Day 4: 6:00 A.M. - 7:00 A.M.

Aired Monday 8:00 PM May 23, 2005 on FOX

• "Meh" finish to a "meh" season

This season surrendered all hope of going out with a mindblowing bang hours ago. It could only pray for something a few decibels higher than a whimper. The ending we get is bit louder than that, but it's still my least favorite finale of the eight.

It follows the structure of the S1 finale; the first twenty minutes focus on the main threat, and the rest on a mini-threat that recently emerged. The end of the Marwan/warhead arc is quite anti-climactic. I admit that both the sequence leading to Marwan's suicide and the suicide itself are pretty cool, despite the worst greenscreen effect I've ever witnessed. But it's cheap that CTU still realized the missile was heading to Los Angeles (doy), and all that buildup for a little firework was just as cheap, if not cheaper.

Logan then prepares to hand Jack over to the Chinese government, but Novick and Palmer learn of Walt Cummings' secret plan to kill him instead. So Jack formulates a plan with Tony, Michelle, and Chloe to fake his death, and it's all over with before 7:00 AM.

"Rushed" is a good way to put it, but "reckless" and "clumsy" are better. The show has certainly seen worse episodes, but this one nonetheless has too much crammed into it (the same could be said for the entire second half of this season), and what should've had me biting my nails instead had me scoffing. However, what really worries me is that my least favorite finale is the first one without a sappy Jack-and-Kim reunion.

Hourly Highlight:

Jack walking off into the sunrise. It can't make up for a moderately crappy S4, but I wouldn't worry...