We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A 24 Community
FOX (ended 2010)

24: Live Another Day S09E04: "2:00 PM-3:00 PM"

Well, how about that? Last week's episode of 24: Live Another Day featured quite a bit of movement, particularly of the chasing variety, and yet it still was a bit boring. This week, Jack spent more than 30 minutes sitting at a computer terminal near a landline phone, and it was the most thrilling hour we've seen since Live Another Day debuted. Not only was "2:00 PM-3:00 PM" a fine reminder that 24 is capable of making stationary moments seem exciting and intense, it also—and more importantly—started to reveal how the shorter episode order will change the trajectory of the narrative.

While the first half of this hour efficiently and effectively moved Jack through the American embassy and to Lt. Tanner's keycard, it was that second half that really merged the episodic story with the ongoing plot. Suddenly, Jack had the information he needed to "prove" Tanner's innocence, Chloe struggled to convince Open Cell that helping Jack was the right thing to do, Kate and Erik and the military were closing in, and Mark had no choice but to finally inform President Heller and Audrey of what's been going on in London with Jack and the drone threat. 

The triumph of this episode was how well each little story worked on its own while also really crystallizing the bigger picture. 24 has tried to tell stories about a "different" Jack a few times over the years, but Live Another Day has underscored that archetype even more emphatically. This is a Jack Bauer who doesn't kill; instead he chokes dudes out relatively gracefully and painlessly and makes sure they're wearing vests so he can just pop them safely in the chest. Thus far, he hasn't even been especially interested in any personal benefit of his mission. He wants to prevent the attack, and he's willing to be taken into custody to do so. Nevertheless, this is also a Jack who recognizes how royally he's been used and screwed by the United States and its various agencies and armed forces. While there's a lot of value in a Jack Bauer who is purely out for revenge or blood, I'm enjoying this almost subdued, more direct version of the character. Even the way he calmly assured the hostages that he wouldn't hurt them, and that it was all a show, was kind of great. If Day 8 Jack Bauer was completely unhinged, it sort of feels like this version has been re-hinged, or something.

This episode also got quite a lot of milage out of the history between Jack and the Raines family, even in just a few short scenes. Both William Devane and Kim Raver did fine work in personifying the confusion of learning that Jack is back, but also the matter of how to progress with him in the fold in London. Though the two didn't have much time to reestablish their characters' connections to Jack, they made the best of it. There's something to be said for actors who make speakerphone conversations between people in other buildings seem dramatic and important. Devane, Raver, and Kiefer Sutherland all did that here.

Chloe and Kate's respective stories haven't been particularly successful so far, but they're mostly a product of the time jump and the show's willingness to beat fairly simple exposition into the ground. Did you guys know that Kate couldn't see the truth about her husband and it's possible that she'll never be good at her job again? And did you also know that Chloe joined Open Cell, an organization that released upwards of 30,000 intelligence documents to the web, endangering thousands of agents on the ground? Those beats have been pretty sloppy, no doubt. Yet, they're just fine enough, and driven by solid performances from Mary Lynn Rajskub and Yvonne Strahovski, that there's not too much to complain about. Strahovski's Kate is the type of character that 24 loves to create, so the fact that she clearly believes Jack with only some evidence is something we're going to have to run with.

Perhaps most surprising of all is not what this episode got right, but what it didn't get wrong. Mark and Erik—the season's two obviously slimy, antagonistic characters—have been as neutral and even-handed as can be, given the context. As the situation with Jack started to unravel in this episode, Mark did the right thing by informing President Heller and Audrey, and then following up with a mostly fair argument about the things Jack has reportedly done. Did he push a little hard about Jack's maneuvering to free Chloe and her involvement in Open Cell? Sure he did. But as a voice of skepticism and fear over what a free, empowered Jack Bauer could do to an already fragile situation and family, Mark's assertions were believable and clear. 

Erik isn't much of a character yet, but this episode did right by him while Kate tried to take matters into her own hands with the hostage situation. He didn't submarine her subterfuge, but he also didn't lie to the military officers either. While he recognizes the possible issues with Kate's decision-making, he's also not trying to cut her down at every turn. Both of these characters could have been so much worse, and variations of them have been truly awful on 24. So this is a fine start. 

