A 24 Community
FOX (ended 2010)

24: Live Another Day just wrapped up a successful return season for Jack Bauer, Chloe O'Brian, and the rest of the franchise's cohorts, which means we can now assess where Day 9 stacks up against the rest of the series. Does it belong near the top of the list, or must its triumphs carry an asteris,, because Live Another Day only had to produce half the number of episodes as every other day? Well, that's what I'm here for. We're not ready for the clock to run out 24 love quite yet, so it's time to count down all nine "days" of 24, from worst to best.

10. Redemption (2008): In which Jack learns that the children are our future

I appreciate Fox's attempts to fill the 24-shaped hole in our hearts created by the WGA strike with this telefilm bridging Days 6 and 7, but Redemption was entirely unmemorable, which is actually what 24 (good or bad) shouldn't be. Robert Carlyle's Carl Benton was fun, though; the show could have used that character much more—and much better—than it did.

9. DAY 6 (2007): In which there's no one left to care about and a nuclear bomb goes off in Episode 4

The heading says it all. I could go on and on about how stupid it was to actually detonate a nuclear bomb on U.S. soil a sixth of the way through the season and then choose not to explore the consequences of that one event for the next 20 hours. There've been some miserable moments in 24's history, but that one sticks out the most for me. However, while this season did end up getting some solid mileage out of the Bauer family drama and that weird performance by Ricky Schroeder as a CTU agent, the most debilitating thing about Day 6 was that there were far too few characters left for the audience to care about. That's what happens when you go for broke in the previous year, as the show did in Day 5. Sadly, none of the new characters introduced in Day 6 were worth investing in. 

8. DAY 8 (2010): In which a last-ditch effort to spice up the show by moving to New York doesn't really work

The New York setting added a little flavor to the 24 formula, but beyond that, Day 8 made it pretty clear that the show had exhausted any and all ideas. The season was too reliant on the political maneuvering (something that plagued the show in the post-David Palmer days), and even a gusto performance from Katee Sackhoff couldn't make the stupid mole storyline work. However, we shouldn't disregard the surprisingly moving and powerful chemistry between Jack and Renee, or the bloody, murderous rampage Jack went on in the Day's final portion once she was gunned down right after they finished having sex. Fully unhinged Jack was quite the sight.

7. DAY 7 (2009): In which Tony returns from the dead and Jack ponders his use of torture

The shift to D.C. worked better for 24 than its later move to NYC. The imagery of Jack Bauer running around in the nation's capital, or even being indicted in front of a major committee and walking the halls of the CIA, worked wonders for Day 7. And any time you have the chance to produce a major set piece involving a full-scale infiltration of the White House, I'm going to be into it. Day 7 maybe lost the thread a bit with Jack's introspection, but it did make fine use of a more ripped-from-the-headlines story involving a Blackwater-esque shadow group. 

6. DAY 3 (2004): In which Jack kicks heroin in 24 hours, cuts off the hand of his probable son-in-law in a school classroom

If the only criteria for this list was "Which day does Cory re-watch the most," Day 3 would be at the top. Look, it's absolutely silly from almost the very beginning until the very end; this is the season where 24 shifted into a different register, and where it became a show more about plot twists and gruesome violence/action than character. That's okay, however, because Jack kicked heroin in one day. Day 3 also gave us Nina's final moments, Kim as an agent (LOL), the underrated Chase, and all the weird stuff that happened in Mexico. Was it all good? No way. But was it entertaining? Oh yes. 

5. DAY 4 (2005): In which the series reboots (for the first time) and Jack chases Marwan all over California

Day 4 is probably best described as the most consistent and efficient season of 24, even if it didn't reach the same heights as the ones ahead of it on this list. Jack and Audrey's relationship developed more successfully than I would have expected from a show of this caliber, and the new characters managed to mix in with some of the veterans without too much of a disturbance. And of course, Marwan was an awesome, intelligent villain who propelled the story for much longer than most of his peers. 

