A 24 Community
FOX (ended 2010)

*Remember to give the GIF Party a HEART of you enjoy 24 and/or the recap I provided. All of us amateur writers depend on you guys to let us know you like the work we do

They went there. I didn’t think they would go there – but they most definitely went there. One of the great things about recapping 24 is that although there are different things happening in real time, each episode has to be focused on the ground immediately in front of it. When there is major dilemma, the show keeps it firmly in its cross-hairs as the hour passes. It makes for an easy review since I don’t have to jump all over the place including 5 different plot threads.

In this case, last week ended with President Heller’s decision to sacrifice himself to Margot A-Harazi in exchange for destruction of the drones. This week, we spent a cold, calculating hour building the suspense to the resolution of this bargain. Jack Bauer and gang had the hour to find an alternative that Heller would accept thereby breaking his deal with the devil. With the fact “THEY ARE RUNNING OUT OF TIME”™, the only alternative would be to find Margot and Son and/or find a way to shut down the drones they control. Hour 8 dedicated itself to the race to beat Heller’s deadly deadline.

The best place for Team Jack to start is with Simone. She has been brought to the C.I.A. Blacksite and is getting medical attention. Because she showed a willingness to betray her mother once, the hope is she would have some enthusiasm to do it again after her Mum threw about 43 drones at her. She is practically on death’s door and needs to remain unconscious in order to have any chance at survival.

Ha. That is rich.

Meanwhile, Navarro’s assassin remains confused as to why a clean shot to the upper arm didn’t result in Jordan’s instant death. Silly assassin.

Jordan leaves a trail of blood for the assassin to follow and finish the job.

Unfortunately Kate spends most of the episode talking on the phone, getting orders from the man she initially was willing to put into the ground.

One again, Kate displays her resume for being the next Jack as she quite easily sticks a gun in the Doctor’s gut, encouraging him to comply. Wake the bitch up, indeed!

He does and Simone is downright chatty for someone close to death. She not only gives up the initial location but tells Kate about the disks that Naveed left. Simone knows Mum will be long gone, but those disks would allow a hack back into the Drone control systems – rendering the drones safe once again. Kate sends a TacTeam to retrieve whatever they can find.

President Heller is reminded that the result of keeping his daughter in the dark about his plan is that he won’t be able to properly say goodbye. Under the guise of wanting to see an old family picture, he pops in on Audrey who has her head buried in a computer.

Busy busy busy.

After chatting for a second, she breaks off to get back to work. Heller knows she has no idea this is goodbye and that anything she is working on means nothing compared to this final chat. William Devane is just fantastic here as is Kim Raver. This could have been played for complete cheese, but it was well done and realistic – making me remember all the insignificant “priorities” that stole minutes away from time I could have spent with a loved one. We never know when we are saying goodbye.

Jordan is not happy. Apparently.

Screaming at Navarro for extraction, but in my mind I believe he is starting to realize the man he is talking to indeed might be the one who ordered his death. There is a brief conversation between Navarro and Cross, one rat informing another (falsely) the problem had been taken care of.

Jack took some convincing. He did not want any part of Heller’s plan to “negotiate with terrorists”. But Heller had an ace up his sleeve: WWJD. What Would Jack Do? And Jack knew damn well (because he has agreed to do it countless times) self-sacrifice is a way of life for him. What puts him totally on board is Heller telling him about his Alzheimer’s disease, that he is at the stage where he will soon lose his identity. And that this final act is a way to go out on his terms – saving many lives in the process.

After a little impromptu surgery to remove a tracking chip, they both go into Ninja mode. One final light moment with our soon to be former President:

Heller has been around awhile in the world of 24 and has had to hear about all the awful things Jack has had to do. But it is funny to see his reaction when he witnesses it up close.

Off they go to Wembley Stadium …the prearranged site for the surrender.

I am not sure if Navarro shops at Murder Mart, K-Killer or Assasins-R-Us, but this dude is awful. The fucking computer hipster guy gets the drop on him and disarms him rather easily. Unfortunately, he is also apparently dumb enough to fall for the “is the safety on” trick and a tussle ensues.

By his closed eyes and labored breathing, it is hard to tell if there was a winner in this fight quite yet. We are led to believe Jordan is mortally wounded.

The TacTeam arrives at the former location of Al-Harazi.

They find the disks, but when Kate turns to get Jordan to help her with the upload to Chloe, she finds him gone. Ruh-Row. Navarro plays dumb but Kate is too smart to buy what he is selling. It is only a matter of time…

I just have to say…I have missed Chloe. In real time she has been basically out of my life for 2 weeks. In the world of 24, however, she has been scarce for about two hours as she had to bolt the lair and set up shop in a pub.