Above all else, though, it's impressive that Live Another Day managed to merge the majority of its early storylines in just four episodes, creating a series of great scenes that felt mostly earned. Everything fit together very well, despite some of the aforementioned sloppiness or exposition reliance that led to the showdown in the embassy. 24 has always known how to establish flimsy characters or circumstances just enough to make us care about them, but this kind of stuff used to take the show much longer to produce. In a normal season of 24, the last 20 to 30 minutes of this episode would've normally come in Episode 8 or Episode 12, not Episode 4. Live Another Day's ability to arrive at those cool moments so early, despite the shoddy stuff, is an impressive feat, and one that illustrates that the writers can absolutely expedite the familiar formula in a purposeful fashion. We're only a third of the way through this sucker, but the events of this episode definitely bode well for the rest of Live Another Day

COMM & CLASSIFIED FILES

– The stuff at the Al-Harazi hideout was a bit more detached from the rest of this week's proceedings, but that doesn't mean it wasn't as good. From the moment Naveed plotted to take Simone away from her mother, it was clear that things weren't going to go well. However, I'm not sure I expected Margot to have a thug hack off a chunk of her daughter's pinky just to make sure her son-in-law was committed to the cause. I guess after four years, I've forgotten how quickly the awful violence can set in on this show. 

– DAMMIT TRACKER: Still at one, right? Talk about playing it cool. KILL TRACKER: Nada. Jack definitely maimed at least four guys in this one, though, so he's got that going for him.

– As bad as some of the exposition has been in the first four weeks, I'm not sure anything can touch the porous scene between Navarro and Jordan at the CIA HQ. Not only did it manage to squeeze in a reference to Kate's husband, but Navarro had to blurt out that tech nerd Jordan couldn't think straight because of his feelings for Kate. Okay, sure. That's definitely going to lead to some productive places. 

What'd you think of Episode 4? Definitely a good sign for the show's ability to modify the story to suit the shorter format, right?

85 Comments
Comments (85)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
An interesting thing they've got right so far is Heller's Alzheimer's. He's having good streaks and bad streaks. He correctly attributed the quote about having enemies to Churchill just before his small victory in Parliament, which mirrored the moment in the first episode that kicked off that storyline when he attributed a quote to the wrong Roosevelt. But he's in the early stages, so they just need to watch that they don't overdo it and have Heller do Peanut Butter Jelly Time in front of Parliament.
Flag
What if Kate's husband is Chuck and the Intersect malfunktioned!?!
Flag
ROFLMAO@Dammit tracker
Flag
24 is lucking out with this season because it doesn't have to work that hard for us to believe it, we know almost all of the major characters from previous seasons so its not hard to know what's going to happen, but it is also taking the time to establish good new characters.
Flag
Heller never learns, he always makes the wrong decision at the wrong time even thought his gut is telling him to believe Jack. The fact that they keep harping on what a good agent Kate is but she wasn't good enough to know who her husband was, makes me suspect she knew exactly who her husband was. Glad 24 is back because as far as adventure tv, no series does it better.
Flag
Love Chloe's Gothic look, the only real concern in these 12 episodes that they do the cruelest thing possible to Jack, as we watch Chloe become the next Nina Myers... If I were Jack that would be the snapping point, although I am sure he would find the padded walls a surprising comfort.
Flag
A jaw dropping review... i suppose if it were an episode of grey's anatomy this would not happen. smh...
Flag
This episode was so much fun, I'm glad the series is getting into some good form. If you're sick of getting no love from the dammit tracker why not try the sunnavabitch tracker or the Kate-isn't-always-right-you-do-remember-she-was-wrong-about-her-husband tracker. Speaking of that I can't stop laughing every time they bring that up. Such a (unintentionally?) hilarious narrative conceit to let the CIA ignore everything she says for no reason.
Flag
"Mark and Erik—the season's two obviously slimy, antagonistic characters—have been as neutral and even-handed as can be, given the context."

Clearly they will develop into likeable characters in the next couple of hours, and then die.
Flag
This hour was so exciting and fast that when then clock came up for the end of the hour I was like, "THAT'S IT?" Great episode and some interesting stuff happened.

Cat Stark....I mean Margot is a crazy B****. Cutting your daughters pinkie off is down right cruel. I thought for sure she was just going to shoot the guy but wow. Loved that level of CRAZY!

Audrey now knows Jack is back. I'm glad they didn't waste time on this. I have no doubt that Mark is trying to protect his wife but he should trust her as well. His jealousy of Jack and the trust he has in his wife will be that relationship's undoing. Jack's phone call with Heller was awesome!
This was my favorite part:
Heller: I hear you just shot two people out in front of the Embassy.
Jack: I barely grazed them, sir.
Heller: How do you know that?
Jack: Because I pulled the trigger.
You can always trust Jack's wound analysis! Also I'm happy Jack said something about being screwed over.