4. DAY 9 (2014): In which the action moves to London and Jack and Chloe fight for redemption 

Our most recent day obviously had a few advantages that others did not, but I can't hold that against the show too much—especially when Day 9 was so strong. The shorter season meant a tighter and better-told story, and less time to get lost in the woods (perhaps literally) with lame characters or D-plots that had no real impact on the people who everyone in the audience cared about. While the drone stuff was problematic in spots, a trio of great villains (Margot, Cross, and Cheng) and the introduction of a strong new character for the first time in a few Days (Kate) helped Day 9 work as more than just a fun nostalgia project. 

3. DAY 1 (2001): In which Jack saves the day but loses his wife in the process and the original—and still best—mole is revealed

The series' first season gets a lot of credit for bringing such a novel concept to the screen and then executing it with relative aplomb. Fittingly, there were some rough spots along the way as the writers struggled to extend the story to the full 24 hours—most notably Teri's random amnesia fugue state or whatever the hell that was, and most of the mini-stories involving Kim—but the thrill of watching Jack make tough decisions in trying to save both his family and David Palmer is still memorable 13 years later. 

2. DAY 2 (2002): In which the show embraces its post-9/11 politics and introduces the immortal cougar

Although 24 debuted after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, the show couldn't fully shift its focus and scope to reflect the political and sociocultural climate in America until the second season, and boy did it ever. Day 1 created many of the show's longstanding plots and formulas, but Day 2 truly established its politics and expanded its scale and stakes. Most importantly, Day 2 found a nice balance between some of the more intimate stories involving Jack and his "recovery" from the events of Day 1 and the bigger, full-stop terrorist attack stuff that would come to define the show, basically from that point forward. PLUS: Kim and the cougar. That glorious cougar. 

1. DAY 5 (2006): In which nearly everyone important gets killed and Jack saving the day ultimately doesn't matter 

It was hard to choose a winner between the top two or three days, but Day 5 takes the top spot because of how relentless it was in piling on the major deaths, big twists, paranoia, and misery. Although what happened in this season created a massive hole in the show that wasn't really ever filled, it was amazing to watch as it unspool. No one was safe—not even Jack, as the end of the season illustrated. Plus, this was the only season where the political intrigue actually worked and produced real surprises, which is of course in part to Gregory Itzin's performance as the sniveling President Logan. There's a reason Day 5 was 24's most popular and most critically acclaimed season: It was the best.

How would YOU rank 24's seasons? Share your own list in the comments!

68 Comments
Comments (68)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Each season is different, all of which are awesome in their own way. I take the good with the bad, and I don't get worked up and nitpick the hell out of a show, so it's a bit hard and unfair to rank one over the other. For one thing, I view the entire series as one massive, continuous storyline.

season
9 (24:LAD)
7, 8, 4, 3, 2, 6 - all tie - love them all.
Redemption
1 - It's not that I hate it, hell far from it. but how many times do Teri and Kim go through amnesia or get kidnapped ad infinitum, lol. Loved Dennis Hopper and Lou Diamond Philipps though. Ted Cofell in the limo was badass and hilarious. Nina Meyers twist was top notch.
Flag

my rankings. From worst to best.

10. Season 6- a worst way to fallout to season 5-there are a billion things that could have been done to make this season good. My main problem with it is the characterization of the villains. Graem should have not been so wussy and incompetent when he was in charge of everything that happened in Season 5. Phillip should had been tied to Audrey's kidnapping. Pacing.

Some of my pros.. the first four episodes. Everytime they mentioned David Palmer assassination, Jack facing his father the first time, the three episodes with Logan, Jack fighting Fayed, and the political story line minus the attempted assassination. Season 6: the story of a rouge agent saving the world sucked. But Season 6: the story of a power hungry vice president is awesome. I enjoyed VP Daniel's storyline better than Palmer's season 1 and 3 family betrayal/son murders rapist/cheating with president's brother storylines. Powers Boothe is an incredible actor, he can make crap look like gold. Logan and Daniels were the glue for me. They made the season worth watching, PLUS Assad, I like the actor. Fayed's one liners. Tom Lennox.

9. Season 1- The setup season. Cons- It's slow. The Palmer rapist story line bores me but I enjoy David Palmer the character. If that actor in that role was not in this series. I would completely skip everything and just watch Jack. Terri can be annoying, but the story demands a constantly worried and crying mother cause that would happen in real life. Kim the teen... but still in real life this is how some teens are.

