A 24 Community
FOX (ended 2010)

24: Live Another Day S09E10: "8:00 PM-9:00 PM"

For a big returning show, 24: Live Another Day has been relatively restrained in its deployment of familiar faces. Now to be fair, the 24 universe isn't necessarily chock-full of surviving interesting or beloved characters, but the "core four" of Jack, Chloe, and the Hellers was certainly enough to keep long-time fans tethered to the past. While we could debate whether or not some of the new characters in Live Another Day have been that great, the show deserves some credit for making a real effort to develop Kate, Navarro, Cross, Mark, and the Al-Harazis. Even references to the past have been kept mostly to a minimum throughout the majority of this 12-hour season. 

Of course, when you keep that kind of stuff to a minimum, it makes it all the more effective when you decide to whip it out in cool moments. That happened in "8:00 PM-9:00PM" with the sizable reveal that Cross' secret partner/connection in China is Cheng Zhi, one of the show's most notable and deplorable villains. In retrospect, as soon as the show mentioned the word "China" all the way back in the premiere, I should have been thinking about Cheng's probable involvement. But again, Live Another Day made great use of the shiny new villains in its arsenal, distracting us (or at least me) with Margot, Cross, Navarro, and even the Russians so I wouldn't consider how it'd circle back to the Chinese element in the story. 

Zhi's sneaky return worked very well as a pure surprise, but within the context of the episode, it was even better. Earlier portions of the episode went to moderate lengths to illustrate that Cross wasn't necessarily an out-and-out monster, but someone with a real—and on some level, honorable in theory—cause that took that cause too far, endangering the lives of billions of people in hopes of proving a point about the military industrial complex, governmental power, and secrecy. For a moment, you could at least buy why Chloe might go along with Cross' nefarious plans, even if it meant actively working against Jack; and when she tried to run, that made sense too, because it's Chloe and she's awesome. But once Cheng and his cronies blew through that door, put two bullets through Cross, forced Chloe to reconfigure the device, and sent a false directive to a U.S. submarine to attack one belonging to the Chinese, moral grey areas were gone. Live Another Day upgraded from the odd pseudo-honorability of Margot and Cross to FULL-ON VILLAINY of one of the show's most monstrous figures. The stakes were properly raised, all hell broke loose, etc. 

Cheng's reemergence came with that noted double-cross of Cross (ah, how ironic, right?), who himself had screwed over Navarro earlier in the episode. As one of the nation's greatest poets Stone Cold Steve Austin once said, "D.T.A.: Don't Trust Anybody." 24's real-time structure often means that we the audience get to see the scheming and plotting before the recipient of said actions does, which can limit the impact once they finally come down. Here however, the screw jobs appeared in the moment, without our prior knowledge and thus they had a little more shock value. For a show that's pulled out any number of hilarious tricks over the years, the last few weeks have really been able to sneak some wild or surprising things into the story. That's admirable. 

With Cheng back in the picture, Live Another Day has so many different directions it could go in the last two hours. The sub-on-sub attack means that the show has the big WORLD WAR IS COMING tapestry to play with, even if it doesn't have the budget to really display anything of scale in that regard. But the attack did at least signal that the override device does in fact have power; now, there's even more reason for Jack to shut Cheng down, probably once and for all. And that's the other thing, right? There's so much history between not only Jack and Cheng but the Hellers and Cheng that this is really the perfect villain for 24 to trot out again. Now, he's pulled Chloe into his web of terror, forcing her to be culpable in an act that could jumpstart a global war that even Jack couldn't stop.* While the first villain of the season, Margot, had a real personal feud with President Heller, that pales in comparison to the bad blood we're dealing with now.  

Jack finished this hour trapped in a firefight with the Russians, who were of course notified of his location by a frustrated, terrified Mark (and who again continues to be just scummy enough without falling into lame, stereotypical territory). Suddenly, Jack now has to deal with his two biggest ghosts, Cheng and the Russians, meaning Live Another Day turned into more of a real sequel to the last 3-4 years of the initial eight-year 24 run than originally thought. The good news is that this is a summer sequel that we all want to see. 

COMM & CLASSIFIED FILES

– THANK GOODNESS you guys, I thought we were going to get out of the season without a big torture sequence where a criminal pleads for a signed immunity deal from the president while Jack decides to break some bones instead. That whole series of scenes with Jack chasing down Navarro and both Jack and Kate taking their runs at him in the CIA HQ was really good. Kate was sidelined a bit in the middle of the season, but Yvonne Strahovski worked in a good performance tonight as her character started to lose it once she learned of Steve's involvement in her husband's arrest. The last of those scenes, with Kate pointing a gun at Steve and ready to pull the trigger as Jack stormed in trying to control the situation, was especially strong. And again, Navarro was weirdly cooperative, without the deal. He even put a tracking device on the override, somehow. (I'd love to know when/how he did that, but OK show.) Yet another villain with some shading. 