I am really liking Kate, but I can't shake the feeling that she may be involved with what ever her husband was doing. However for now she is pretty cool. I'm a little disappointed that Heller didn't give Jack a chance but I think Kate and Jack teaming up will be more exciting. Plus this means Chloe can leave Open Cell and join back up with CTU (I'm sure Jack will insist). We do need a little more about what happened to Chloe so hopefully merging her back to her "roots" might be a good direction in getting that. I don't trust that Adrian Cross guy anyway.

Good times good ride can't wait until next week! :)
More+
Flag
Where's Cory's article?
Flag
haters gotta hate. still forever in love with 24.
(though, admittedly, I do have a problem with the fact that this season is only 12 episodes long, literally making the title of the show obsolete...)
Flag
I'm wishing it was a full season now because i'm loving it so much. Even after the time jumps later in the season, i still think a full 24 episode season is what made 24 so good despite having to suspend disbelief.
Flag

I think kate will be a mole
Flag
She has to be the prime suspect, good call.
Flag
Right now I'm more in the "her boss will be a mole, who helped frame her husband/made him take the fall" and so he's pretending to be all understanding and "she just made a mistake" one minute, and the moment she's actually being a superspy and kicking ass he's all "she's made of EPIC FAIL, don't forget!" to make sure nobody takes her seriously in case she uncovers the truth...
Flag
im thinking Kate framed her husband she seems sagacious and very strategic look at how she figured out jacks plan to get into the cia blacksite and we know how 24 likes its women nina anyone....
Flag
NINA! She was the worst/ best!
Flag
I like what you're saying there. So when you say her boss you mean Benjamin Bratt? I wasn't suspecting him until now! Everyone is a suspect! :)
Flag
I agree. She is super likable so my mole radar is up!
Flag
these people are so cynical jack has always remained a patriot he has always protected america are they going to tell us what happened to the female president ?so im guessing since they have a shorter season they will not do the 2 villians thing and a larger conspiracy after jack catches margot red head lady
Flag
Hmmm, something is wrong - I don't get the review, just an empty byline...
Flag
Phew, I am sorry but am a hopeless 24 addict. My toes like literally curl up while watching Jack! I promised myself I'll be more adult and dignified this time but the damn toes haven't stopped curling in fact its been worse since this episode. Jack is back.
The CIA Navarro and the president know more than the rest how many times Jack has saved his country.I find it puzzling they wont hear him out. But that is the pathos of the character. I love Chloe.

Flag
When Jack told Heller that his organization was the one to label him a Terrorist without giving him a chance to speak on the matter and then added it was something he feels he'd earned... I was angry for Jack. I wanted to reach in and throttle Heller. I'm used to Jack getting screwed over by Government and we just assume it's business as usual for him but to hear him say that out loud hurt...
Flag
Yeah, sure, he got screwed - but he also went on an unsanctioned killing spree for revenge, and that DOES have consequences, even for Jack.
Flag
The shorter season works fine. The stories are tight and none of it feels like a waste of time.

If 24 is going to continue, I think it would benefit from that. It kept me on the edge of my seat and an hour pass so quickly.

The cast are mostly great too!
Flag
Totally agree. Like Cory said above...Jack was sitting there for 20 minutes downloading something and it was just as exciting as watching him run around! They are doing a great job.
Flag

The feminists are killing off the good shows which had strong male casts by insisting more females get added. The females are given, as a poor fit, the part written for a male actor.

This is just taking good parts for men and giving them to woman for some liberal social experiment. Then you ask why are the strong action shows like Grimm failing. Even Big Bang about social awkward geeks has turned into Friends.

Nowadays we are trying too hard to please groups (not just women) who before didn't have a strong voice. They are trying too hard now not to exclude anyone, except the straight white male, who they have no problem bashing. I think it's being overdone.

Flag
You really are scared of strong women, aren't you?
It's really a shame, they can be very exciting, if you can get over your fear.
Flag
Only you would be thinking about feminism when watching a show as frivolous as 24. Anyway have you considered that some (but still easily the minority) of roles in 24 are cast as women because women are performing these roles in real life. The show is more credible if it reflects reality. Your preferred cast demographics is a deluded fantasy based on antiquated ideas.
Flag
Did your daddy leave you at an early age? Did mommy raise you by herself?

Have the men who watch this show, where the girl acts like a man, lost their sex drive?