Pros- Dennis Hopper as the main bad guy, George Mason, Chappelle, Gaines's one liners, Nina as the mole, Mandy, Richard Walsh, Richard Burgi as Gaines's sidekick, the soundtrack, every frame with Mike Novick in it, Jack being Jack, it's all good, it's slow and the politics can be boring, Sherry is Sherry but I like her better in season 2.

8. Season 3- The fallout of the 1st classic 24 seasons 1-3 trilogy-

cons- It is slower than 2 but faster than 1. The sting operation doesn't make sense. Kyle singer doesn't make any sense. I get the part of busting Salazar out of jail, but Jack pretending to go after Kyle Singer doesn't make sense. What was the point especially since Tony gets shot by a member that was in on the coverup. There way too many questions here. There should had been more personal dialogue between Jack and Saunders. The political storylines except when Palmer is debating Keeler.

Pros- Joaquim de Almeida as Ramon Salazar; genius, its de Almeida being himself; watch Fast 5, Desperado, and Clear and Present Danger for references, The entire scene of Ramon just obsessing with killing Jack instead of chilling with beautiful naked mexican women on a jetplane is priceless,, Mexico, Nina, Chloe, Chase, Kim as an analyst, Sherry being Sherry, Jack kills Chappelle, Saunders, the hotel, Tony's betrayal/sacrifice. Jack breaks down. Death of Gael. Jack kills Nina. Chloe being Chloe, this season showcases how CTU operates really well.

7. Redemption - the setup for the not L.A. TRILOGY-

cons- short. not enough action/gunfights in the final hour.

Pros- I like the idea of Jack in Africa doing the whole Missing in Action 3 storyline of saving children from the baddies. (minus a bridge being blown up naturally), Benton, Jacks relationship with Willie (very touching), Dubaku, Juma, Trammell, the old administration interacting withe new, the new administration in general, EVERY SCENE and one liner with Jon Voight, This two hour adventure just seemed had the pieces glued together better than those listed above

.6. Season 4- the set up of the Super Jack trilogy- -

Cons- Marwan escapes again... but then again I consider that a plus... but I actually would have enjoyed if he didn't escaped that lst time and was transported to CTU. The CTU director daughter storyline.

Pros- It's fast and furious... though Jack driving around in the desert and robbing that gas station was tedious. Jack being Jack was awesome. The Mummy. Edgar saving the day. Mandy capturing Tony. Castle.. wished he would had survived. Curtis and Marianne. The multiple plots. Everything was tight about the season, I just wished they could had involved more McLennen-Forrester into the final episodes.

5. Live Another Day (For now) This is where it gets hard for me. Is LAD better than 8. Eights final episodes were more satisfying than LAD final eps. But what I need to do is watch the whole season back to back on blu-ray uninterrupted.

Cons-Too short.

Pros-Everything. Jack, Chloe, Belcheck, Chan, Audrey at her best; I find Audrey more attractive here than in the previous seasons; i think as Kim Raver gets older, she gets hotter. Heller, Margot, Simone, the action, the gunfight of Jack, kate, and the russians, jack vs Chan, Adrian Cross aka the villian from the Crow genius, the drones chasing jack, Steve Navarro as the mole, too many things to count.

4.Season 8 (For now) the fallout of the not in L.A. Trilogy- Seems like noone likes this season.
Cons- Dana’s boyfriend from the past storyline.

Pros- Dana as the mole. Dana’s facial mannerisms. Dana calling 911 and sounding like a scared child when Jack is in the bank. Freddie Prince Jr. as Cole Ortiz, Micheal Madsen, Chloe is the boss, Brian Hastings; almost as good as Bill, That’s Jack Bauer!, the political treaty storyline, Omar Hassan, the firefight with Jack’s team using bulletproof doors as shields, Sergei Bazhaev, Renee dark turn to the depression and suicide, Jack going on a rampage and trying to kill everyone, Arlow’s oneliner’s. Renee’s death, Suvarov is the bad guy, the firefight in the tunnel, suicide terrorist, the soundtrack is one of the best,

3. Season 7- The Main Event of the not in L.A. trilogy- This is the beginning of the golden standards of 24.

Cons- Alan Wilson not knowing who Jack and Tony are if he is the one who ordered the hit on David Palmer. Doesn’t make any sense.