I wish I could have grabbed more of her reaction to “drunk guy” messing with her.
Jack wants results NOW knowing that if the data she received isn’t put into practice in the next couple of minutes, President Heller is going to be wearing one of those drone missiles to the prom. Chloe doesn’t have ideal working conditions and Jack just begs her to do the best she can.

Hour 8 is almost complete. Cue the split screens:

Jack says his goodbyes to Heller as he marches out on to the pitch at Wembley Stadium. Both Simone and Jordan are barely hanging on to their lives. Chloe orders another round of Guinness, gets the name of the cute guy in the corner, and still gets close to wrestling away control of the drones from Margot. The last frame that didn’t make it to the .gif was Audrey, who found out her father’s plan and already tore Mark a new on. While she was breaking down, my guess is this time she does not go catatonic.

Heller arrives at midfield.

Facial recognition verifies it is indeed the President. Margot is the one who wants to pull the trigger.

As I said. Yeah. They went there.

RIP President Heller.

See you in an hour!

-* Edshrinker*-

64 Comments
Comments (64)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
So gang. WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!! We have to figure out how it's done before Monday!

Clearly it is Heller walking in Wembley Stadium:

But the video of the drone strike, you can't see the bleachers. And Heller is standing on a chalk line not previously there:

And the actual shot is of the explosion in Wembley (the video feed seems to be different).

Thoughts?
Flag
white line there when just focusing on Heller but no white line in the bit with the missile approaching the "body" and hitting it. Hmm… maybe Heller is alive and that explains the lack of the silent clock
Flag
Did you see the tweets I posted? I think that Mary Lynn gave it away.
Flag
can you tell me via pm or are they the ones you posted here? I'm not a fan of twitter but if they are posted here then I saw them and the key word is "appears"
Flag
They are - but I think the showrunners tweet answering about the silent clock) is cryptic but really revealing. ("or is it?")

But this is the kicker:

MAJOR SPOILER for 24: Live Another Day Episode 9
Flag
ok, not "appears" but the phrase "sure looks that way" so the key word is "looks" but I may be reading too much into it
Flag
Mary Lynn. You naughty naughty spoiler whore! DAMMIT CHLOE!!!

1. @rajskub controversy is brewing on the Internet about whether Heller is really dead! thoughts?
@bitingtea: @rajskub controversy is brewing on the Internet about whether Heller is really dead! thoughts?” Sure looks like it :)
Flag
Am I the only one who wished they would honor President Heller's demise with a silent clock?
Flag
I think we have our answer on the Silent Clock if you read the showrunners reply:

1. @TheDavidFury how can you guys 'forget' to include the silent clock for Heller. Makes no sense @evanjoshuakatz @HowardMGordon #MannyCoto
@vaughnramdeen: @TheDavidFury how can you guys 'forget' to include the silent clock for Heller. Makes no sense.” Or does it?
Flag
Not at all. I read that on several recaps. Especially since Heller has been in the 24 world for a while. That was definitely a misstep.
Flag
Nobody else thinking that Cross look modeled on Gru from Despicable Me?

Just can't shake it...

(can't upload picture without violating some law it seeems)
Flag

That is a funny observation from a guy with the screen name PixarFR

I think you have an obsession! LOL
Flag
Pixar didn't do Despicable Me did they ?
Flag
I meant more from an animation standpoint it was funny - but I am not sure if they did or not. That was one of my favorite animated sequels ever, though
Flag
I finally caught up on 24! YAY! to myself!
Again a strong episode, I didn't knew I miss 24 so much until it aired again with this fun season.
Great gifs, Eddy!
RIP Pres. Heller! William Devane will be missed, I always like to see him on tv.
Flag
Unless he is selling me gold.
Flag
Is there an annoying ad with him? Errr... sorry, didn't know, that would put me off too.
Flag
Goldline. Yeah - it is repetitive and annoying. But the man does ooze presidential charisma.

After that drone missile - he is certainly oozing.
Flag
Oh man.....I'm totally late to this shin dig. I was over at Halt and Catch Fire doing rails with a couple of people and then I realized I needed mellow out with some heroin so I came here. ;)
HELLER CAN'T BE DEAD!!!! No way! Some miracle happened, I know it! They will however keep him "dead" until the last hour and it'll be revealed to Audrey only and they will take him to a secret care facility so the world will never know of his Alzheimer's. Ok I could be dead wrong but I am also hopeful.
Flag
Is Cross now the 24-mole? Is he in Jack's camp but working for an enemy? If so, he might be the one and only real mole that will almost take Jack down. But who does he work for, it has to be someone with an interest in not letting Jack do hos work. I know we heard it were the Chines, but is that enough? Might it also be the Russians who hate Jack or another terrorist or some company?
Flag
Although not that many things happened in this episode, a lot of characters were moving on the board and they were set up to act just before the time jump (I just understood we will lose about 12 hours in between). That Time jump will be used to regroup so the last hours will be catching the bad guys definitively.
Flag
LOOOL 'jeez Jack' gotta love Heller. The whole sequence reminded me a bit of when jack rescued Audrey and her father in season 4.