Men like you who have been brain washed into the feminist equality lie are becoming androgynous and this is why men are portrayed as weak...

Nothing kills a show for me like tough guy woman detectives, there seems to be so many. Maybe I am a suspicious person, but I see this as social engineering going on. And since men are taught by society not to complain about such things, to be part of the vast silent majority in this country, I will speak up and say it is why less people are watching TV..

Too many good concept shows are ruined by giving the lead to a woman that would be better played by a man.

Flag
Of course the answer to all your questions is no but I didn't have to tell you that. Just keep living in your fantasy world that drifts farther and farther from reality.
Flag
Kate is Jack jnr. and I find that a bit too much at times. It's good if she believes him now but Heller's total disregard was ridiculous. Jack has never lied to him, and yet just after a drone fuck up of massive proportions, leading to an embarrassing speech etc,, Heller still thinks it's safer to neutralise Jackie boy? Yeah, let's pay attention to the jealous husband and right hand man who kept the President in the dark.
Kate thus far has disregarded her boss, assaulted her own and now indirectly disobeyed her President too. The marines all yielded to her too, what with that mental shoving guns away scene and saying he's a CIA prisoner. The change of who's authority it is is cray cray. I think Kate should've and/or would've been a 'victim' of friendly fire several times over by now. But alas no.
A single core processor machine in the US Embassy Com's room - we've got Benghazi tying up the line on Skype again. DAMMIT! I guess they're the only agency on the planet that couldn't get a sponsorship deal with Intel, AMD etc. and are using an old Sun unit. Apparently they also have unsecure systems and outside lines that require no access codes with no cut off points - what could go wrong?
It was obvious Margot was going to torture her daughter as soon as she said she'd have to threaten the thing Naveed cared most about. I was, however, surprised her daughter never twigged that. In any case, Naveed can simultaneously fly 10 drones at once? I think the military would've renditioned (or cloned him, oh, wrong series) Naveed years ago. But wait, the US has over a dozen drones at any one time over Europe? The Euro nations are all ok with this and have no defences to stop them? Is London going to have to dust off and raise their air balloon fleet from the blitz days? I can't wait to find out in the coming weeks - it's Flash Gordon endings ahoy!
More+
Flag
This show sure does require a lot of suspension of disbelief.
Flag
Yvonne is so fine. I'm not sure if I'm being blinded by her extreme gorgeousness but I really think she is nailing it. Jordan isn't the only one who can't think straight in the presence of Kate.
She dressed better in Chuck though. ;)

"A Designated Terrorist".
That is one hell of a phrase. Do they think they are playing baseball?

So far I think the shorter format is an improvement.
Flag
That she is.
Flag
A minor nitpick re:"This is a Jack Bauer who doesn't kill"

He didn't kill Americans who were just doing their jobs and weren't necessarily bad guys. That isn't any different than past seasons where he tried to avoid killing the innocent (even if he might wound them non-fatally, as he did this time around when he shot people to instigate the riot).
Flag
I hated how Navarro tells Jordan to be objective then follows up with Kate being possibly wrong because of her husband. That ISN'T objective, either.
Flag
Great episode, great review Cory. I disagree with you a little about Kate believing Jack with little to no evidence. Kate is quite similar to Jack, she is taking the history of his career into account with her assessment of him rather than just the context of the current problem. Jack was right when he told President Heller that he has never lied to him, it is true, there are people that Jack doesn't lie to in all of his missions. There is no reason why he would be lying. She can see through the issues forced on him and objectively assess whether he is telling the truth or not.
Flag
Yup, and also she doesn't necessarily believe him completely. She is rationally realizing that she can't rule out the possibility is he is telling the truth and lends enough credence to him to not dismiss the possibility out of hand. She realizes that the negative consequences if he is telling the truth argue for considering it, better safe than sorry. She also likely sees that the idea he is lying doesn't seem to match the evidence very well.
Flag
there have been two dammits. first episode and the second.
Flag
Dammit, I missed the second one!
Flag
I never really liked Chloe and this semi-Goth version is not helping!
Flag
I keep having to remind myself it's only 24 hours, as I hope Chloe will change her appearance. Act your age love!
Flag
Um, have you looked at your avatar lately?
Flag
I always liked Chloe but I agree with you completely about the goth version of Chloe. It just looks bad and silly and actually like a 40 something year old trying to fit in to something. I could get behind it if it was for social camouflage but the episodes are cut to 12 and they can't explain that in any depth.
Flag
Did anybody alert Guinness about that sleeper hold in the opening sequence? Jack put that dude down faster than he can say "Don't Fight It". Now we know what he's been doing the last 4 years, perfecting that sleeper. We've seen a behind the back version and now a 5 second version. I bet he can do it in his sleep now.
Flag
I sniggered at that too. I guess it's time constraints because it obviously takes longer to clear the average bonse of oxygen and constrict sheet!
Flag
One episode is not enough to be able to enjoy 24. Already waiting for the next episode.
Flag
Cory, you're right about Chloe's and Kate's stories. However, at this point when these issues are mentioned once or twice an episode, I'm starting to doubt what we know about these stories altogether. The look on Navarro's face at the end of his back-and-forth with the tech guy, makes me think there's something else to the story about Kate's husband. I expect him to either pop up before the end of the season or for it to be revealed that he was set up.