Pros- Jack on Trial. Ike Dubaku. Jack vs Tony, every emotional conversation between Jack and Renee, Pres. Taylor, Juma slapping Taylor; shocking scene, Jon Voight being Jon Voight, the conspiracy, the music, the white house attack, Chloe vs Janis, Tim Woods, Sean Hillinger, Ehan Kanin, Jack vs Quinn, Alan Wilson’s conspiracy, Larry Moss, there is too many to count.

2. Season 5- the main event of the SuperJack trilogy- a season to end all seasons-

Cons-none, but I wish Jack would had interacted more with Bierko, didn’t have that one on one face to face moment like he usually has with almost every villian,

Pros-Everthing, but highlights are … Robocop is the bad guy. Logan, Airport russians, palmer death, Chloe coming out of the bathroom, sentox nerve gas, the blu-tooth gang, everyone des, trhis list would tke forever.

1. Season 2- the main event of the classic 24 trilogy. – this is the GOLD standard. Every season copies this one.

Cons- they screwed up the ending by not following up to it in season 3. They should had kept Nina as working for Max. Everyone got so pissed off that they made 24:the game aka season 2.5 . Thank goodnes, that they did not do the same thing with season 4, 5, or 6. What if Jack had came back and they just in a short sentence that Jack was traded for something and that Cheng wasn’t involved. It’s three years later, and jack is fine; no consequences. Producers are like; “We can’t have plots that bleed into the next season; they have to be self-contained;. Or in season 5 Jack was working for CTU with no explnation…. Any way.

Pros- everything. Chappelle, Tony and Michelle, Kate Warner, Kate sister is the bad guy,Sherry is part of the conspiracy, the political storyline is part of the threat storyline, JIGSAW is the badguy, Corral snake, Syed Ali, Mason sacrifices himself, the music, the bomb, the trial of David Palmer, Agent Baker, too many pros to count.

More+
Flag
Has everybody forgotten how horrendous everything with Kim was in season 2? Season 2 is great overall but it's hard to put it at the top of the list when one of the major subplots that continues through the entire season was F- material and the cougar was the least of that subplots worries basically all of was awful
Flag
Woah that's a lot of words. Here's my simple ranking
5&1&3&LAD;&2&4&7&Redemption;&Shit;&&8&6
If you want, i can explain why i put what i did where i did.
Flag
I just like to write.....
Flag
Haha, yeah i can tell.
Flag
As I like the days with palmer and day 8 as the best, day 1 was very hard (and I almost didn't make it) to get through as his whole family story was boring and old. I mean seriously, how many times does your family have to be kidnapped before you get the hint???? And than in day 2 with his daughter playing adventures in baby sitting (see what I did there?) Was like a root canal that went bad.
Flag
Hold on, that sh*tfest that was season 8 is your favorite, but the mastrpiece of a first season is your least favorite, is that what your saying?
Flag
I have to agree with day 1 being lower on the list than 8
Flag
Day 8 was just terrible. Honestly im tempted to put it lower than Day 6. It was just so stupid and boring. The Dana Walsh plotline is one of hte single worst things ive ever seen in TV, and i watch A LOT of TV. Katee Sackhoff is a great actress though. Jacks rampage was cool, but it still doesnt save a boring ass season.
Flag
While I agree about dana, jacks rampage was great I thought. And with all that family being kidnapped a record 33 times in 24 episodes was the worst, most boring crap I have watched so yes season 8 was better than day 1. Really a master piece???
Flag
I like Day 1&2 because the gang is alive and complete (never really cared much about Jack's wife). Day 5 is something that broke my heart and I'm not sure I looked at 24 the same way again.
Flag
I always thought 2,3,4 were the best. 24 with David Palmer as President and Jack getting support from the likes of Tony, Michelle and Chloe. Doesn't get any better.
Flag
Probably something like:
Flag
Haven't watched season 9 yet, and skipped Redemption.

