21 Jump Street Forums

FOX (ended 1991)

Original Music

Y2May17

[1]Jan 13, 2008
    • level: 5

I love 21 Jumpstreet, and I own all of the seasons...a big fan! However, is anyone else bummed that almost all of the original music wasn't on the DVD releases? The show was still awesome, but what emphasized the tone was the right music. For example, in season four's "Out of Control," when Hanson is in his Mustang with Quincy, Depeche Mode was perfect. Another episode was season four's "La Bizca" when Penhall is thinking of Marta and U2's"With or Without" you is playing.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kadodian

[2]Jan 16, 2008
    • level: 23
    Yea I was pretty mad at that. The DVD of 21 Jump street showed me how important music can be to a show.

LisaToddFan

[3]Jan 30, 2008
    • level: 4
    I never really liked the music (apart from the theme!) but it does make the scene sometimes

EliseHanson-x

[4]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 2
    I've only ever seen it on DVD, So i wouldnt really know, but I'm happy with it the way it is you know?

tvman1961

[5]Mar 24, 2008
    • level: 5
    The music added to the appeal of the show but for me it was not essential except for the theme song. I recently saw a Season 5 episode on my local station where Joey Penhall saw a Depeche Mode cd and he remarked to a guy that's cool and the guy said it was not his cd but his roommate (I think who had just committed suicide). I think that must have been Diplomas for Sale.
    Edited on 03/24/2008 4:07pm

majidok

[6]May 24, 2010
    • level: 6
    Y2May17 wrote:

I love 21 Jumpstreet, and I own all of the seasons...a big fan! However, is anyone else bummed that almost all of the original music wasn't on the DVD releases? The show was still awesome, but what emphasized the tone was the right music. For example, in season four's "Out of Control," when Hanson is in his Mustang with Quincy, Depeche Mode was perfect. Another episode was season four's "La Bizca" when Penhall is thinking of Marta and U2's"With or Without" you is playing.

Totally Agree .

annericelover

[7]Feb 3, 2011
    • level: 7

I saw the series when it was fist aired, but its really hard to remember the original music and the replaced music, mainly due to the fact that back than music was featured on a TV series with rights issues only occurring through re-airings of a series, not any DVD sales. I actually don't mind the change, only because the series never would have gotten released if FOX had to pay royalties for the original music, especially since the series hasn't been in syndication since the late 90's.

Look at what does happen when distributors don't get music rights to the series and can't change the music because its central in the plot, we get a Collector's Edition, instead of a Complete Series set of the spin-off Booker