I expect Margot to finally show some honour towards Heller only for her son to do something foolish which will result in one of there deaths.
Jack was quite agitated in this ep i thought. It was a good way of adding to the tension. Usually Jack is in control even if he is doing something 'off book' but he was helpless..In his desperation he clung to the hope that Simone could tell him something
Flag
I am surprise they killed Heller. I'm so worried that Audrey's douchy husband will use Heller's death as a way of turning Jack over to the Chinese!
JACK CAN'T DIE. I like Kate but she is no Jack Bauer!

I think Margo will try to keep her word but her son will go against her and attempt to use the drones rather than destroy them.

I loved Heller's take on "what would Jack do"…lol, so awesome!

Best line: "wake the bitch up"

This party is to celebrate Heller's life! Remember when he had Audrey were kidnapped and bound together. Heller was pretty bad ass. He could be annoying at times (like when he lied to Audrey and didn't expose/use the info she and Jack obtained….audrey had called her dad when he was on the plane)…BUT HE PARDONED JACK and Jack, badass that he is, don't seem to care and is more concerned about Heller pulling a Bauer (sacrificing himself for the good of the world). I have a huge crush on Jack (not Kiefer but Jack, lol).

now, where are all the drugs? freakin' bogarts everywhere;-) lol
Flag
The only reason i keep harping on Kate as the new Jack is because Kiefer said he is done and I want more 24. I love Yvonne - she is bad ass and beyond sexy. I would tune in to watch her in a story set in this series. And maybe they could talk Kiefer into special appearances.
Flag
Did you bring the syringes from work? Jack isn't much on sharing, but i can hook you up.

Agree with everything you said. Some Recaps are convinced Heller could still be alive. Chloe can work miracles as far as altering video - but she couldn't get anything done from that Pub with drunk dudes hitting on her and her awful eye make-up.

I think Margot will want to keep her word, but the kid will fuck that up. He is just a little punk, so Drone control has to go to someone else ...and i already voted Cross.

I think Mark was actually sincere when he and Jack came to terms to help Heller get out. I think he may be regretting what he did. And now - heller cannot dispute that signed document to the Russians, so Mark does not have to be afraid of Mr Mustache exposing his treason. He can do the right thing. And i think he will.

Flag
I am one off those who believe Heller is still alive. I believe in the tv-law that when someone is not shown to be dead, he/she might not be (or probably just isn't) dead. It often works when the camera turns away before the killing, but it also might work where we see something like this in the last second.

No, I do not believe Chloe took over that drone completely, but she mentioned channel 2 and 3 a few minutes before without knowing what they were. I believe that we will hear later it was a Chekhov's gun and she was able to use one of those two channels to deceive Margot and son.
Flag
LOL! "TV-Law"! I too believe in if you don't see a body or the death then there is a chance of survival! Plus there wasn't a silent clock!!!!!
Flag
Actually - not having the silent clock is the best reason I have heard that he could still be alive. That would be really off from 24 to not give a guy like Heller that honor.
Flag
I agree about Margot and her punk son.

I agree about Cross.

Mark may be sincere but he can't say he forged it because that is treason so he may still say Heller signed it. I doubt he can say the Russians forged it because I'm sure that wouldn't be worth it politically in him mind and the Russians probably have all of it recorded. Mark may be the downfall of Jack and that would SUCK!

Flag
Well - what I meant is Heller isn't around anymore to say - "Dude! I never signed that shit". So that is a secret Mark can now not worry about being exposed by anyone.

Unless Heller Lives!! Dun dun Dunnnnnn
Flag
They can hack drones but can't hire a sniper? Seriously they blew the man up with a missile. One of about 40 they've fired in London. And why was Heller willing to die to save London again? His Alzheimer's must have progressed fast because I think he forgot that London is not an American city. For some reason the evil son wasn't nearly as excited about blowing up Heller as he was when he blew up that brick. RIP to that brick.
Flag
Ian is a douche that thinks its a video game. He would like to go right on firing at anything. I think Margot will be satisfied, but Ian won't be.
Flag
The plan to give himself up was just between Jack Heller and Mark. NOt sure if the PM would have even agreed to let Heller give himself up for his own city. BUt since they were American drones doing all that damage to an ally - he felt responsible for the death and destruction. He even mentions all the dead at the hospital from the failed attempt on Simone.