From worst to best (ranks 8 to 5 were easy, the four best are miles ahead):

season 8 - the whole Dana-subplot (and do-goody-boyfriend Prinz jr... urgh) just didn't make any sense, then the president losing her morals (while realistic didn't fit with her character at all), the president letting Logan dictate what she's doing (Logan... traitor!Logan???), Jack's rampage at the end... WTF? And trying to justify it by saying he wanted to bring the whole conspiracy to light? Sorry, I understand his grief but this went too far.

season 3 - drug cartels are a major turn-off for me, then there was Kim and the whole Palmer love-hate triangle (which was the only memorable plot around Palmer that season)... highlight: Nina finally getting what she deserved

season 7 - good points: Renee, Jack having to confront his mortality, the president - overall: didn't have as much impact, and the White House siege and villain!Tony didn't work for me at all.

season 6 - I know there's not much love for that season, but I really liked the beginning with broken!Jack and the first few episodes, I loved Wayne Palmer, I liked the 2nd half drama learning about Audrey... Of course, it could have been better: there were no aftermaths of the atomic bomb, Jack went from broken back to superhero within a few seconds, the usual CTU-intrigues, but overall I have fonder memories of that season than the so far mentioned other 3.

Now it's really getting hard because every season had its high points and lows.

season 2 - loved the plot around Palmer (especially loved to see Michelle Forbes), loved to see Jack rally after Teri's death, loved Michelle and Tony but despised everything surrounding Kim which pulled the whole season down.

season 1 - set up the new series and format brilliantly. Loved Jack and the way he had to think on his feet and not yet cross as many moral boundaries. Nina!!! Palmer!!! Liked the personally devastating endings for Palmer and especially Jack, but didn't care so much for Teri and Kim

season 5 - very exciting season overall, hate Logan, hate the fact that all the likable characters were killed off but it had me consistently on the edge of my seat.

season 4 - still had Michelle, Palmer and Tony, no Kim so that's the highlight. I also liked Jack/Audrey, so that's why this season pulls ahead of season 5 but as I said it depends on my mood which season takes the crown.
More+
Flag
Having seen season 9 now (what an ending!), I'd put that in the best five, possibly between season 1 and 2 or even before season 1. If there hadn't been the usual mole-subplot it would have ranked higher, definitely. But the main plot felt over with episode 9. Audrey, Heller and Jack in episode 12 made up for a loth, though.
Flag
my least favorite season was 5 it just was really really really BAD 3 is my favorite

Flag
just my opinion
Flag

The second half of Day 8 was as good as any of the best seasons. But the first half was as bad as Day 6. Returning to CTU was a terrible idea.
Flag

I don't think it's fair to throw Redemption in for comparison. All it was supposed to be was simply an enlarged prequel for season 7. I enjoyed it for what it was, I didn't try to make it out to be something much larger. The whole idea of Jack Bauer in Africa was a good one.
Flag
Day 1 was the best because it was so personal and slow building. A formula hadn't been developed yet. The show didn't feel as though it was consumed with trying to keep topping itself.
Flag

I don't think they got any mileage out of the Bauer family drama. There was a goldmine of stories to pursue there (Graem could have been fantastic but all they did was keep torturing him, Jack's dad was so uninteresting and was supposed to be played by Donald Sutherland). So much potential wasted.
Flag
I really enjoyed Ricky Schroeder's performance. He was a similar, unhinged character like Jack. One of the few characters I liked that season.
Flag
While season one showed us how cool a one-day series could be, the story had a lot of low and irrelevant points. They learned how to do better with the format in season two but it wasn't until season three that the show hit a stride. From then forward it just kept getting better and better.
Flag
Day 4 FTW! definitely 2nd. I'll give you day 5 at #1. But the series definitely built in quality through season 5. Tony's comeback in season 4? AMAZING!
Season 1 was great but Teri ruined the season. Best part of the season was when she died, and Palmer told his wife to fuck off in a span of about 30 seconds. Jack and Palmer definitely had 100 problems. And the cougar is not a point in favour of season 2, they had no idea what to do with Elisha Cuthbert in season 2. (she got much better in season 3). While season 9 was solid, it didn't have Tony. Any Tony is the man. Marwan was underrated in the best villains as well. Should have been ahead of Logan, maybe even Nina.
Was Chloe with the automatic rifle season 4? or season 5? I've always loved Mary-Lynn Rashkub, but I don't I've ever been more attracted to her than in that moment.