– Was anyone else jolted back to 2003 when Jack yelled about the WEAPON OF MASS DESTRUCTION with such verve? 

– Erik is now in charge with Navarro in custody. He was immediately bullied by Jack, so he's the most recent in a long line of agency middle management who can't be contained by the Bauer Power, and rightfully so.

– DAMMIT TRACKER: One dammit this week! KILL TRACKER: Jack definitely popped one of the Russians after the car accident, and could have killed another. He's killed like, what, 9-10 people thus far? So under control this (half) day. 

– Speaking of, I guess we're really never going to take advantage of the shorter episode order to jump around in time, huh? There's probably going to be a jump ahead for the final hour, but that was a weird thing to chatter about before the season began if they weren't going to do it. 

What'd you think of this episode's big return? And how will Jack stop Cheng's latest plan?

71 Comments
Comments (71)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Navarro, Jack and Kate scenes where all well done. Navarro literally running into someone who just so happened to have an automatic weapon in the middle of nowhere waas unintentionally hilarious

Marc continues to interest as he has clearly noticed Audrey's 'splishing' over Jack.

Cross the double crosser, got double crossed and then crossed out. lol.
That little bit about him lying to Chloe about her Families death was heartbreaking, but somehow his delivery allowed you to feel 1% sympathetic for him, i think he actually did love her in a warped way .
Although the expression on Chloes face quickly erased any sympathy for him as we and she realized shes bought into his whole organization and the man himself on a lie.

and......FUCKING CHENG RETURNED. How did i not see this coming. Of all the characters to bring back Cheng did not even cross my mind..But he has ties to Audrey and Jack and basically destroyed both there lives. Not to mention he does love to cause chaos for no apparent reason. Love that his face is still scarred up. He was ruthlessly efficient in this episode. His plan also is extreme so he is quite the threat.

Didnt like how Jack and Kate survived with not even a scratch..Although it made her badass that she is also inheriting his overall Bauerness.
Next ep looks insane.
More+
Flag
Apparently, London is still under curfew at this point, so an automatic weapon carrying soldier isn't really too hilarious.
Flag
Not the Soldier carrying the weapon. Navaro just happening to run straight into him, providing him with the exact thing he needed at that moment was.
Flag
Episode 12 is titled, "Day 9: 10:00 p.m. - 11:00 a.m." There's your time jump.
Flag
Great episode! One of my favorites for this 'day.' Kudos to the writers. There were twists and surprises I didn't see coming. Kate kicks butt! Thought 24 would go back over familiar territory and she would kill a baddie (Navarro). The setup to get him to talk was perfect.

Adrian's double-cross was slimy, but he sure got his comeuppance. I had thought Jack was going to end up shipped to Russia, but that doesn't seem too likely. He and Kate were remarkably unscathed from that big truck though. Cheng was a total surprise as a bigger baddie (one more to come, next season?). I hope there is a second 12-episode arc with him in it. 24 takes liberties with travel times (have to) and some plot points. Question: if Adrian is double-crossing Cheng, why would he tell him about his new location, unless Cheng was watching him (even though the CIA didn't know his whereabouts).
Flag
Best Episode of any TV show EVER. Period!
Flag
I think having the Cheng is perfect especially with the past the Hellers have. I'm interested as to why Cheng had then US fire on the Chinese. Yes to start a world war but what does he benefit from it? Oh and where is TONY?!
Flag
Think it's pure revenge, making him a parallel to Jack. Both are extremists that have been deemed criminals by their governments, but whereas Jack rises above that and still tries to protect America, Cheng is bitter about being betrayed by his country (his last line in season 6 showed his faith in not being abandoned like Jack, after all, but we're told he was thrown in prison to rot).
Flag
That was... intense. Russians! Chinese! Explosion! Mass murder! Plus captured Navarro and dead Cross. Enjoyable, if naturally silly with how fast they reconfigured the override device (handy of Chloe to have been around) and had the US sub take out the target.

Kudos for bringing out a character from the series' past in the form of Cheng. A nice surprise.
Flag
very good episode all so there wont be no time jump i do think that it will be a 12 hour season left on a clif hanger 2nd season will be a part to of season 1 with the last 12 hours done like that
Flag
so where did Navarro put this tracker? they have yet to tell us what happened to the female president and the other debacles
Flag
I am certain mark could have told the president he forged his signature he is after all his daughter's husband we all now the most effective thing in government is nepotism
Flag
Kate really impressed me I thought she was going to get emotional and kill Navarro I am glad the writers recognized not all women are the same or react to situations emotionally.
Flag
Navarro demanded full immunity only. Silly of him. He should've demanded immunity, a million dollars, an airplane, the Congress medal of honor, a Jennifer Lopez autographed picture, and a date with Amber Heard.

