21 Jump Street Forums

FOX (ended 1991)

Johnny Depp - "Tom Hanson"

explorer0713

[1]Apr 21, 2006
    • level: 3
    Was it ever revealed what Hanson did after leaving Jump Street?  Anything at all?
    Edited on 07/11/2006 8:47am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Natterjacks

[2]Apr 22, 2006
    • level: 8
    not as far as I know... there one min, gone the next...

history_girl

[3]Apr 27, 2006
    • level: 55
    Not that I remember either, he was just gone.

BRAH

[4]Jul 8, 2006
    • level: 4
    Same thing with Ioki. They just... vanished.

Hanson was already exibiting burnout in Season 4. I guess you could say he finally quit. Maybe he tried a normal life, and tried to find that old girlfriend of his from "Eternal Flame".

hex_oc

[5]Aug 1, 2006
    • level: 5
    i haven't seen all the season's yet, i'm only half way thorugh season 3 but by reading this and what you said Johnny just leaves without anyword what-so-ever.... he was the only reason i was watching it lol awww... is it still any good after he leaves

johnny_rox93

[6]Aug 5, 2006
    • level: 2
    lol. I loved Johnny in this show. I thought he was good in the 4th season, but that's just me. It was so stupid that they never said anything about Hanson leaving. It was so stupid. But the 5th season is alright. Not AS good, but alright. They got rid of like all the good people. They got rid of Hanson, Penhal, Ioki. lol. And they shoulda kept Dean and Kati. I was startin' to like them. The show just went downhill though once Johnny left. Poor poor Hanson. :'(

BRAH

[7]Sep 3, 2006
    I don't think they should've kept Dean. What an absolute bore-fest. Sorry I don't agree with that.

I still don't know where Dustin Nguyen went, and how. But Johnny Depp had re-signed for the 5th Season, IF it was on Fox. But once it was canceled and went to syndication for it's 5th Season, Depp left. Peter DeLuise followed Johnny. He explained in the commentary for "Number One With A Bullet", that he thought he was get work and the phone would be ringing off the hook if he left "Jump St.". That didn't happen, and he was basically un-employed until he got "Seaquest DSV", and in hind-sight he regrets leaving the show and wished that he'd had stayed on.

The only reason I mention this, is because alot of people not on the show in the final season, was because of those actors, not because the producers/writers just got tired of the characters and got rid of them.

drummachick

[8]Sep 23, 2006
    • level: 11
    It kinda creeps me out that my biggest celebrity crush was divorced and on tv when I was too young to remember the show clearly. But he's soo hot!

hvstmn316

[9]Nov 9, 2006
    • level: 6
    I loved Johnny Depp and Tom Hansen I really only watched 21 JS for him. I could tell he was ready to leave by season 3 but Johnny was still great regardless and so hot. The show sucked without Johnny. I would have thought they would have explained Tom's leaving in some way he was the main character.

BRAH

[10]Jan 10, 2007
    Yeah, that was also the same season that Steve Beers & Bill Nuss took over. Johnny stated somewhere once, I thought, that he always though Patrick Hasburgh was the heart & sole of the show, and once Hasburgh left after Season 2, he gradually lost interest in the direction the series was headed.

By Season 4, it was obvious he wanted out, BAD. Almost every single performance was completely phoned-in. The only 'old school' Johnny performance, was the Penhall & Hanson-only episode, "La Bizca".

WILDFANSRULE

[11]Mar 2, 2007
    Johnny is such a great actor, he can play so many different things!

lequericacalvo

[12]Oct 30, 2007
    • level: 32
    WILDFANSRULE wrote:
    Johnny is such a great actor, he can play so many different things!

Yes.

EliseHanson-x

[13]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 2
    No, because even on Back from the Future, he says "My private life is Private" So no idea. I wish they wouldda mentioned him.. or something

JohnnyDepp21JS

[14]Nov 7, 2008

nope it was never mentioned that he left or anything he was there and then gone, penhall mentions in the 5th series that one of his friends now owns a bowling alley i think it was presumed that the friend he was referring to was hanson

pj-alterego

[15]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 3
    There is an episode in season five before that where Doug is talking to Clavo and talking about Uncle Tom and looking at a picture of them both. From memory that is the last mention of him. I think contract wise, they let him out of the contract at the last minute and re-scheduled when his final episode would air. This is from random research so I could be entirely inaccurate but thought i would throw min in. But perhaps I shall rewatch it and report. I just finished season 3 again and its so freakn fascinating watching the show knwoing what dramas were going on offscreen.. I love that the writwers and the actors for that matter were happy to not take themselves too seriously. please tell me if I am wrong though.

tvman1961

[16]Jan 18, 2009
    • level: 5

pj-alterego wrote:
    I think contract wise, they let him out of the contract at the last minute and re-scheduled when his final episode would air. This is from random research so I could be entirely inaccurate but thought i would throw min in. But perhaps I shall rewatch it and report.

I agree they altered the air dates which were different for episodes 71 and 81 (Blackout). I have forgotten the original filming dates but I submitted some info about the episodes from my research:

How I Saved the Senator

air date 5/7/1990

This episode marks the final filmed episode of the series for Johnny Depp. Episode 81 was aired after this episode with Depp but it was filmed at an earlier date.

Blackout

The airing of this episode makes it the final aired appearance of Johnny Depp in the series. The filming date of the earlier aired episode How I Saved The Senator actually marked the final filming appearance of Johnny Depp.

air date 6/18/1990

majidok

[17]May 26, 2010
    Haven't really greatly liked johnny depp in other stuff like his movies , but I liked him alot in 21 Jump Street .

p4poetic

[18]Jun 29, 2010
    • level: 10
    BRAH wrote:
    Same thing with Ioki. They just... vanished.

Hanson was already exibiting burnout in Season 4. I guess you could say he finally quit. Maybe he tried a normal life, and tried to find that old girlfriend of his from "Eternal Flame".

Linda was one of the worst love interests they gave Hanson, and that's saying a lot since all of them were pretty bad.

They should have just put him with Hoffs.

skgserenity

[19]Sep 8, 2010
    Actually, Johnny Depp revealed later that his status as a "teen icon" was not the direction he was comfortable with having his image and career go. He wanted to get back into film-acting, and starred in Edward Scissorhands. Prior to Jump Street, he starred in the original Nightmare on Elm Street and Platoon.

annericelover

[20]Feb 3, 2011
    • level: 7

Its implied briefly that Doug would go on to work with "a friend who owns a bowling alley"when he discusses to his brother where he is going when he decides to leave. This is only speculation from fans who remember that Hanson loves bowling. After the Season 3 episode "Swallowed Alive" Hanson begins to show less enthusiasm for the cases he's assigned, most likely due to his knowledge of where these kids go afterward and how little he thinks locking them up really helps. Although "Blackout" was the final episode to feature Hanson, its actually "How I Saved the Senator" that was filmed and it feels like a much better way to end the careers of Hanson and Ioki(although Ioki is in the next episode "Everyday is Christmas")