Honorable mention to season 3, for what I think is still the most dramatic death, Jack Bauer having to execute Ryan Chappelle at the orders of the president?!? and the first no tick clock. Even after 10,000 deaths to more popular characters, this is definitely still the best death scene of the entire series.
More+
Flag
I quite agree with the ranking.
Flag
Best to worst:

5 - gripping season from start to finish. Only season that didn't really have a 'dull phase' (eg. amnesia, cougar).
4 - reasonably high quality throughout.
9 - nice new story (exception of last few episodes, which had a few previous elements)
2 - like season 1, slow start but fantastic in its prime. Development of George Mason was brilliant; his swansong arguably the best episode of the show.
1 - slow to start but once it got going it was fantastic. Obviously Nina the original mole and one of the biggest shocks in Teri's death.
3 - first half was absolutely terrible. Second half was one of the strongest arcs the show did. If only the first half had been as good, it'd have ranked higher.
8 - last 8 episodes a blast but meh to the rest.
7 - genuinely hate this season. Bringing back Tony as a villain is the biggest mistake the show ever made.
6 - less said about it the better
Redemption - see season 6 and multiply by 100.
Flag
I feel like I'm the only one that liked 24 redemption.
Flag
You are not alone.
Flag
Don't know which Day it was ... but the one, where they hijacked Heller, then had a amchine to bypass security, then had a stealth plane to shoot down the presdident for the nuclear football ... one of these things would have been hard to pull off ... but all of them together was unbelievable ...
The best one was Day 1 ... Assasination, then it turns out there was more behind it and then THE MOLE. Best by Far ...
I also liked the one with Kate Warner ... Mason paying the iron price for being cowardly and saving Jack ...
I liked to see "the hobbit" die ;-)

Flag
"The fat Hobbit...he knows" ;)
Flag
5- I really cant express how amazing this season is. Once you watch it, you'll understand.
1- It was original, it was gritty, and it waant packed with bullsh*t like most of the other seasons.
3- Yeah it was silly, but it was so much fun.
Live Another day- A fantastic return to form after the sh*tfests of seasons 6 and 8.
2- The Hacksaw, The Nuke, and The Cougar.
4- Lots of action, and a good villain, but simple, boring plot of "Marwan has an attack, we must stop it" Rinse and Repeat.
7- Lots of cool moments (White house siege) But way to crammed with villains and evil plots. And the last 6 episodes were extremely weak.
8- Such a boring season, im tempted to put it last. Dana was just terrible
6- Good first 4 episodes. Thats about it.
Flag
Yay! I was hoping you guys would do this article.

Here's my rankings and why -

1 - Jack's origin and beginning of his evolution. &3itforever
2 - Mason's redemption and Jack needs a hacksaw.
5 - Plot twists and character deaths.
4 - All around solid season, has a blockbuster movie feel.
3 - Fun but ridiculous season. Chappelles death..wow. NINA IMU
7 - Return of Tony, Renee is awesome, White House attack & BILL IMU
8 - Renee is awesome, Jack unhinged, LOL Logan, UGH DANA WALSH.
9 - Concise solid season. Has room to move up after a rewatch.
Redemption - Not terrible. Benton was cool. Very "meh"
6 - Had some great moments (vamp bite, nuke) and badd family drama
Flag
Season 6 may suck as whole but the first four episodes of that season were some of the most intense and thrilling I've ever seen on TV.

Also. Wow. I guess I'm the only one that loved season 7.

Flag
One thing you cannot ever accuse 24 of not having is balls. When looking though this show it has had some absolutely absurd characters and storyline. Easily one of the Top 10 shows of all time. despite the ups and downs. I cant really gauge them 5 was the best 6 was the worst 8 was boring but had its moments.