Flag
Cheng's the perfect returning victim since he ties into both Jack and the Hellers. Think Mark will want to take him on like he's tried to do with Jack? Not with someone's else courage...Meanwhile Jack-Kate or KJack as they'd be known in the tabloids are bonded for life over their guilt about spouses. The show's makeup artist did a heavy number on the Chloe eyeliner, but it made sense as things got worse. http://tvruckus.com/2014/07/01/24-live-another-day-800-900-pm-the-nukes-come-out/
Flag
Great episode and Cheng is probably the best choice of a big bad to bring back now, most of the others would have me rolling my eyes *cough* Logan *cough*. It may have strained plausibility a little to have him suddenly show up so soon after Margot's demise but hey, this isn't the show to question plausibility.

Looks like we're heading for one of the best seasons. A pity that the shortened season undermines the whole premise.

When the sub fired on the Chinese boat I was thinking they stole the idea from Last Resort. If only the captain had gone down the 'honour in defiance' route everything would have been fine.
Flag
Wow the past few episodes have been really great and overall the season is arguably the best one yet, proving once more that shorter seasons are the way to go.
Flag
Time jump prediction: last episode is in Beijing, Moscow or US soil.
Flag
12 episodes are definitely not enough. We need a full 24-episode season!
Flag
No! Then, we will have too many lame subplots and slow parts. Ugh! I'd like to see a movie. Call it 2.4 for 2.4 hours? ;)
Flag
Oh, no. I can't stop now. I feel like the season is just beginning, and now there are just two episodes left? No way!
Flag
I honestly hope they don't do a time jump. Sure the show is called 24 but it's known as much for the real-time aspect as it is for being over a 24 hour period.

That being said. If they do a time jump I'd like a sort of epilogue of dialogues in the final episode from various characters at various times to wrap things up!
Flag
Jack and Kate are a fantastic team. They work beautifully together.

What Sub-on-Sub attack? The USS Massachusetts sunk a Chinese aircraft-carrier.
Flag
24: Live another day has been doing very well. Now I am hoping for it to come back next summer and hopefully with the very beautiful Yvonne Strahovski .
Flag
And keep Chloe!
Flag
...and lose Chloe's makeup!
Flag
I agree with that. My wife who has not watch a single episode of 24 previous seasons asked me why Cross would fall in love with someone looking like that (I think she meant the makeup). Ha !
Flag
no Chloe looks awesome!!
Flag
I'm guessing the final episode time lag is for Jack to be able to fly back to Los Angeles to see his daughter.
Flag
Maybe it will lend with a cliffhanger for it with a cougar stalking her. ;)
Flag
Cheng is just the middle-bad.
Flag
working for tony hahah
Flag
I think Yvonne Strahovski is doing a great job and could carry the torch for the next 24 without problem.
This makes me think that it is high time we have a "best female agent of 2014" poll. Could be fun.
Flag
I agree, so far in this season I have found myself thinking more than once that they should "reboot" 24 with Yvonne as the lead after this season. She is more than able to carry such a role in my opinion
Flag
That's been my theory all along. Jack dies at the end of this season. Kate becomes the new Jack. The torch is handed off.

If Jack does die, I do hope that Chuck Norris shows up at the funeral.
Flag
I have to wonder if that is their intention or at least to make an attempt to do so. The parallels between her and Jack, not only in their backstory but in the way they go about trying to solve the problem is way to similar for that to be merely a coincidence.

I would watch a 24 season with Yvonne at the helm. Well I would watch anything with her in it but that is beside the point.
Flag
And here I thought the Russians really wanted to bring Jack to justice. But damn if one of the Russian goons say let's make sure they're dead and whip out the AK's when they learned nobody's dead.
Such an eye for an eye world we live in.
Flag
Could someone please explain what happened to Chloe's husband and son? I didn't hear it clearly from Adrian.
Flag
Cross told her that her family really only died because of an accident - there was no conspiracy there and no one tried to kill her.
So she didn't have a reason to flee the country, but Cross didn't mention it because he was afraid that she would leave him and the UK.
Flag
Yeah kinda disappointed with that whole storyline. I think it would have been cooler if his hacker team had survive and to bring Chloe his side he show her 100% proof that a US government official did order their deaths, which be even cooler if the Chinese general then killed them all except or at least held them hostage, The we could seen her having to choose between revenge and helping the Chinese and saving lives. Now it just borind Chloe being ordered around by the Chinese and us waiting for Jack to rescue her again.
Flag
Thank you. I hope Chloe survives the day.
Flag
I've been happy with how this season hasn't put characters in the exact roles of the past. The characters are shaded a little more subtly than in the past, and it definitely helps things feel fresh even though the storylines are not necessarily original. It feels like 24 but it feels more clean.

