Day 4: 4:00 A.M. - 5:00 A.M.

Aired Monday 8:00 PM May 16, 2005 on FOX

• Marwan escapes! Egads, who could've seen that coming?! And guess what Jack does? That's right, he finds a new lead! Where do the writers get these ideas?!?!

It's true that a terrorist's escape is kind of a staple for "24." But the escapes in other seasons tend to be better written than this cheap crap. And at least the other seasons have the decency not to overdo it; even S6 knows better than to pad itself by having henchmen come out of nowhere to help our main villain escape for the umpteenth time. No, S6 pads itself a bit more subtly, but we'll get there later.
    So, S4 uses The Formula once again as Marwan miraculously gets away, leaving the good guys to try and stop the missile from reaching its unknown target. Their latest lead turns out to be Richard Heller, the guy who wouldn't divulge information last time he was at CTU.
    When his father comes back from his eight-hour absence, Richard finally cracks, coming out of the closet in the process. Not that there's anything wrong with that (except that in the final few hours, with a deadline regarding a nuclear warhead, this seems rather arbitrary). His info leads CTU straight to Mandy. Yes, that Mandy. Some plot contrivance causes Curtis to stay behind, so Tony has to accompany Jack instead and get his life endangered, potentially disrupting his newly rekindled relationship with Michelle. Hey, for all I care at this point, Mandy can off him.
    Logan, Palmer, and Novick do some dumb filler crap.
    As the final Formula episode of the season, this one had to be special in some way: one of the first leads of the season returns to guide Jack to one of the first villains we ever met in the show. Wish I were more excited, though—S4 is like milk that went sour when the carton was still half full. Hey, I like that.

Hourly Highlight:
    Sweaty, topless Mandy. I like that more.