Seasons 1-2 were fresh and new (Teri death and first 13 or so eps of season 2)
Season 3 (around the time nina comes back and Michelle shooting an innocent in the hotel)
Season 4 ( Marwans plans had plans that had schemes. Convolution aside he was a good villain)
Season 5 (Palmer, Tony and Michelle dead within 15minutes need i say more)

Season 6 ( Oh dear. first 3 eps were good then dumbness ensued. Jacks family=FAIL, Mike Doyle loooooooool...Nadia and Bill were Ok)
Season 7 (Very underrated in my view, was pretty solid throughout, different setting and a returning Tony and i liked the president in this one.
Season 8 ( Boring, last eight episodes lool whut !! Renee was below the belt. Heartbreaking).
Season 9 (Very focused arcs. really enjoyed it. Still absurd and silly but that is part of the fun after all this time.._
Season 10_ ?????
More+
Flag
Season 5 definitely top of the list; it started with an assassin gunning down all of Jack's closest friends and from then on you just knew you were in for something special.
For me, number 2 would be the 3rd season, with the virus being released in the hotel and the dark road 24 went down when Jack was forced to murder Ryan Chapelle.
Flag
So many awesome moments and days. I can't really choose between them. However any day that includes David Palmer is high on my list!
Flag
The first half of season 3 was hilarious and random, watching Jack kick Heroin and super agent Kim. BUT once we got fully immersed into the Stephen Saunders storyline and Michelle at the hotel, it instantly turns the season into top 3 material. Tony's decisions and the ramifications it brings into the following season only amplify the epicness of S3. Plus, who doesn't love good ol' fashioned germ warfare? Hahaha!

Season 5 was a heartbreaking masterpiece that definitely earned the top spot. Not many people will argue that point.

Like most long running shows it had it's highs and lows, but overall it adds up to 24 being one of the greatest television shows in history. And if Live Another Day was the last time we see Jack Bauer (I hope not!!), at least we can be happy knowing this season was great and it went out on an extremely solid, albeit tragic, note...

Can't say the same about shows like Dexter. Unfortunately.
Flag
I'm more inclined to agree with the results of the poll (so far) than with you. To me, the choice is between seasons 1 and 5, because in contrast to most of the other seasons, the emphasis was more on how quick-witted Jack was rather than on how far he was willing to go.
Flag
Season 5 in a blowout. And Gregory Itzin was awesome - let's not forget Jean Smart as his Cougar wife (no - not that cougar). She was amazing.
Flag
Staff
Season 10 is actually going to be the backstory about the cougar's wife.
Flag
Good good. I like it. Martha the cougar and an actual cougar team up in a plot to find the piece of tech that can control, um ...

THE MOON!

Yeah. That's it! Their plot to bring attention to the plight of the cougar (both kinds)
Flag
"I look like a wedding cake." *splash*

...The moment I knew Martha was awesome.
Flag
Logan was such a jowlly, cowardly douche. Martha was way too hot and awesome for him
Flag
Agreed. You knew he was bad news by his reaction when he found out that President Keeler was shot down. Even Mike was wary of him right from the get-go. Though none of us could have imagined how far his actions and conspiracies would reach throughout the series.
Flag
Gregory Itzin really nailed it
Flag
Reading this list makes me realise how AMAZING 24 is. So many memorable moments, so many great characters, so many twists and turns, so many deaths that rival the likes of LOST & GoT. just an epic TV show that should get more credit no matter how ridiculous it could be at times

My list would be:

10. Redemption
9. Day 6
8. Day 7
7. Day 8
6. LAD
5. Day 2
4. Day 4
3. Day 1
2. Day 3
1. Day 5 (By A Landslide)

I want to watch it from the beginning now....
Flag
I agree that Redemption shouldn't be on the list, so I would have to go (best to worst) 5,1,2,4,3,9,7,8,6. (ugh)
Flag
10) Redemption (i saw it once and it was really forgettable)
9) Day 8 (it has its moments like Pressident Hassan and Renee's assassination but…)
8) Day 6 (not that bad. Curtis death and Fayed's demise was great.. the rest not so much)
7) Day 4 (Probably one of the most focused season of the show.. Really action packed and twist-y)
6) Day 1 (not my favorite but is was a really great season especially the first half)
5) Live Another Day (GREAT!)
4) Day 3 (The back half was just incredible)
3) Day 7 (Great season. Not "Day 5" level but really great)
2) Day 2 (24 became a legend with that season)
1) Day 5 (The masterpiece)