So, though this season has been fun and concise... this was the episode that felt vintage 24. This proves the season was worth doing, and if the last two episodes are as strong as the last few have been, we're in for a treat.
Flag
Cheng is back...ohhh man its going to be fun watching Jack take him down. Paybacks a bitch! lol
Flag
I want to see Cheng take Jack down.
Flag
I wanna see Cheng's face when he realizes Jack is so close.
Flag
Confirmed: the final hour of the show will cover 10:00 PM-11:00 AM, so it will cover the final 13 hours of the 24 hour period. Not sure how it will work, but that's where the time jumping will happen.
Flag
I'm guessing the time jump is going to involve Jack being captured by either the Chinese or the Russians.
Flag
one of those great episodes of 24 with a super suprise in the hat, i give it up for the writers this season...they are pulling out the old stops and twists that made 24 great, cheng zhi is the pefect villain to bring back into the picture with the chineese story brought back and the russians in the mix phew!!!!!!!!!! i cant wait for episode 11...
Flag
The time jump is supposed to happen within the final episode. The title confirms it.
Flag
Erm, two things, Cory:
-It was a sub-on-carrier attack, actually
-That scene where Kate put a gun to Navarro's head was an act (well, to a degree anyways) between her and Jack. It was beautifully crafted and took me back to the first season, when Nina was making interrogation profiles for Jack so he knew which buttons to push. In this case, Jack and Kate played on Navarro's cowardice and pride by threatening his life and challenging his knowledge and/or ability. That was *nicely* done, J&K!
Flag
Beutifully craft and so utterly predictable that I spent the whole scene just waiting for jack to come in and show it was all and act.
Flag
I also liked how the interrogation played on Navarro (and everyone, really) constantly nagging Kate about her husband and accusing her of being too emotional. Navarro fell for J&K's act because he underestimated her and assumed she would lose sight of the mission because of her girly emotions.
"You only think Jack is up to something because of your husband!"
"You only want to go back in the field to prove yourself!"
"You only withstood torture to make up for not realizing your husband betrayed us!"
"You're only putting that gun to my head because.... oh. damnit"
Flag
Is it weird that I have almost no recollection of Cheng? It's been a long time, but still.
Flag
His face looked familiar and I couldn;'t remember where until it was mentioned!
Flag
Don't remember the season, but right at the end Cheng blind sides Jack and says "You didn't think we would forget, did you?". That was one of the biggest cliffhanger seasons.
Flag
Not a lot of action like last week's episode, but still good. Wow, so many countries now including the old ones! Sheesh, I wonder how this will get resolved with only two/2 episodes left. Or is it going to have a cliffanger in the season finale? :P

Also, I think there was another damn which was very quiet but shown in subtitles/closed captionings (CCs) according to my recording:
00:04:02,292 --& 00:04:03,992
Just so he could sell it
to terrorists

00:04:04,027 --& 00:04:05,093
and line his own pockets.

00:04:05,128 --& 00:04:06,895
Never gave a damn
about the fact

00:04:06,930 --& 00:04:08,263
that it could be worth
far more.
00:07:27,897 --& 00:07:30,065
Damn it.

00:07:42,979 --& 00:07:45,413
(panting)

00:07:54,490 --& 00:07:57,092
I'm approaching
the west side of the station.

00:07:57,126 --& 00:07:58,827
ADRIAN:
Should be a blue
construction wall

00:07:58,861 --& 00:08:00,462
just ahead of you on your left.
00:09:02,525 --& 00:09:04,326
Where is the override device?!

00:09:04,360 --& 00:09:06,828
Cuff him.

00:09:21,577 --& 00:09:22,577
Damn it.

00:09:47,470 --& 00:09:48,903
Out of the way!

00:09:48,938 --& 00:09:50,772
Out of the way! Move!
More+
Flag
Is it only me that are thinking that the producers will inform us that these twelve hours were the first of two mid-seasons that thogether will complete the 24 of the title?
Flag
That'd be great... after this episode, I could definitely watch another 12! But there are only two episodes left, sigh.
Flag
Maybe it will end as a cliffhanger!
Flag
That would be nice! ^^
Flag
24 keeps getting better and better!!!
Flag
Happy Birthday, Yvonne!

Flag
July 30, not June 30.
Flag
Are you certain, like you've checked?
Flag
Go back up to the article and click on Yvonne's name hotlink. It's there.
Flag
Hang in there Kerkesh.
Flag
Sorry, you were right. it's the fasting.
Flag
She's still sexy too!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    America's Got Talent Live Show 3
    NEW
    NBC
  •  
    Bachelor in Paradise
    NEW