TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

227 Forums

NBC (ended 1990)

Jackee Harry

jillianoscr

[1]Mar 1, 2007
    • level: 1
    Does anyone know why Jackee Harry ( Sondra ) left the show?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

telvisnostic

[2]Mar 6, 2007
    • level: 52

It had something to do with the show starting to feature Harry in it alot more than normal.  And Marla Gibbs was upset about it, so they gave her (Jackee') a spin-off I believe.  It's said that they eventually made up.

This is much like the Delta Burke/Dixie Carter issue in Designing Women.

ez1jb

[3]Mar 12, 2007
    • level: 14
    Sandra wasn't as funny as the other characters to me.

p5280j

[4]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 3
    In an interview Jackee said:

"When Sandra took off and I took off with her, the truth is it did indeed create a lot of tension. There were problems on Marla's part, which was truly ridiculous because she had all the power. It was her show. Maybe the problem stemmed from the fact that from the beginning Marla wanted someone else for the part, but the network insisted on me. They were all pushing Sandra, and they were pushing me. That changed when I got big, maybe too big, in Marla's eyes. Not that Marla and I ever had any arguments. She was never rude to me, and we always remained cordial. But on the biggest night of my life, when I won my Emmy, not only wasn't there a party given for me, but there was also not a flower or a word of congratulations. Ever. There was nothing, and that hurt. Afterward, my part got less and less each week, and it became clear to me that it was time to leave and I did."