Flag
Day 5 is my least favorite. Killing and death doesn't make everything cool. But that's probably because I'm not a religious moron.
Flag
I'm an Atheist and I put Day 5 at #1. My reasons have nothing to do with having some kind of hardon for death, but there are plenty of Atheists who do feel that way.
Flag
What the hell? What religious people think death is cool?
Flag
"Religious morons" find killing and death cool? What in the blue hell are you on about?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Audrey died, this show sucks, nuff said. (yes still bitter)
Flag
I hated Audrey. She just irritated the hell out of me in seasons 4 and 5. But i'd be lying if i said her death didnt just utterly crush me.
Flag
No mention of Johnny Drama in season 1. Glad he was able to get work haha Dammit Drama, Victory!!!!!!
Flag
He was in season 2, he rescued Kim for the infamous cougar
Flag
"From"
Flag
True I forgot. She was running away from the nuke haha
Flag
10: Day 6
9: Day 8
8: Day 4
7: Redemption
6: Day 3
5: Live Another Day
4: Day 7
3: Day 5
2: Day 2
1: Day 1

Day 1 was the last day when people seemed to get tired over night.
Day 1 was the last day when sunrise and sunset meant something to the show.
Day 1 was actually about ethics and ideals as much as action and suspense. Palmer was just as effective as Bauer. It seems crazy now but in Season 1 24 actually had a West Wing-like quality in the Palmer scenes, and clearly Kim's best material was all used up in Season 1.
Day 2 was the other good Palmer day, not as effective as Day 1 but the only other real Palmer day. Days 1 and 2 to me seemed the best examples of telling one continual story over 24 episodes (even though Season 2 achieved this by stalling Jack for what must have been almost half the season). Later seasons were really just episodic tales of random bad guys showing up with plans that had no direct connection with the previous bad guy's plan.
Flag
And where do you go from detonating a nuclear bomb on U.S. soil if you're continually trying to up the ante? I wish Stephen Hopkins had returned as a director at some point.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
There is no need to rank anything. This is by far the best thing on tv. Please come back for season 10
Flag
For me (best to worst) it's 5,9,7,4,2,1,8,3,6
Flag
I'm not bothering with Redemption because it's too much of an apples and oranges thing to work into a list. Worst to best:

For the longest time I insisted that day 1 was the best, but if I'm to be honest, it's really only the first half that is arguably better than day 5. Part of it has to do with the fact that it was plotted in such a way as to wrap up the Gaines storyline to give viewers partial closure in case it wasn't given a full season order, so it took a turn plot-wise halfway through instead of 2/3 to 3/4 of the way, and part of it was the good old having to fill 24 episodes. Thus we have the great first half in which Jack is stuck between a very sharp rock and a very hard place and then the more uneven second half in which Teri gets amnesia, Kim gets in the middle of a drug sting and the Drazens do plan B after telling Gaines that that wasn't an option, but which also had its moments, particularly towards the end.

Day 3. Daaaay 3. The first major twist threw out the entire first quarter of the show, then it worked its way up the hierarchy of increasingly unintimidating villains. Then there's the copout of having Saunders broken in a way that Jack said would never work against the Salazars. Oh, and Jack didn't kick heroin in 24 hours, it was more like 8. Ramon Salazar gave him some aspirin and that was the last we saw of the shakes.
More+
Flag
"The first major twist threw out the entire first quarter of the show"

I meant the first quarter of the season.
Flag
My problem with day 4 is that just too much stuff happens in the way of Marwan's plan. Although it added Baroozing to the vocabulary meaning to introduce a character, then have no one talk about them again. And they did that to the gorram president after AF1 was shot down and he was technically alive. It is really infuriating, but he's replaced by that weasel Logan, so not all bad. One of the hardest deaths is still Edgar in day 5 because he is so close and yet no one can help him.
Flag
ya the countdown is as much similar as mine though i would have day 4 in the top three just because it is the season that set the whole story line for all the remaining seasons, that attack on the chineese consulate is still the reason for all the events leading up to the live another day finale, but ya day 5 is the best and most acclaimed 24 season it had everything twists, action, great story telling, great cast, saddest moments, great music composition by sean callery as always.....
Flag
Follow this Show
Members