling in both it's high and low tech presentations (disregarding the CGI fireworks and lip-synching.

The reportage has been outstanding, with Bob Costas holding the whole thing together. Mary Carillo has been particularly funny and touching with her cultural features and gymnastics hosting on Oxygen.

As for the Athletes - this is an historic event because of Michael Phelps, but he is not alone in his achievements. I've watched Fencing, Weightlifting, Badminton and Table Tennis with equal interest. The insight provided by commentators is welcome.
  • Good and unoriginal.

I absolutely love the olympics! I think that it is great for people who has talent all over the world to compete in their favorite activity. It's a great way for the people to interact and learn the new culture. The olympic ceremony were beautiful and entertaining!
    This year it's hosted in Beijing, China. They want the olympics to be flawless but here are some things I saw that are flaws:
    Well, first of all, there's the problem about the "ugly" little girl who has an amazing voice. The people thought she was ugly because of her buck teeth and was not in the nation's interest, so they made another pretty girl lip-sync to her voice. What the heck is wrong? The "ugly" little girl is NOT UGLY and is that all people care about, appearance and not talent?
    The second thing is that they overlapped fake fireworks in the television system to make it appear on TV that a lot of fire works were happening. All I want to say is why? They tried to make Beijing Summer Olympics so flawless but I see a lot of flaws.

Overall, good show and GO USA!!
  • Amazing

I always tune for the olympics and there is no differance this year I love it. I love watching all the events and seeing who wins the medals! I like a lot of countries including USA, Ukraine, brazil, Netherlands, Argentina and did I say USA!!! The olympics are much more than sports, there are events where every country comes together and battles it out. What is cool about this year is that the events are overnight. To me, it is fun to stay up and watch it.
    Go united states of america, Go united states of america, Go united states of america, Go united states of america.
    watch it and have fun.
    THANks for reading!
  • The old meets the new...stunningly spectacular.

Ill start out by saying that im a huge fan of the olympic games. I can remember back fondly to the Barcelona (1992) Olympics and just thoroughly enjoying the spectacle and athletisism of it all. .Since then ive been an avid follower The opening ceremonies do tend to drag on, but ive always loved to see what each hosting city has to offer.

In saying that the opening ceremony of Beijing 2008 was absolutely spectacular. Using every possible technology and skill from its country, China put on a visually stunning feast on the eyes. Two things stand out for me, the giant globe rising from beneath the Birds Nest and the final torch bearer running through the air to ignite the torch. Plus its also a thrill to see your country enter the stadium.

Bring on the rest of the games. Go NZ!