I have to disagree with your take on Mark, though. His whole argument reeked of desperation to keep the President and Audrey under his control. At this point, he's very convincing as the guy who will potentially betray everyone, therefore providing the mandatory twist for a season of 24.
Flag
I get the feeling that Kate wasn't fooled at all and that her husband will turn out to be a double agent for the U.S.
Flag
definitely best one yet.
Flag
"Mark [has] been as neutral and even-handed as can be, given the context. Mark did the right thing by informing President Heller and Audrey, and then following up with a mostly fair argument about the things Jack has reportedly done."

Wait, what? Neutral and even handed? I'm pretty sure forging the President's signature on an extradition order falls WELL outside the realm of "neutral and even handed".

"DAMMIT TRACKER: Still at one, right?"

Are we even watching the same show???
Flag
Fun episode. It's gotta be good when the only complaint I have is that I'm getting tired of closeups of Chloe's face.
Flag
Best episode yet! That was hella entertaining!
Flag
I wasn't bored once by this episode. Whether slow or fast, 24 is a very enjoyable show nonetheless. Jack is pretty much the victim of unfortunate circumstance in every season, and this season is no different. I loved how he talked to everyone in this episode, especially President Heller about being branded a terrorist. That still pissed me off big time from season 8.
Flag
"...the history between Jack and the Raines family..."

I think you mean Jack and the Heller family. Raines was Audrey's husband's last name, and she's since dumped it now that she's married to Mark. Unless you think that Paul Raines' family is out for blood ever since Jack was responsible for Paul's death over 10 years ago (in the world of the show).
Flag
DAMMIT CHLOE!!!!!!
Flag
Can someone explain to me why they haven't temporary disable the drones directly, cut the fuel lines or hell at least defuel them, at least why they deal with the current situation and do a full security assessment of the drone system.
Flag
I would like an explanation as to why there are dozens of fully armed drones over Europe.
Flag
dramatic license to advance the plot - armed drones are mission-specific. One or two as long-range defense over NATO HQ if SACEUR is in residence, but other than that, not gonna happen.
Flag
same here.
Flag
Because at this stage nobody but Jack believes the attack is a fact.
Flag
we've seen the clone control machine - no one else has. Jack believes it exists, but military doesn't want to believe their systems are hackable, and politicians are naturally risk-averse to theories.

Flag
which is starting to wear thin itself.
Flag
You shouldn't trust Kate on this, did you know that she was wrong about her husband?
Flag
Great episode.
I'm loving the lack of a body count.
All the characters seem more realistic that in the latter previous seasons.
The dialogue also is better than we've seen in a while. The shorter season really is forcing them to trim the fat.
Flag
The way they keep bringing up Kate's husband I have a feeling its not all that it appears to be
Flag
Definitely.
Flag
I think she's a double agent. If she's supposedly this good then her husband wouldn't have fooled her.
Flag
My bet is the Evil Mastermind set up her husband to turn her into the perfect patsy for his unnecessarily convoluted scheme... Right now she's the only one who trust Jack the fugitive, a couple episodes from now, Jack will be the only one who trusts Kate the fugutive.
Flag
Or maybe she wasn't fooled and her husband is now under as a double agent. Maybe that's a bit far-fetched.
Flag
Unless her husband is better agent than she is.
Flag
i think it was awesome, 24 lad has managed to rekindle the magic of old. the best thing from this episode was audry and heller finding out about jack kinda reminds me of day 5 premier
Flag
I'm still digging the return, but it's missing something. 24 feels a little bland without a real standout character like Charles Logan or David Palmer. It's coasting in solid B+ range; here's hoping it pushes the limits a little more in coming weeks.
Flag
yup - I keep waiting for Stephen Frye to bust out.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members