I think he knows, the fact he stayed in office and made serious decisions, without disclosing his disease would have lead to a shit storm just retiring wouldn't have helped. This was his way of doing the right thing, the last thing, to make amends.
Flag
Great hour of 24 , but does anyone know when the jump in time happens there is not many episodes left?
Flag
I was told hour 9. I am not sure if that meant during next hour or after.
Flag
Hm, a time jump? Didn't know that. Curious what will happen.
Flag
Great episode although they did drag it out next time I wanna got to wembley to see the footy I call jack 10 mins ? Anymore London locations due for demolish by the drones (Queen Vic, Palace , Convent Garden , etc) Amazing Chole can get free WIFi in that pub also she should turned around to the drunk and knee capped him! I suspect Jordan will die of canal poisioning before he gets help only three hours to go for Jack.
Flag
I remember the trailers having shots of streets being set on fire. We haven't seen those yet so you might get what you want. Weren't Jack, Chloe and Kate in there on the street together?
Flag
I really wanted to see some of Bauer come out of her with the drunk guy. Although Chloe just does "annoyed" as painfully as if she did just kneecap him. Her looks sting!
Flag
Is it just me, or was the only thing that actually happened tonight, the Heller explosion?

I actually thought they would have waited till 7:01 to pull the trigger. But, of course, then nothing would have happened tonight.

Jordan is not dead. I'd lay money on that. He'll be saved by some civilian who wanders into the garage.

A couple of GIF's near the end wouldn't show up on my screen.
'Hour 8 is almost complete'
and
'Heller arrives at midfield'
Just empty image place-holders, even after a couple of reloads.
And I just know they were awesome.

Heller of a way to go.
Flag
"Heller of a way to go." I know I shouldn't laugh or say "good one" but I did and GOOD ONE! ;)
Flag
Absolutely ...and I was cool with that. William Devane has played a big part of the series and I was cool they devoted the whole thing to his final hour. I really didn't expect them to do it, though. I have admit - I was shocked he went splat.

Jordan will survive long enough (or survive totally) at least until he can stear Kate to the info that would exonerate her hubby ..thereby exonerating herself.

Heller of a party

PS - Let me know if those last GIFs load for you. If not, I should contact @jessicakroeber to see if I need to reload the images or if they can fix it. Or if it maybe is just a slow load for you.
Flag
No problems at all, loaded in a few seconds.
Flag
this one loaded faster than usual for me but I have had problems with other GIF heavy articles in the past.
Flag
I really reduced GIF size. I gotta think that is helping. these things are only 512x288 now. I know they don't take as long to load when i am writing the post.
Flag
Staff
With this many gifs, there is likely to be a pretty long load time but things should appear eventually. Looks okay to me right now so that's good!
Flag
Third time's the charm. I don't know what the problem was.
Flag
Staff
We are looking into the slow load times to see if we can nail down why sometimes they won't load. Hopefully we can improve this soon.
Flag
Very cool. I was just surprise that they devoted a whole hour to getting him to the stadium.

Kind of a small party here tonight. When do the rest show up?
Or has everyone gone to the staff party. ;-)
Flag
Yep, took a few sips, had some good conversations, made a pun or two but am back now to the serious business of killing a president.
Flag
Jack left his heroin somewhere around here...
Flag
lolo
Flag
Actually, i finished only minutes before you arrived. So the doors just opened. I still have to tap the keg.

But yeah -I believe Cory gets a screener so he has a good half day jump on me with the Staff review. But he will run out of recreational drugs long before I do.
Flag
Yep, that's me. Always the first to arrive at parties.
Now, about those drugs...
Flag
I am using Firefox and they are loading fine on mine. You sometimes have to give the page a couple minutes to load totally - depending on how sluggish the site is.
Flag
They came up third time I tried reloading. I've no idea what the problem was.
Flag
This interweb is a fickle bitch
Flag
The whole upload was really glitchy. Let me check it out.
Flag
Oh, I almost forgot. I'd also lay money on Margo not keeping her word.
Flag
she will try to keep her word but her son won't
Flag
Complete agree with you (at least that is what the writers want us to think).
Flag
so true~~it's what the writers want us to think!
Flag
Exactly what I was thinking. I am thinking somehow he will get the Drone control over to old "Double" Cross. That guy just has "Big Bad" written all over him
Flag
The way her son was all wishy washy about giving up the drones - I think he may turn on Mum and do something silly. I also think Cross is going to play the part of a Bigger Bad. Now that Chloe has the disks that can access the drones, if she trust him with it, he could steal the drones and sell to the highest bidder. He is that kind of rat.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    500 Questions
    NEW
    ABC